Some thing I have never practiced before?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok for reasons that are ever to daft to explain. I had to get on my bike from the wrong side today. Talk about alien, my balance was well and truely screwed. I normally throw my (short) leg over from the left hand side. No problem. I tried doing it from the right. I stood in the same position, both hands on thr bars. Bike leant towards me. Threw me leg and nearlly fell right off. Do any of you struggle from the wrong side?

J

jsteinb95

hmmm....never tried, but I'm assuming it would be like writing with the hand you don't write with.

Last edited by a moderator:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I get on and off both sides depending on the situation...never thought about it before. I guess if I walked up to the bike from behind I would use the left side (clutch side).
________
Web shows

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think it is just out of the ordinary, i always thought is was because the bike was leaned away from me (kickstand) as opposed to towards me.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
probably because when I get on the bike from the left (proper side for me! :)) the bike is on the side stand and leaning itself towards me so when I actually sit in the ****pit I bring the bike to the upright position with the seat in the fully upright position!! haha.

I am sitting here in my chair and I can already feel the motion of falling over even by imagining getting on the bike from the wrong side!! :):)

crazy_canuck

Reaction score
Visit site
I do it everytime I take the bike out of the garage for a ride. That's because I park it on the left side of the garage against the wall to keep it away from the GF's car. You get use to it after a while even with having to throw your leg a little higher over the seat.even harder with luggage on the back though, as I found out this past summer on our annual motorcycle trip.

S

sportrider

I think is worst to get off from the highside, I'm always parinoid that the kickstand isn't going to catch it.

W

wrightme43

I just went out in the garage, and yep if feels a little weird but not to bad, I do have long legs though.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a real challenge, try getting on your bike from that wierd side (right side), without the kickstand down!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
never tried without the side stand but i think that may be difficult (because my strong hand won't have most of the weight) but i guess on the stand i am tall enough that it doesn't matter from the wrong side.

H

HavBlue

Ok for reasons that are ever to daft to explain. I had to get on my bike from the wrong side today. Talk about alien, my balance was well and truely screwed. I normally throw my (short) leg over from the left hand side. No problem. I tried doing it from the right. I stood in the same position, both hands on thr bars. Bike leant towards me. Threw me leg and nearlly fell right off. Do any of you struggle from the wrong side?

I have to say I was LMAO as I read this. I don't know if "wrong side" comes from the days of Cavalry riders or what but to me it makes no difference. This may be due to my having a 35" inseam.