Small changes - Big differences

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
I took my fz6 home 3 months ago and simply drove it. I was very happy.

Been doing some reading and finally decided that since I'm 250lbs that the current tire pressure were too low (33f and 36r) and that rear spring pre-load (factory set to #3) needed to be increased as well. The bike kinda felt like it was squatting a bit, but this really wasn't a big issue.

I really didn't think changing the tire pressures and pre-load would really have a big difference, man was I wrong.

I increased the tire pressures to 35 front and 40 rear and then bumped up the pre-load to #5 and went for a drive.

When I sat on it the first time I noticed that the rear felt firmer, the bike didn't squat as much. I then went for a drive and what a difference! The rear tire felt much more connected to the road and the bike no longer seemed to ride through the bumps. I don't really notice anything different from the slight increase in front tire pressure though.

On long sweeping high speed corners he (my bike is a he) seems to stick much better, I can feel the road more.

On a side note the front wants to come up much more now at the top of first at WOT. Also "rocking" the throttle above 6k rpms in first causes the front to come up more easily.

Last edited:

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am gonna have to check mine when I get home. If it is set to 3 at the factory, I probably need to bump it up since I am about 200 lbs.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I am gonna have to check mine when I get home. If it is set to 3 at the factory, I probably need to bump it up since I am about 200 lbs.
I'd go to 5 first and see how that does. also check your pressures. I run about 36-38 in the rear and find that OK, but some (ahem) heavier people (like me) like it a bit higher.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
imagine how it would feel with a "proper" set up. any good bike shops near you? Have an expert tell you what will work (fork oil/spacer/shims/R6 forks/etc) and it would be a world of difference!

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
imagine how it would feel with a "proper" set up. any good bike shops near you? Have an expert tell you what will work (fork oil/spacer/shims/R6 forks/etc) and it would be a world of difference!

This is the 1st time I have ever bought a bike from a dealer or anyone else for that matter. I would think this would be included in the set up at the dealer, hell they make you pay for it. They should have you get on the bike, ask your weight and adjust everything before you leave the dealer. Just my 2 cents....

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I weigh 230 and made the same changes. Whole different bike. Much more confidence inspirining in the corners.
225 here, same new pressures but bumped the preload to #6. I'm happy! :rockon:

FZ6R GTA

Reaction score
Visit site
I pick up my FZ6R tommorow-I wonder if the rear spring preload adjustment will be necessary? Guess I'll know after riding for a while. Thx for the info.