so i got pulled over for the first time tonight

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Wasn't really doing anything crazy, just going down the motorway on my way home in the dark. Overtook a car, and a few seconds later saw blue flashing lights, slowed down and moved to the slow lane, but it took me a whole minute to stop and figure out what was going on, pull in and stop on the hard shoulder

Took my gloves, helmet and earplugs out and the policeman asked me to get in the back of his car (for safety I assume). Had a chat with him and was humble and polite. He told me he'd measured me doing between 84 and 88mph, and asked if my helmet cam recorded my speedo (it doesn't, I checked). He then check my registration plate and my licence (it's all clean). He then gave me a bit of a telling off and told me to be careful out to stick to 70-75mph on the motorway and to look out for cars etc. I was polite, humble, and as well spoken as possible throughout.

He sent me on my way and apart from having to give it a little handful to get up to speed as I pulled back on to the motorway I took it easy as I went home.

Turned out that I'd accidentally recorded the entire journey and conversation with him on my camera, though it's probably not wise to upload it. Looking back I wasn't riding like an idiot, and was signalling, moving in etc, I was just going a little bit too fast, but nothing outrageous. It's probably lucky that you can't see my speedo, as it over reads by quite a large percentage.

Lesson learned, I'll slow down a little, I think I was already being pretty careful :thumbup:

mannydiller

Reaction score
Visit site
i find myself doing the same, insofar as i will (not insanely) go around vehicles on the freeway to simply give myself a little bit space away from the other larger vehicles... but, i'm often doing 5-10mph over the speed limit to accomplish said goal, until a find i pocket of space.

i'll gladly take a stern lecture and no speeding ticket. ;)

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I got pulled over by the police going into my neighborhood.

He told me, I ran through a 3 way stop. Drove past him like a rocket ship down the road.

None of that was remotely true. I had stopped, indicated waited for the 2 other cars to make their turns. I drove past him and never even broke 50 mph down the road.

He told me no, I saw you.

I repeated to him again, exactly how I road. The cop gave me my license back smiled and left.

Cops lie and make stuff up often just to see if you will self-incriminate yourself. They think they are being slick to catch the bad guys. However, this is a big problem that results in false imprisonments for people who are too naive, trusting of the police and doubt themselves.

There have been people who have end up in jail for murder because the cops told them they have 100 percent proof they committed a murder. So the confess to things they never did because they believe what they are told and it distorts their reality to the point where some even start to believe the even did such an act.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont try too hard to fight, or act c*cky though. Thats a good way to get a sure ticket. just be respectful and firm on what you say. i got pulled over going 58 in a 55 last week, it was Bullsh*t but whatever. he didnt write up a ticket luckily.

and if you are stupid enough to admit to a crime that you didn't commit, its mostly your fault. that is why trials exist.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
and if you are stupid enough to admit to a crime that you didn't commit, its mostly your fault. that is why trials exist.

You may think that but... nevertheless. 60 percent of people will admit to things they didn't do. From WIkI..

"A 2010 study from CUNY's John Jay College of Criminal Justice used laboratory experiments that test how the bluff technique correlates with confessions gained from innocent parties. Subjects were instructed to complete a task on a computer, then were falsely accused of a transgression such as crashing the computer or collaborating with a colleague to improve their task performance.[7] Bluff evidence, false evidence, and unreliable witnesses were used to test their effect. In the first test, 60% of the subjects confessed to the experimenter to pressing a computer key they had been instructed to avoid when, in fact, they had not; an additional 10% admitted to pressing the key to a study observer. A second group that tested subject reactions to charges of cheating produced nearly identical percentages of false confessions."

False confession are a serious problem.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
im sure we all know how easy and quickly we can go from 60mph to 80-90mph just to pass a car and give a little distance. And just like you I always try to make the cop feel as safe as possible, they seem to appreciate that a bit.

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
He may have asked you to sit in his car for a few reasons:
-It's safer for you and for him. Less chance of injury if a drunk driver hits his cruiser with you in it, than your bike with you on it. He also doesn't have to stand on the open road next to your bike.
-If it's cold outside, he may be offering you some warmth while he questions you and runs your information. Recognizing that a bike isn't the most comfortable place to sit while he pulls all that up.
-If he has any reason to believe you might run, asking you to sit in his cruiser gives him a better chance of catching you before you get away. Less likely but an option if you have a history of evading.

Just a thought. :D

Sounds like you handled it exactly the way you need to. Kudos for that. I can tell you from my experience that it is a pleasure to run into people like you instead of the jerks.

Last edited:

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
you better believe I will reflect that exact attitude right back at you and you'll probably walk away with a ticket. On the other hand, I could walk up to someone intent on writing them a ticket, and their positive attitude totally changes my mind, and they walk away with a positive outcome. Someone who is polite and talks to me like a human gets a better outcome. Someone who wants to make sure my day is ruined gets a worse outcome. Most of the time anyway.

I say generally because there are unfortunately some bad eggs out there that ruin the name for the rest of us. :Flip:

Well, you are one of those bad eggs.

You are self-centered and conceited. Having your ego stroked is the forefront, which is why you took the job in the first place you want to be somebody important.

The only good cops are the young ones that joined before they understood what cops really are and what the system is really like. Then the good ones always leave because they can't handle having to enforce unjust laws, policies that violate human rights, and department politics.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
wasnt planning on weighing in on this but here goes
the police are there to do a job when they pull you, its business, sure there may be a few bad ones or trying to meet a quota but then again they face all kinda sh1te on the job if you wanna play hard ball dont think they are gonna just roll over

you may have struck someone who has had a real bad day ( you or me it might be a run in with a co worker) the boys in blue maybe had to deal with a multicar pile up a bashing kids stabbing abduction rapes murder the list goes on an on
but you gotta remember THIS IS THEIR JOB and dealing with the unknown has gotta put their guard up

i dont like being hassled either but i try to keep on the right side of the rules too

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, you are one of those bad eggs.

You are self-centered and conceited. Having your ego stroked is the forefront, which is why you took the job in the first place you want to be somebody important.

The only good cops are the young ones that joined before they understood what cops really are and what the system is really like. Then the good ones always leave because they can't handle having to enforce unjust laws, policies that violate human rights, and department politics.

I'm sorry, did I trash your job at some point and not remember it?
That was incredibly rude. Please don't even begin to assume you understand why I took this job or why it is I do what I do.

Thanks.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to add that I didn't intend for this thread to get such an anti-police vibe, I still have a positive view of them. I understand it can vary from person to person, and country to country.

I was in the wrong, I was stopped, treated respectfully and given a bit of a reality check about what is and isn't appropriate. It was a positive outcome, the police man seemed concerned with my safety, and I came away with a revised attitude.

I think attitude probably helped, I wasn't aggressive, and was clearly quite humble, and a little scared.

Obviously some people will have had different experiences with the law, but can we please keep this civil. I was sharing a story, not trying to stir up hatred.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a snip of the video up until I was stopped. I'm a little embarrassed about how long it took me to pull over, but I can genuinely say this is the first time it's ever happened since I got my car/bike licence.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBXH-t709og]stopped - YouTube[/ame]

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only good cops are the young ones that joined before they understood what cops really are.

I've actually found the exact opposite to be more likely. The older cops tend to have a more sensible approach and are among some of the best people I've ever observed engaging society. Still, in some places there is institutionalized failure on the part of the authorities and a LOT to sort out.

But outside the organizational/institutional issues, I've observed that it's often the young hotshots with something to prove that end up being rude/aggressive when the situation doesn't call for it at all.

My opinion has always been that if you have extra power it comes with extra responsibility to be a better person...not just to follow the regulations etc. You have to actually be a better PERSON if you want to be a cop. And if you can do that, you will reform not only society but issues within your department etc.

Doesn't work that way all the time, and the internet is full of clips and stories of the bad ones and the bad stuff. Still, you're not doing yourself any kind of service as you are feeding more negativity into the mix. If you think the world is so bad and corrupt.....

