Signed up for Advance Course $50!

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So its been a few years now since I have been riding and my father got this deal from the Amvets Hall allowing my brother and I to go to the advance course in Forest Park Community college for $50 each. The course is next Saturday and so far 3 of my family members are in it, kind of wild.

Those who have taken it....

Will my insurance go down?

What do you do in the advance course, I understand you use your own motorcycle but thats about it.

Thanks!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet! It's $100 here for the ERC, so $50 is a nice deal.

In NJ, your insurance does not go down. What it IS useful for is point reduction.. it can be used towards your license in general.. car or moto. Of course laws very state by state.

ERC is very similar to BRC, but as you said you will be on your own bike and the entire class is shorter.. 3-4 hours of class time followed by 3-4 hours of range time. Exercises are very similar to BRC, but the cones are set up tighter with more offset for some and there's one handed cone weave too. Making a u-turn in that box is quite a bit more challenging on FZ6 than on 125cc bike too. It'll be fun! Enjoy!

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet! It's $100 here for the ERC, so $50 is a nice deal.

In NJ, your insurance does not go down. What it IS useful for is point reduction.. it can be used towards your license in general.. car or moto. Of course laws very state by state.

ERC is very similar to BRC, but as you said you will be on your own bike and the entire class is shorter.. 3-4 hours of class time followed by 3-4 hours of range time. Exercises are very similar to BRC, but the cones are set up tighter with more offset for some and there's one handed cone weave too. Making a u-turn in that box is quite a bit more challenging on FZ6 than on 125cc bike too. It'll be fun! Enjoy!

I'm pretty stoked about it, I guess I like to be challenged for some reason but, I think it will be fun too. Thanks for the info!

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
ERC is free in PA. And there is no classroom portion. It's all on the range. I took it last year as a refresher and I think it was two weeknights for three hours each. We even finished early the last night. It was fun and I made some riding friends. I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more with your family there.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Will my insurance go down?

You may want to contact your insurance company after completing the course. Some companies will give you a discount for an approved safety course within a certain time frame. Progressive gives a discount for a course within the last three years.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on whether you will get a discount depends on your insurance company. Most will, there are some who don't, specifically State Farm. But it won't last forever, your discount will dissapear after a year. But the discount should save you money in the long run or at least save you enough money to cover the course.

If you already have a M endorsement which I know you have, you are not subject to any further testing. You will still receive a completion card:Flash:

You must have a street legal motorcycle and proof of registration and insurance and gear.

As far as the U-Turn box, it depends on the size of the bike. You are aloted a wider margin if you're on a bike 600cc or more, 24 ft. The BRC, required you to do it inside 20 feet. I can easily do it inside 20 on my FZ6!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can easily do it inside 20 on my FZ6!

I was the only guy in my class who could do it inside the 20 on my Fizz.. of course all the other bikes were massive Harleys, but I know it can be done on those as well.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I took my class for free on-base (USCG), I have insurance thru USAA (Progressive), they gave me a discount.:thumbup:

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking to do an advanced course in the future as well. I will soon be in the military, so as soon as I can get my bike on base, I will probably take another safety course. I read somewhere that they offer a course oriented specifically toward sport bikes, in addition to the basic and advanced riding class.

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking to do an advanced course in the future as well. I will soon be in the military, so as soon as I can get my bike on base, I will probably take another safety course.

You may want to hold off on the advanced course until you are in the active military. If you want to ride a motorcycle on base regardless whether you already have an endorsement and training, you have to go through that bases motorcycle safety course (free of course). Some bases offer advanced training and sport bike/cruiser specific classes.

Unfortunately my time in the military has passed, because free would certainly beat the 2 month wait and $275 I just found out it will cost me to take the basic course here in Louisiana.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking to do an advanced course in the future as well. I will soon be in the military, so as soon as I can get my bike on base, I will probably take another safety course. I read somewhere that they offer a course oriented specifically toward sport bikes, in addition to the basic and advanced riding class.

Yeah, they do a sportbike course. It focuses on higher speed turns, proper trail-braking technique, mid-turn tightening of a turn, how to lean with the bike and lean to the inside of the bike, and how to pick and ride the various lines through a turn and mulitple turns. Most instructors seem to go over basic suspension setup as well, along with how to safely set down a wheelie (although that's just demo and not acutally part of the course).

The Navy, at least, is also trying to get track days through the MSF guys set up. I hope they get that set up soon.