Slipper Clutch (Oh No...Not Again!)

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always hate beating old threads to death; but, this one seems to come up often and never truly gets "put-to-bed".

As most of us do, I am putting together a list of mods that I want to complete in the off season this year. Aside from some cosmetic items, upgraded suspension, and some luggage; I think I want to attempt installation of a slipper clutch. Please feel free to tell me I'm crazy and the benefits aren't worth the price and how I should buy and r6, etc, etc, etc... :)

So, here is my question for those that understand the part numbering system from Yamaha and may have experience with the clutch differences between the 05 R6 and new generation FZ6:

Will a slipper clutch manufactured for a 2005 R6 directly bolt into a 2007 FZ6?

I have spent some time reviewing the parts fiche for both the 2005 R6 and 2007 FZ6 and have found the following:

The clutch plates, friction plates, bearings, pressure plate, and hardware are identical between the two bikes. The following are the only differences:

2007 FZ6 PRIMARY DRIVEN GEAR Part No. 5VX-16150-00-00
2005 R6 PRIMARY DRIVEN GEAR Part No. 5SL-16150-10-00

2007 FZ6 BOSS, CLUTCH Part No. 5VX-16371-00-00
2005 R6 BOSS, CLUTCH Part No. 5SL-16371-00-00

2007 FZ6 SPRING, COMPRESSION Part No. 90501-237L0-00
2005 R6 SPRING,COMPRESSION Part No.90501-225A9-00

Now I understand that different parts of the Yamaha part number mean different things. In this case however, the numbering is nearly identical between the two bikes. The question is, are they interchangeable??

Last edited:

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Will a slipper clutch manufactured for a 2005 R6 directly bolt into a 2007 FZ6?

I have spent some time reviewing the parts fiche for both the 2005 R6 and 2007 FZ6 and have found the following:

The clutch plates, friction plates, bearings, pressure plate, and hardware are identical between the two bikes. The following are the only differences:

2007 FZ6 PRIMARY DRIVEN GEAR Part No. 5VX-16150-00-00
2005 R6 PRIMARY DRIVEN GEAR Part No. 5SL-16150-10-00

2007 FZ6 BOSS, CLUTCH Part No. 5VX-16371-00-00
2005 R6 BOSS, CLUTCH Part No. 5SL-16371-00-00

2007 FZ6 SPRING, COMPRESSION Part No. 90501-237L0-00
2005 R6 SPRING,COMPRESSION Part No.90501-225A9-00

Now I understand that different parts of the Yamaha part number mean different things. In this case however, the numbering is nearly identical between the two bikes. The question is, are they interchangeable??

Most of us have surmised that the Yamaha Part numbers follow a MODEL-PART-REVISION-COLOR format. So, quite often, if you see an R6 part that only varies by the MODEL portion or the COLOR portion, you should be good (wheels are a good example of this). I've had European (Swedish IIRC) university students contact me in PM about using 04 R6 slipper clutches. And, noting how the Compression Spring & Primary Drive Gear part numbers vary, it could be 03-04 R6 clutch parts would be a better fit.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of us have surmised that the Yamaha Part numbers follow a MODEL-PART-REVISION-COLOR format. So, quite often, if you see an R6 part that only varies by the MODEL portion or the COLOR portion, you should be good (wheels are a good example of this). I've had European (Swedish IIRC) university students contact me in PM about using 04 R6 slipper clutches. And, noting how the Compression Spring & Primary Drive Gear part numbers vary, it could be 03-04 R6 clutch parts would be a better fit.

Thank you oso2K! Your explanation has made me more confident in my understanding of the part structure. From my findings; the clutch components are the same for 03'-06' R6 models. I think I may pick up a used clutch basket on eBay (looks like they will run about $50-$60) so I can do an in person comparison.

Provided everything is a go, the next step will be to decide between Yoyodyne, STM, or Hinson products.

The money we spend on toys...

