Sooty Exhaust?

nsikes

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2006 FZ6. I bought it with aftermarket exhaust but stock filter and no power commander.

I have been noticing that my Scorpions are COMPLETELY covered with black soot on the inside. Is this normal? I would think that with the cats in there wouldn't be any soot.

Another possibly related (or not) fact. At idle after warm up. There is a noticeable audible change to the RPM. The gauge only changes by up or down by 60, but it is definitely noticeable. Also when riding off when cold, there is a lag like it is running way rich.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site
yes black sooty exhaust means rich. check your plugs if you can. probably sooty also

nsikes

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't believe I haven't gotten more responses...

Should I just change the plugs and see if that helps? I have around 8000 miles on the bike, I bought it with 6500, so I am assuming they are original plugs.

Anything else I should do before I pay to get a power commander and a dyno??

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
8,000 miles is the recommended time to change your sparkplugs, so it's probably a good time to swap them out.

Regarding the carbon: A small amount of carbon is normal on the inside of an exhaust system. As long as it's a thin film, you've got nothing to worry about. Now if you place your hand behind the exhaust and rev the motor and get carbon on your hand, you've got a problem due to a rich mixture.

Try swapping out your sparkplugs and run some Seafoam at the correct ratio listed on the can. That stuff will help clean your injectors, valves and your exhaust system. Also, take a look at your air filter. If it's discolored or dirty, it's time to replace it. Your filter may be plugged and could be choking out your engine by not flowing the correct CFM of air.

Last edited: