Sorry not bike related in the slightest.

You can return an unsaisfactory good. Look it up on honest john for the detail. I had an interview today and one next Monday for Defence Estates down in Aldershot. That's sounds like a cool job.

Kia now sorted, blown head gasket and faulty sterring casette. Total cost to me £0.00
cost to garage £1200.00.
New head gasket, head skimmed and new cam belt. I am delighted I didn't get stung for that outside the warrenty period.
Just one thing though, the fan belt is a bit squeaky. Its not slipping and once the engine is warm the noise is gone.
Do I need to send it back again to adjust it?
I am assuming that its a bit to tight?
Will it be ok to leave it until May when I plan to get it serviced?

Cheers

Neil

Whoaa. What the ecky thump is an elite member??? Glad you got the car sorted mate. The belt shouldn't squeak coming back from the garage. Call them up Monday

I have only had my car out of the garage for for one month of the four I have owned it. I dont want to have to send it back again. I wil if its totally necessary.
Elite member £20.00 for 20 year exclusive membership to the forum with an e-mail package at a Bargin:thumbup:

Last edited:
fanbelts some times squeak after repairs like this, they have a tendancy to suck in any coolant that is spilt on them and squeal like a right royal pain, the belt also may not be adjustable as most have gone to auto tensioners, first give it a spray with wd (or the like), if this doesnt fix it bring it around and ill have a look (oops bit far to come sorry), good to hear job was done under warranty, if it keeps squealing take it back us mechanics are human and they may of slipped up.

fanbelts some times squeak after repairs like this, they have a tendancy to suck in any coolant that is spilt on them and squeal like a right royal pain, the belt also may not be adjustable as most have gone to auto tensioners, first give it a spray with wd (or the like), if this doesnt fix it bring it around and ill have a look (oops bit far to come sorry), good to hear job was done under warranty, if it keeps squealing take it back us mechanics are human and they may of slipped up.
Mate I'm coming to Aus in 2010, so I may just do that.
Thanks for your help, will WD cause any damage to the belt?

no, use it all the time, either that or rubber grease, wd's one of those things you use on everything (well almost)

That was the origional problem mate. I didn't fancy eating oil so I used a urine dip stick from work that reacts to glycerol.
Thanks for the tip though.

Car fixed and runnig sweet. The bloody speedo has just stopped working.

Were does a diesel speedo run from? crank ot gearbox?
any one got a good site to download manuals?

thanks in advance

Neil:thumbup:

Car fixed and runnig sweet. The bloody speedo has just stopped working.

Were does a diesel speedo run from? crank ot gearbox?
any one got a good site to download manuals?

thanks in advance

Neil:thumbup:

Neil, generally speaking the speedo is driven off a cable that goes from the cluster to the extension housing in the transmission where it runs off a small gear that is driven by a larger gear on the transmission output shaft. Around 1990 or so we got away from the driven gear as electronics came into play and we started using a PM generator signal where the pulse came from the same location but it sent an electronic signal as opposed to a cable drive up to the speedo head. Our bikes have a similar set up. Years ago we used drive mechanisms that were driven off the front wheels on bikes and the left front wheel on cages.

every car/truck manufacture has built junk I am a firm Chevy truck person
I have a 2001 Silverado V-8 alright gas mileage for a truck 172369 miles on it bought it new the only repairs todate are water pump at 90,000 miles two batteries, front and rear brake pads at 100,000 miles on fuel pump at 70,000
and lots of maintance. Now my wife has a 2003 nissian frontier truck she loves it I hate it I think it is junk but that my opion. I have see other 2001 chevy trucks that had nothing but problems (Worked at a Chevy dealership for 23 years) I guess all the trucks in the parking lot that day I picked the right one.

The old saying is never buy a truck built on a Monday or Friday. lol

Chev man myself i couldn't afford a full size so i got a baby truck 2005 colorado with the I5 220 HP. good power and pretty good gas millage 28mpg on highway and i think somewhere around 19-20 mpg in the city.

Back