Side Panel Removal

Grim Chemical

MasterDebater
Reaction score
Visit site
So...I had a fantastic idea the other day that stemmed from a mistake I was almost forced to make.

Here's the deal, I had to remove the little side panels (under seat) and rear plastics (with tail light) to get to the frame earlier last week and I realized that the screw holding on my right side panel covering my fuse box was not backing out at all. I worked at it for a few days trying new things, even dinging at it with a flat head and hammer while a buddy tried backing it out.

Needless to say. After 3 days of this, I just started pricing new side panels and figured I was going to have to break it off. Well...turns out I did exactly that, and used vice grips to pull the screw through. COMPLETELY stripped....seriously. I'll have to post a picture for you guys to see it.

Anyway, long story short. I started looking at the bike with no rear fairings on it...and I put the seat on to see what I was working with. Outside of the 2bros. exhaust sticking out about 3'' further than I want it too...and of course now I have no tail light. and the electrics are all exposed I have a plan of action.

I am going to re-route all of the electrics to underneath the seat and de-tab the side plates there where they are currently mounted. And completely do away with these side panels and rear panel. I'll have to shorten the exhaust pipe about 3'' if there is room...maybe a little extra modification required there.

I'm looking for pictures of this modification. It's going to be relatively extensive but I think the end product will be awesome, and 100% unique (so I don't expect anyone to have photos). I've never seen it before and would LOVE to see if anyone has done this.

I plan on doing my first video documentary of this modification. SO i'll get back to you all. INPUT????

THANKS! Chive on.

CincoBoy

Tiny Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So...I had a fantastic idea the other day that stemmed from a mistake I was almost forced to make.

Here's the deal, I had to remove the little side panels (under seat) and rear plastics (with tail light) to get to the frame earlier last week and I realized that the screw holding on my right side panel covering my fuse box was not backing out at all. I worked at it for a few days trying new things, even dinging at it with a flat head and hammer while a buddy tried backing it out.

Needless to say. After 3 days of this, I just started pricing new side panels and figured I was going to have to break it off. Well...turns out I did exactly that, and used vice grips to pull the screw through. COMPLETELY stripped....seriously. I'll have to post a picture for you guys to see it.

Anyway, long story short. I started looking at the bike with no rear fairings on it...and I put the seat on to see what I was working with. Outside of the 2bros. exhaust sticking out about 3'' further than I want it too...and of course now I have no tail light. and the electrics are all exposed I have a plan of action.

I am going to re-route all of the electrics to underneath the seat and de-tab the side plates there where they are currently mounted. And completely do away with these side panels and rear panel. I'll have to shorten the exhaust pipe about 3'' if there is room...maybe a little extra modification required there.

I'm looking for pictures of this modification. It's going to be relatively extensive but I think the end product will be awesome, and 100% unique (so I don't expect anyone to have photos). I've never seen it before and would LOVE to see if anyone has done this.

I plan on doing my first video documentary of this modification. SO i'll get back to you all. INPUT????

THANKS! Chive on.

I was planning on doing something similar this winter, including a tail light with integrated turn signals right under the seat. I did a side exhaust setup and found that an ugly hole appeared where the under tail should be. I removed only the black plastic piece that goes along the edge of the grab bars and tail light.

Looks like you'll beat me to this mod!

Grim Chemical

MasterDebater
Reaction score
Visit site
That's exactly what I have done thus far! Everything in this mod seems to be an after thought of something I just thought of...I guess that's café for you. Can you send some pictures? Here is my 1 hour worth of progress.

Grim Chemical

MasterDebater
Reaction score
Visit site
What do you mean signal? I never had a rear fender (tire hugger) and really the only thing that has ever given me trouble is grease on exhaust. I think I'll be just fine.although I haven't ridden for over a year (got in trouble in my Jeep) and I love in Arizona where rain is a rare and sought after commodity! I welcome the challenge, I think it will be well worth the modifications. Well....back to work I go!

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like the side panels do a pretty good job of blocking some of the road spray from the seat. But if it's easy for you to avoid the rain, more power to ya.

The rear hugger is good for wet roads but riding through rain the rear end will still get plenty dirty.

Grim Chemical

MasterDebater
Reaction score
Visit site
Red Rock, I always loved the under seat exhaust. My buddy brought up the idea of a custom mid-pipe and shoving the cans just on the outside of either side of the rear tire but almost next to the spring! I can't deny the thought is very tempting. A custom mid-pipe is not TERRIBLY expensive, but I don't see it being very practical. I know I've made a huge transformation from a stock faired fz, but I'm still trying to keep the essence there. I'm excited for the weekend, lots to be done! Keep the Arizona heat away for a couple hours. Or just...give me a garage please!

You all take care! I'll be back later!

Grim Chemical

MasterDebater
Reaction score
Visit site
What does anyone think about having a custom mid pipe fabricated to relocated the exhaust parallel to the ground and just outside my rear tires stuffed under the seat even closer to the engine? It's pretty radical but I can't get the thought out of my head. I'll try to make up a sketch and put it on here...It's gonna be...I don't know how it's gonna go.

Grim Chemical

MasterDebater
Reaction score
Visit site
Whelp! I got the passenger handle bars removed...and the rear light plastics painted. That's about all...puss I marked the welds where I wasn't to cut them. Take a look.....

Grim Chemical

MasterDebater
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my modified tail light assembly. Now what to do with where the electrics used to be mounted? Shave and drill? Still Walt to push the exhaust back a couple inches to fill that gap!