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps OT but: ya know. I have a slipper clutch on my 2009 R6 but I gotta tell ya -- how do I know it's really there? I throttle blip because I'm scared to try to down shift without throttle blipping to test the slipper clutch -- not to mention it's just not a good habit (at least in my opinion). Maybe I've tried it accidentally and the only thing I noticed is that my rear wheel didn't spin.

Bottom line is, I'm not sure the slipper clutch is really worth it. But if you get one, what do you hope to get out of it? and how will you know that all the time/money you spent is worth it?

Maybe I'm just a total bozo for just not knowing how to use what I got :eek:. I guess I'm just looking for a way to verify my slipper clutch is working.

Thanks,

Dennis

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting topic indeed...Dennis I will gladly test the slipper clutch to the fullest for you and report my findings, j/k

Kidding aside though, I think the slipper clutch is more of an aid than a cure to real wheel hop and lock up, bliping IMO is the best way to downshift. That being said I would think if it is feasible to add one to an fz, the benefits combined with suspension upgrades would be well worth it.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Two points:
1- I have owned 3 different bikes with slipper clutches. The ONLY times I have made them actuate were on a racetrack during heavy braking.
2- If you are going to attempt this project I would suggest trying to find a used R6 motor that's being parted out to grab all of the items at a low entry price point. If the parts will work you just need to freshen up the friction plates and you are set. If it WONT fit, you are only out a small amount.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps OT but: ya know. I have a slipper clutch on my 2009 R6 but I gotta tell ya -- how do I know it's really there? I throttle blip because I'm scared to try to down shift without throttle blipping to test the slipper clutch -- not to mention it's just not a good habit (at least in my opinion). Maybe I've tried it accidentally and the only thing I noticed is that my rear wheel didn't spin.

Bottom line is, I'm not sure the slipper clutch is really worth it. But if you get one, what do you hope to get out of it? and how will you know that all the time/money you spent is worth it?

Maybe I'm just a total bozo for just not knowing how to use what I got :eek:. I guess I'm just looking for a way to verify my slipper clutch is working.

Thanks,

Dennis

I have read similar reviews to your account. I have also read many suggesting that the rider will never buy another bike with a standard clutch set-up again. hmm...

Interesting topic indeed...Dennis I will gladly test the slipper clutch to the fullest for you and report my findings, j/k

Kidding aside though, I think the slipper clutch is more of an aid than a cure to real wheel hop and lock up, bliping IMO is the best way to downshift. That being said I would think if it is feasible to add one to an fz, the benefits combined with suspension upgrades would be well worth it.

From the research I have done; it appears that one of the other inherent benefits of the slipper clutch system is reduced engine braking. I do not have any experience with this, but hey, if it reduces the amount of throttle jerk on deceleration by 5%, I would be happy.

Two points:
1- I have owned 3 different bikes with slipper clutches. The ONLY times I have made them actuate were on a racetrack during heavy braking.
2- If you are going to attempt this project I would suggest trying to find a used R6 motor that's being parted out to grab all of the items at a low entry price point. If the parts will work you just need to freshen up the friction plates and you are set. If it WONT fit, you are only out a small amount.

My plan is to pick up a stock clutch basket for an 05' R6 on eBay. With this I can at least compare the dimensions, physical characteristics, and do a dry fit of a cheap item before purchasing a $900 slipper clutch.

This project will be a few months in the making and I will try to post as much information I can as it progresses. I truly appreciate everyone's knowledge and input!!

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you know if they ever followed through with the project?

I believe they did, but their usage was different. They were using an FZ6 engine in some sort of kart or other 4 wheel vehicle. I asked that they post their result I never saw any posting.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
STM makes a slipper clutch for the 2005 and 2006 r6, they make slipper clutch for the FZ1 too the codes are:
Yamaha R6 2001-2005 FYA-S070
Yamaha R6 2006 2009 FYA-S080
Yamaha FZS 1000 Fazer 2001 2005 FYA-S130
Yamaha FZ1 1000/FZ1-S Fazer 2006 2010 FYA-S100
the prices are from 700 to 900