Some advice on changing cam chain tensioner

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Well heres a vid. Sounds like a bucket of bolts to me. It doesn't sound ideal when really getting high in the revs either, or if you down shift you can really hear it then too. Sounds sketchy to me. If you focus on the different sounds with headphones you can hear the clacking tapping sound.

Unfortunately the exhaust drowns out the sound a bit too, its a lot more prominent when hearing it in person. I've been finding it runs kind of rough too when I start it hot, kind of lopey in how it idles vs a smooth consistent sound like you'd expect from a 4 cylinder.

Let me know what you folks think. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay went to a empty area so I could really rev it up and get a better video. You can hear a lot more in this one.

(ignore the crotch filming I was focusing on looking at the bike LOL)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a bit noisy.. Stock muffler?

If anything, it sounds like from the top end/valve train area.

I'd check valve spec's and also check and make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks at the head. A leaky seal can make some similar noises...

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It is a bit noisy.. Stock muffler?

If anything, it sounds like from the top end/valve train area.

I'd check valve spec's and also check and make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks at the head. A leaky seal can make some similar noises...

No sir that is actually the Dominator exhaust (slip on, not full)! It's a little on the loud side in person, need to get the baffles for it.

I actually agree when I really get close and start listening to it. It does sound like its coming from the top end. What I have learned over the years is an engine is an echo chamber though, and sometimes noises can be deceiving in their location so I wasn't convinced. Now that you say it sounds like valve noise thats enough for me to look into it.

Sounds like I will be doing a valve check, I'm not super far off the recommended time, maybe 10,000km under.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear what sounds like cam chain noise but nothing alarming at all. Your barn is open...

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I hear what sounds like cam chain noise but nothing alarming at all. Your barn is open...

Hahahaha... for cooling

these jeans are the worst, it just opens by its self every 5 mins.

Thanks, I don't know, it seems excessive but maybe I'm just worrying too much.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check that the valves are all in spec, you should be able to see any chain stretch after all the marks (crank & cam sprockets) should line up.. If the chain is stretched a bunch, the marks will be off some (not alot)

You'll have to pull the cam chain cover to line up the T on the crank.

Likely not needed but to rule out everything and your already that deep, might change the chain and chain guides. Should be nice and quiet after that-Not much else to rattle....

Last edited: