Slip-On vs. Full Exhaust

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
The stock cans on 99% of the sport bikes built have more than enough flow capabilities for the stock engines state of tune. So the only reason to replace them with an aftermarket slip on is for looks and to make more noise. Any nominal gain in hp is more than offset by the increased db's and the average rider will hardly ever be able to tell the difference in power anyway, but may find himself shuffled to the back of the group when riding with friends. The big picture has to be considered...

Bruce

+1

That has been my experience as well.

Give Bruce a cigar.

thumbup.gif

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not FZ6 specific, but more sport bike in general;

When looking at full systems be sure you know what your getting into, do some research. Most stock systems are made of titanium, only the more expensive aftermarket ones are. If you replace a ti system with one made of steel you'll gain weight.

Bruce

Stainless Steel, not Ti is the most common material for exhausts.

All of the exhausts I've replace over the years have been better, if not much better than the stock system. All of them that I've bought have been much, much lighter, made more power and most have been only slightly louder.

Yes many cheap exhausts are waaaaay too loud, expensive ones for that matter. It is really up the buyer to figure out what is important to them.

For example, the Akrapovic I had on my FZ made, at peak 2.5 more hp, but the mid-range was improved. With db killers it was as quiet as stock, and with db killers out was not stupid loud. It weighted 6 lbs less than stock and looked much better, IMO. So for me, it was a very good value and worth the cost. The stock exhaust looks like a toaster oven and sounds like a sewing machine.

The thing is, if the MFGs made better looking exhausts few would be removed; ie: FZ6 and the new FZ1. Exhausts have sex appeal for riders, and most stock ones are more like rag wool socks than silk stockings.

Okay and this is all from the owner of one of the worlds fugliest motorcycle mufflers. :rolleyes:

Daryldaddy

Elite Member
Reaction score
central BC / Canada...on beautifull Quesnel lake
Visit site
New here... just bought a 09 FZ6, and being a mechanic plan to rip it apart this winter........ whats the loudest slip on exhaust made , and what do you think of remaping for fuel and timing... are there any other mods other then air filter that I'am missing........Tanks in advance , Daryl:thumbup:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
New here... just bought a 09 FZ6, and being a mechanic plan to rip it apart this winter........ whats the loudest slip on exhaust made , and what do you think of remaping for fuel and timing... are there any other mods other then air filter that I'am missing........Tanks in advance , Daryl:thumbup:

Here ya go.. see if this thread helps ya. :thumbup:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/9324-loudest-exhaust.html

Looks like Two Bros. Win ... They are my Favorite also, but for price I might get Scorpions

fizzer6nc

Reaction score
Visit site
it depends on what you want it for..... if you just want the sound and maybe a few hp... then a slip on is great.... but if u want more horsepower and you wanna spend twice the money then yeah fulls are nice too.... but if you buy a full you will have to get a power commander... which will run you about $250.... you dont have to have one with a slip on...