Slow Races

zi3jermyn

Reaction score
Visit site
This is an interesting idea, anyone ever see this? First one to the end loses.

I am definitely going to have to try this one out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27x8aD1EX0c]Motorcycle Slow Races [C2W Extra #25] - YouTube[/ame]

acniss

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i have seen them i haven't tried one yet. they are a game at our bike nights, also first one to put a foot down loses too

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty neat. My MSF Coach made myself and another guy in the class challenge ourselves to see who could do the slow speed line control slower/longer. Haha

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I do this at every single traffic light lol. I prefer to not move my feet off the pegs unless I HAVE to fully stop. I guess I'm that lazy.

tosh23

Reaction score
Visit site
One day some one will cheat...A member of the country's police...I have watched their slow control over a funeral procession ..And these bikes weigh half a tonne .. The secret is to use your back brake constantly and feather the clutch..sounds easy...NOT

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually the video is wrong, their needs to be two designated lanes for each rider to stay in and maintain. An entire width of a slow competition lane is only about 4 feet, which requires each rider to keep moving forward and not side to side. You put your foot down or go outside your boundary you lose. It wasn't until I participated a Yamaha Bike Night last year in Boise Idaho that I realized how many riders there were who sucked when it came to just parking lot riding techniques, riding slow, placing your bike when you want, where you want, everytime. After completing one heat, and watching the rest of my competition, I had a ten year old kid come up to me and say that I was going to win it.
p714114199-4_zps51bd5599.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As said by outasight, I do it often in commute mode too. Far better than looking like an idjit with both feet down for 10 blocks! lol

Try this in an open parking lot; use the parking space lines as course. Easy you say; try it!

Head forward aligned with a line. At the end of the paint line cut it hard and go over one line and follow that line out. Cut over and follow the next line in. Continue until out of space and turn about - do it again all the way back. You will learn to trail brake or fall over. << or put your foot down.

Something to do when waiting for friends at lunch time :)Flip:) vs just sitting in your gear being hot and impatient!

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This was part of my MSC when I took it, we didn't have races so to speak but we were required to go 25 feet, then make a slow figure eight into a tight circle. Pretty tough to master, I do enjoy watching the Harley guys duck walk their bikes though ...

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I participated in one of these just before getting my bike (with a friend's bike). Indeed a lot of fun and you learn a lot of slow speed control.

At Times I practice by myself in a parking lot and regularly try to avoid putting a foot down while in traffic (red lights).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually the video is wrong, their needs to be two designated lanes for each rider to stay in and maintain. An entire width of a slow competition lane is only about 4 feet, which requires each rider to keep moving forward and not side to side. You put your foot down or go outside your boundary you lose. It wasn't until I participated a Yamaha Bike Night last year in Boise Idaho that I realized how many riders there were who sucked when it came to just parking lot riding techniques, riding slow, placing your bike when you want, where you want, everytime. After completing one heat, and watching the rest of my competition, I had a ten year old kid come up to me and say that I was going to win it.
p714114199-4_zps51bd5599.jpg

VEGASRIDER, you are my hero.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
This is even more difficult on an FZ6 with our choppy throttle and top high center of gravity. Well done.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
This is even more difficult on an FZ6 with our choppy throttle and top high center of gravity. Well done.

It felt almost natural to me on my FZ than my GSXR. Clutch controll is key. I always tested my self to see how long I could go with the speedo registering 0 (anything under 5mph)

That is a impressive and safer alternative to racing and it also gives you real world experience.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say the choppy throttle doesn't play in at all - I do all of my 'slow race' like riding without any throttle, I'm barely easing the clutch in and dragging the rear, who needs gas?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say the choppy throttle doesn't play in at all - I do all of my 'slow race' like riding without any throttle, I'm barely easing the clutch in and dragging the rear, who needs gas?

Yea I guess you are right, you definitely don't need more than idle RPM's for <5mph.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As said by outasight, I do it often in commute mode too. Far better than looking like an idjit with both feet down for 10 blocks! lol

Try this in an open parking lot; use the parking space lines as course. Easy you say; try it!

Head forward aligned with a line. At the end of the paint line cut it hard and go over one line and follow that line out. Cut over and follow the next line in. Continue until out of space and turn about - do it again all the way back. You will learn to trail brake or fall over. << or put your foot down.

Something to do when waiting for friends at lunch time :)Flip:) vs just sitting in your gear being hot and impatient!

Exhibit A:
We're doing 10 miles an hour here and this chap has both feet draggin the ground! Some of you will note the slope / bank but many do this on flat land too. Just not my style...
attachment.php

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy does this on gravel - I'm of the camp that if you put weight on the footpegs that'll make it more stable, if I start to loose it I can always get a foot off in time to touch down -

Either way - I'm going to drag him to a parking lot and make him work on his slow speed maneuvering - he's looking a bit more like the squids and harley guys than VEGASRIDER.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Yes, all the work is done with your clutch, by working it within the friction zone which is only about a 1/4" for the FZ6 combined with dragging your rear brake. But you have to keep your RPM's up, so more of a steady throttle rather than a roll on roll off technique.

Always keep your head and eyes UP! Never look down, you look down that's where you mentally start thinking where you need to go so you end up putting your foot down. I'd say that maybe 1 out of 5 heats, it finished by reaching the end, most riders end up disqualifying themselves by putting a foot down or going outside the boundary. Remember, you must maintain a straight line.

Practicing when traffic is coming to a crawl or a whenever you approach a red light waiting for the light to turn green is great practice. I do the same, I try avoiding putting my foot down at all cost just to keep myself occupied and improve on my skills.