SolidWorks

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This week I'm in training for my new job, learning a CAD program called SolidWorks.. It's a brainbuster, hard, insanely fun, and I have a damn migraine after just three days. I think I'll be loving this new job, once I get through the learning curve! :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Used Autocad for many years for detailing, CAM for CNC tool path and 3D models. I worked building trade shows, point of sale display, museum interactive displays and technical models. I was on the technical model making team when they learned I had machining experience. I've also worked with Vectorworks that they used to use at the company I worked for but it was so slow and clunky to use. I never made friends with that terrible program. I guess it's what you cut your teeth on... :)

Have you worked with CAD before?

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I spent a few hours the first week or two at my job just going through the tutorials. Those on their own will get you off to a good start.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you worked with CAD before?

I haven't. In college I actually was a student instructor for Freshman Engineering Drafting, and I loved it. We were, however, using T-squares, triangles and pencils... Blah

FUHL

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an AAS in CAD. I have been in Aerospace for the past 16 years. I first used AutoCAD then Solid Edge. Changed Jobs and they used Solid Works before converting to Solid Edge. That didn't work out so well. So we changed to Unigraphics NX. Not the best but works. Everyone that I work with wishes we could go back to Solid Works. When I was in College they taught us Solid Works because it is the most common one out there. If you learn one you can adapt to all the others fairly easy.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't. In college I actually was a student instructor for Freshman Engineering Drafting, and I loved it. We were, however, using T-squares, triangles and pencils... Blah

Apollo 13??? Blah That's pretty much what they used! :thumbup:

I've played with with it at work and tried to get the co to further some edu on, but they never bought into the idea and have since closed the doors. I have some odds and ends files I tinkered with.

Some of which was incandescent lamps (emitter), reflection, focal points and a detector, so stuff like that. If that seems odd, well it was Co2 hardware that monitored mainstream and sidestream End Tidal Co2 gases exhaled from us people. i.e. how well are your heart and lungs exchanging oxygen. It was ancient technology but pretty reliable once manufactured and calibrated.

Botch, let me know if you want some files to play with. Although I'm sure there are plenty on the interwebs as time progresses.

If someone has copy to play with, that would be great. Maybe I'll transfer Tail Tidy made from photoshop to a real 3D model. :rockon:

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Sitting at my desk at work, this is the last thing I expected to pop up on this forum. SolidWorks distributes their software through Value Added Resellers (VARs). I happen to work at one here in MA. We provide tech support, training and sales.

I actually work in finance so I process all the new orders coming in and get the pleasure of dealing with sales reps. I know little about the software besides some demos and lunch-n-learns I have sat in on just so I have a basic understanding.

I wish I could take 4 days off and take our 'Essentials' class (intro)!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sitting at my desk at work, this is the last thing I expected to pop up on this forum. SolidWorks distributes their software through Value Added Resellers (VARs). I happen to work at one here in MA. We provide tech support, training and sales.

I actually work in finance as an order administrator so I process all the new orders coming in and get the pleasure of dealing with sales reps. I know little about the software besides some demos and lunch-n-learns I have sat in on just so I have a basic understanding.

I wish I could take 4 days off and take our 'Essentials' class (intro)!

Well, if an order just happens to get returned/misplaced, or otherwise need a new home.... PM! :spank: :D
Although I'd guess a single use is cheaper than corporate user purchase? IDK! But I'd love to learn it. A good thing to add to my resume!

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if an order just happens to get returned/misplaced, or otherwise need a new home.... PM! :spank: :D
Although I'd guess a single use is cheaper than corporate user purchase? IDK! But I'd love to learn it. A good thing to add to my resume!

As much as I'd love to, they are also strong enforcers of anti-piracy. And actually, single use really isn't any cheaper. The base price is the same but they extend discounts depending on time of year (promotions) and volume purchases. So in that sense, a corporate user could get a cheaper license.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You'll appreciate this story. The last five years I worked in Engineering at the Ogden Maintenance Complex Headquarters. That HQ was over seven Maintenance "Groups", where the actual work gets done (Aircraft Group, Missiles, Electronics, Software, etc). Each Group bought their own SolidWorks licenses. Four years ago someone suggested the Complex buy "floating" licenses at the Complex level, with one contract vs. seven, and saving money. Should've been a 3, 4 week project, right? Three years ago the Project Lead was fired and it was given to me, nothing but struggles, I finally got it to Contracting last year. Contracting insisted the final bid be competed, even though SW can only be purchased though your VARs, and they all have the same Dassault-set price. Fine, we submitted VARs from Salt Lake City and a place in New Hampshire. Made Contracting happy, saved no money, extended the process another 8, 9 months.
Gawd I can't wait for Retirement! :(

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Learning new skills is so valuable, especially in the tech field.

When you combine CAD with computer analysis the result is mad cool. The past few years I've been working with 3D EM modelling software. Think Solidworks combined with electromagnetic analysis. Really cool stuff.
EMPro

HFSS