....go out there and do something about it playboy. And you don't need to be a cop to do that.

Or maybe you are doing something about it and I'm just making an assumption about who you are as a human being much like you've done in your post about someone else....

;)

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
You may think that but... nevertheless. 60 percent of people will admit to things they didn't do. From WIkI..

"A 2010 study from CUNY's John Jay College of Criminal Justice used laboratory experiments that test how the bluff technique correlates with confessions gained from innocent parties. Subjects were instructed to complete a task on a computer, then were falsely accused of a transgression such as crashing the computer or collaborating with a colleague to improve their task performance.[7] Bluff evidence, false evidence, and unreliable witnesses were used to test their effect. In the first test, 60% of the subjects confessed to the experimenter to pressing a computer key they had been instructed to avoid when, in fact, they had not; an additional 10% admitted to pressing the key to a study observer. A second group that tested subject reactions to charges of cheating produced nearly identical percentages of false confessions."

False confession are a serious problem.

well thats less than the 70% of people that have low self esteem. and the 90% of people that will do whatever it is that they are ordered to do when in an institution that requires them to follow orders without question. the study was also done in America where the vast majority of the population is voluntarily ignorant about politics, economics, law, and the rest of the world.

i will keep my previous statement.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had both, good and bad experiences with cops. One of the bad ones: Two zealous officers "targeted" me for alleged DUI. I knew I wasn' DUI (even under ridiculous blood alcohol "presumptive" law). Arrested me in my driveway, seemed more bent on (time: about 2:00 am) getting me to "concede" guilt and seemed to expect that I was going to eventually "choke" or something and go along with it. I knew I wasn't drunk or even close to it but I did have alcohol on my breath (sorry, that's not enough go on,even with your badge) tested my B.A. level downtown. During this time I overheard them swearing because my levels were well below the "presumptive" level. But, it didn't stop there, I then saw that they "salted" the police report with additional fabricated infractions. I even had photo proof against their "speeding" charge (stupid cops didn't even, themselves know the posted limit). Stubborn, I still ended up having to call the prosecutors bluff (I was young with no attny) the day of the trial and at the end (probably shouldn't have even accepted that?) took a so-called plea bargain that threw out the B.S. "driving wrong side of road" charge but fined me for the B.S. "running a stop sign." The whole experience taught me how there are some (this includes both prosecutors and police officers) just want to get the bust/conviction. Are all cops like this? Of course not! The two officers that responded to Wavex's accident (FZ6-Forum "Hoonapalooza" thread) were excellent, personable and professional.

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just watched your video and it looks a bit hard to tell when exactly the officer lit you up and how long before you noticed. One thing you could do if you are ever concerned is to acknowledge them somehow - this is most useful if you don't intend to pull over immediately (looking for a safer spot). If for some reason you cannot pull over immediately (which is what you should always try to do if safe to do so, the officer can always redirect you to move elsewhere should he/she so desire), then you can give them a small wave and point to where you are going to pull over, possibly even signal your intent if it helps.

Seems like a small thing but it shows the officer that you are willing to cooperate and might help put him at ease. Many cops have their stories about riders who pretend to slow down and pull over but then rip away at top speed, or the ones who simply disappear the instant you turn the lights on. Giving him/her some sort of signal that you intend to stop as soon as you feel safe can go a long way.

That ontop of the fact that you removed your helmet and gloves and got off your bike right away is a pretty sure-fire way of showing compliance before you even get a word out. I've watched your clip a few times and it honestly wasn't that bad at all. Some people don't realize they are being followed to the point the officer has to pull up almost next to them blasting the horn. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
You can see the lights in my mirror around the 45 seconds mark, I immediately rolled off the throttle and moved over. I included a bit of footage of beforehand to give an idea of how I was riding.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
But you was riding on the wrong side of the road Greg :eek:... :BLAA: .... ;)

Beat me to it.

I wouldn't have immediately pulled over either. I prefer a deeper shoulder for the safety of everyone involved. Slow down, signal, give a wave, and look for a safe spot.