Single headlight connection...

Piotrek

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,
I just finished my headlight mod, which was a necessity, because I broke the fairing and didn't want to spend all money for it. The installation was easy, but now I have a problem with electrical wiring, which I have no clue about. What I have is a connector with 3 wires coming out of the light and two connectors that are on the bike, which I thing should be connected to the gauge.

I couldn't find any simple explanation of the problem, I guess it's a noobie thing, but I don't want to mess up anything, so I turn out to the community for help. After 2,5 years it's time to get back on two wheels!

Thanks for any help!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to attempt to help you out, but I converted using the Buell headlight (which has two headlights and not the single like yours), so take what I say with a grain of salt...lol.

The wiring harness (the big, taped up wiring piece with connectors coming off at different points) on the bike has 6 connectors coming off of it. 1 for each headlamp, 1 for each turn signal, and 2 that go to the speedometer. It appears your bike is either a '04 or '05 and I've got a '06, so the wiring will be the same.

The turn signals are easy as they will have the corresponding connector that the turn signals have (long, cylindrical connectors). On mine, one is gray and one is black. The one that's closest to where the wiring harness plugs into the bike is the left turn signal and the one furthest away from that point is the right turn signal.

This is what you should have coming through the frame (the little black box is the turn signal flasher relay).

photo6.jpg

If you look at the back of my speedometer in this picture, you'll see two connectors coming out. Those match up with the corresponding connectors on the harness. You can't get that wrong, trust me.

photo25.jpg

The only other two connectors left are the left and right headlight connectors. Again, the one closest to where the harness plugs into the bike is the left, the furthest away is the right headlight.

Now, this is where my experience differs from yours. Since you've only got one headlight, I don't know if you should cut the connectors off both on the harness and tie them together and then to the wiring on the headlight, or just use one side. I'm assuming you'll want to keep hi/lo beam function, so that has to be taken into consideration.

Hopefully someone that's converted to a single headlight will see this and advise you the right way...lol.

Another thing you'll have to figure out is how to mount the speedometer. I used an aluminum blank and cut it then mounted the speedo to it and mounted it to the underside of the top triple. Here's a better look at what I did.

photo24.jpg

Again, you won't have that silver frame that you see in the picture (that's part of the Buell setup), but a little ingenuity and you can easily figure it out.

Hope this helped a little. :thumbup: Oh, and :welcome:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the way the headlights work is that the H4 headlamp only comes on when you flip the high beam switch, and it uses the high beam filament within the H4 headlamp. The H7 headlamp stays on all the time whether you have lows or highs on, and it doesn't have dual filaments.

I assume you can just use the H4 connector since it has both HI/LO and just cut the H7 connector off, or zip tie it somewhere out of the way. However, I think you may have to do BD43's headlight mod so that the low beam will come on. The H4 headlamp is actually a dual filament bulb that has highs and lows, so the BD43 mod tells the low filament to come on, and then switch to the high beam filament when you flip the switch.

This is my understanding on how the headlights work on the FZ6 and I'm pretty sure it's correct, but I may be wrong. If someone is 100% positive, please chime in so we know for sure.

On the other hand, I'm sure there's a way to tie both sides (H4 and H7 together) to accomplish the same task, but I wouldn't know how to do it that way.

Last edited:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you would use the black wire from the H4 connector (which should be the high beam wire) and connect it to the high beam connector (the right side terminal in the picture you posted). Then you can use the other 2 wires from the H7 connector, common (12V) and low beam. You'd just have to figure out which is which on the H7 connector.

Piotrek

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I got it...almost completed. What I did, I looked inside of the switch high-low beam light and noted colors of the cables, then I just clipped in to see if it works and it did! Just making sure the high is on high and low is in low switch mode. Then I pulled out the cables from big connectors and spliced them with the light connector wires. So the low beam was the YELLOW wire in my case and the high beam was connected to a GREEN wire, the black was the common indicated in the diagram I linked before.

The only problem in the very end of this procedure was the shortage I got accidentally which resulted in the complete lack of light! Now, what is the problem? I didn't check the bulb yet, and is there any fuse that I possibly blew?

Thanks for the advice guys!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Black is ground
Black with green stripe is low beam (H7 Plug)
Black with Yellow stripe is high beam (H4 Plug)

I am using an H4 bulb in my single headlight and just stole the low beam (black with green stripe) from the H7 plug and inserted it into the empty, top of the H4 plug, which then just connects directly to the H4 bulb.

Their is a yellow wire that scavenges off of the Black with Yellow stripe wire, but it is not your headlight wire, it is 22 guage not 14 guage, if you used this wire, you may have shorted out for this reason.