Sorry not bike related in the slightest.

every car/truck manufacture has built junk I am a firm Chevy truck person
I have a 2001 Silverado V-8 alright gas mileage for a truck 172369 miles on it bought it new the only repairs todate are water pump at 90,000 miles two batteries, front and rear brake pads at 100,000 miles on fuel pump at 70,000
and lots of maintance. Now my wife has a 2003 nissian frontier truck she loves it I hate it I think it is junk but that my opion. I have see other 2001 chevy trucks that had nothing but problems (Worked at a Chevy dealership for 23 years) I guess all the trucks in the parking lot that day I picked the right one.

Danny I will have a look for the bleeder. Does the engine need to be running at temperature to bleed the system?
I normally use a cooling system pressure tester to pressurize the system.if you don't have one then yes you'll have to run the engine to build the pressure needed to burp the system. I don't know if you have an autozone around where you live, they will loan you one for a $20.00 deposit. if not maybe a local parts house has one you can use. I would get one either way even if you don't have a bleeder screw. pressurize the system and see if it is losing pressure the coolant may be going out the exhaust if you don't see it in the oil.
to check your water pump, most water pumps on the outer housing have a weep hole. if you see coolant coming out of that, thats a sign your water pump has exceeded it's life. I'm not familiar with the engine in your car so I don't really know the exact setup you've got, some cars the water pump is driven by the timing belt others by an accessory belt.

P.S. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, slamming KIA. I've had three friends that "had" them. two were Rio's, and one spectra. they all had major problems. I wasn't aware of it till after I bought the Sorento. then I thought is was just in the cheaper cars until the problems started with the Sorento
and for the record we had the Sorento for 5 months and it had 5327 miles on it when I traded it in on the Yukon.

P.S. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, slamming KIA. I've had three friends that "had" them. two were Rio's, and one spectra. they all had major problems. I wasn't aware of it till after I bought the Sorento. then I thought is was just in the cheaper cars until the problems started with the Sorento
and for the record we had the Sorento for 5 months and it had 5327 miles on it when I traded it in on the Yukon.
Thanks Danny,
No offense taken with the dig at KIA. I am not a brand loyal maniac. Infact this is only the third care I have owned. If it had not been for my wife I would never have got into four wheels. I did extensive literature research into SUV that were in my price range. This problem was not un-covered. I was aware of some of the electric issues and also a problem with the hydrolic steering. These problems had been sorted on my SUV through out its service history. I really got it as my previous KIA was so good. I will not buy another KIA. I am stuck with it for four years though as it will be to expensive to get out of the finance.

The stuff you mention to check is all a bit beyond my mechanical skills well with cars anyway. I am just trying to arm myself with some facts before I go back to confront the garage where I got it from. I am thinking though that its head gasket or water pump.

Last edited:
Thanks Boneman,
I left the car running today for 40 minutes, the bloody guage only just reached the first 1/4. So I went for a rag around the block. I will check the level in the morning. One thing I did notice was. When I booted it the temp guage danced up and down before settling.
I can see a small amount of oil on the outside crankcase. But no more than I would expect for a 6 year-old engine with 80,000 miles on it.
I really appriciate your advice as I am not a gifted engine mechanic. I want to be able to present a strong argument to the dealer when I take it back.
I will check the oil tomorrow to see if there is any coolant in it.

Thanks Man.

I just asked my car mechanic and he said the water pump may have packed up causing the head gasket to blow hence why the loss of coolant.
I would take it back to the garage and let them sort it.:thumbup:

Neil. First check is mayonaise under the oil cap on top of the engine. If there isn't any then shove some radweld in the radiator. Then, sell the Kia and buy something like mine but with 7 seats and a diesel engine. It will NEVER die:

Buy a used MERCEDES-BENZ - Auto Trader UK

On the other hand if you want someone to have a free look at it let me know. I have a mate who is a mechanic and could help

Neil. First check is mayonaise under the oil cap on top of the engine. If there isn't any then shove some radweld in the radiator. Then, sell the Kia and buy something like mine but with 7 seats and a diesel engine. It will NEVER die:

Buy a used MERCEDES-BENZ - Auto Trader UK

On the other hand if you want someone to have a free look at it let me know. I have a mate who is a mechanic and could help

Diesels will never die? Do you sell swamp property in Florida too?

No no no. Some diesels do die. My old Passat did. Good. I hated it. No what I meant was a Mercedes W124 (1990's E class) will never die. Small exaggeration I know but not far from the truth.

I have a 2001 2.9 diesel Kia sedona. I have only had it a month and It is using coolant like nobodys business.
I have topped it up and ran it to release any air locks. I did 50 miles yesterday and today needed to add 1.5 litres (2.5 pints) of coolant.
Im thinking head gasket as there are no leaks from the coolant system itself. The smoke out of the rear is clear. How can I tell if its in the oil.
There is some bubbling in the radiator with the cap off.

Neil

Any news on the kia yet mate?

I am still impressed that they even make a diesel Kia, have you thought about the bio diesel conversion? Run that pig off of cooking oil :rockon:

I was watching top gear and they had a bit on the hot people carriers and I'd love to get one of those ford 2.0 turbo ones over here and turn upo the boost. But then again I'm a turbo ford nut anyhow. A Sierra 4x4 cosworth turbo is the older one that I'd really like to have.

Khyren

Fight for your rights Neil. I bought my wife a 2001 VW Golf last year. The day after we bought it it broke down. Engine fired up but there were clouds of smoke and the power steering stopped working. Turned out the aircon had packed in, the bearings had gone in the pulley thing and that wore the auxilliary belt down (hence the smoke) which then snapped. I phoned up the garage and they wanted nothing to do with it. I got a quote of 800 pounds.

Basically I had to phone and phone and phone. The salesman avoided me so I started on the manager who also avoided me. I called in unnanounced one day and spoke to the manager. I eventually (after a weeks chasing) got them to admit it was their liability. They then spent a week trying (but one very hard) to get a part. I got bored of this and sourced one myself. I then arranged for the part supplier to deliver to the garage. After about 3 weeks we had the car back. The garage who sold me the car paid for everything but I had to do all the legwork myself.

So don't give up. Don't accept unreasonable delay and don't be afraid to stand your ground!!!! And try this dude Honest John. He has a column in the saturday telegraph and will give you advice if you email him.

Thanks Lugs, I was wondering how long the good will would last with the garage. I'm not to hot on statatory rights.
Hows the interviews going mate?

Back