Should low miles be a concern?

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Forum!
Still an FZ6 owner wannabe. I have not sold my VS800 Intruder yet, but it will happen... You all have answered many questions as I research the bike & this incredible site, so I want to thank you for the plethora of information. I already know so much about this awesome bike, and yet, I don't own one yet! AHHHH! It's killing me! :eek:

To me, you really need to use the bike on a semi-regular basis or bad things can happen over time with no use. (Specifically the fuel lines/injectors, etc. Do you have other thoughts?) I'd like to ask you guys if you thought this would be a concern to you as a potential buyer. Here it is: I have seen a few 2006-2007 FZ6's for sale with EXTREMELY low miles. I'm talking under 2,000 miles on a 5 to 6 year old motorcycle. Would you be concerned that the fuel lines or injectors would be too gummed up for it to be reliable?

I guess I'm not so concerned with the higher milage bikes, like 10K to 20K or so. I mean, to me, that says the bike gets used regularly & should be in decent shape. But unless I hear otherwise from the guru's, I'm somewhat hesitant to get serious about a 6YO bike with under 2,000 miles. Your thoughts? Thanks in advance, you guys ROCK! :D

holabeck5

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought a 2007 with about 600 miles on it. I put in a can of seafoam and have yet to have a problem. Runs like a dream. Although, you make a good point about issues when a bike sits for awhile. You take a chance either way. Happy hunting.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't be too worried about it. As long as it fires up and runs good I'd say it's worth the risk, as long as you don't see any obvious signs of sitting a while, dry rotted tires, rust in places it shouldn't be, but mainly the gas tank. If there's rust in the gas tank I wouldn't think any more about buying it, but that would be my only concern on a bike like that other than the normal stuff to look for on a used bike.

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
i would sooner have a bike with low miles,bikes tend to a hard life in the hands of some folk,as for fuel lines and injectors gumming up it doesnt seem to happen,mine has just come out of winter storage,after sitting quiet for 6 months on the maintenance charger she fired and ran perfect as she always does,my bandit 600 used to cough and splutter after storage but always cleared,you might call me a snob but i dont buy second hand bikes unless i can garanantee its history,just remember,the more miles= a thrashed/wheelied/trackday tool/used in all weathers/with more work required,thats why i have an fz6 cos for the money new and the 0% finance there unbeatable,its a shame they dont make them any more,buy the straightest, standard bike you can find,to me mods devalue any bike ask for any stock parts that have been removed,you could buy mine but shes not for sale becouse its near perfect for me

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent points you guys, good stuff. That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. Thanks!!!:thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
just remember,the more miles= a thrashed/wheelied/trackday tool/used in all weathers/with more work required

I couldn't disagree more with that train of thought. In most cases if you find a newer model bike with higher then average miles it means just the opposite. It was obviously rode a lot and probably as a commuter, vs a weekend play toy where every time it's taken out it gets thrashed through the mountains or what not.

Take my bike for example, I have a 2004 fz6 that I got last June with 10,000 on it. I have rode it all but maybe 10 days since and it now has almost 30,000 on it. Yes I have taken a few trips to the mountains giving it hell and probably made a total of 10 passes at the drag strip, but all of that plus the maybe once a week I "squid it up" have to be less than 10% of the 20,000 miles I've put on it. So maybe 2,000 "hard" miles, and that estimate is way high while the other 18,000 that I have put on it has been just commuting miles keeping the rpms under 8k which is nothing for these bikes.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2006 a few weeks ago with only 1350 miles on it for 3600 bucks and have had absolutely no problems. I changed the oil, oil filter, and tires right away and did some other mods, but performance wise, the bike ran perfectly at stock. A thousand miles later and I still have no problems. Just take a look at it and test drive any bike before you buy. Trust your gut!

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
A bike with high miles could be in better shape (engine wise) than a similiar low miler, as long as the bike was serviced regularly :thumbup:
I bought my 2004 fz6 with 21k miles september 2011, i now have nearly 28k on it. i always change the oil and filter every 3-4k miles :rockon:

My friend bought a 2005 fz6 with 2100 miles a few months ago. with some slight cosmetic damage. He said that when he got it that the servicing was non existant with the previous owner. he showed me pictures and it did look rough alright!
He has since cleaned it up and looks literally brand new. the only thing that worries me is that he is on the original tires and that the brake lines and everything else could be fooked and rotted as it was sitting up since 2005 :Flash:

My bt020's that were on my bike were installed 2yrs before i bought it (old valves may have been reused ), and when going to the garage to install the pilots 2's the valves were actually rotten. the mechanic showed me that there was cracks along the valves and that i could have had a blow out while driving :eek: :eek:

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2004 last July with 2400 miles on it and I was the 3rd owner. I've been very happy with it. I wouldn't be too worried about it as long as you give the bike a thorough inspection.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent points you guys, good stuff. That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. Thanks!!!:thumbup:

If he runs in front of you (don't see how he can hide a poor running bike).... Take it for a ride or ask him to ride it and show you it runs fine.... Then you will know your answer....

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Chevy on this one - high miles on a relatively late model... dems commutin miles. Really high miles on a late model? Touring miles. These are just generalizations, however. A 4 year old bike with 2,000 miles wasn't necessarily abused.

To Jeff, I would check out every bike you see listed in your price range/generation/color/etc that you want. Look for mature owners with garages. Touring/safety mods are potential signs for better treatment than speed mods.

Fat Broke

Reaction score
Visit site
If its been ridden regularly just not alot of miles you're absolutely fine. You worry about seals drying out corrosion, rust and and and if it's just been sitting and not ridden every once in a while. Low mileage bikes are everywhere, garage beauties and they are nothing to be afraid of. Ride it, take it for 15-20 mins.. Bounce it around, check the oil, slip the clutch nail the brakes and then check for fluid seepage. 9 times out of 10 you are perfectly fine. I let my bike sit, not even started for 4+ years, new battery, cranked her up and started and has no issues. 2002 with 10k... Find that low mileage garage queen and snag it!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 07 from my friend (it was his son's) with about 4,500 miles on it, dropped twice, each side. Very little maintainance done to it. I know what I was getting, what the parts to fix it would cost but got a great deal on it
($2,000). The engine still ran fine, needed a bunch of cosmetics (tank, fairing, fairing stay, etc). It looks new new now and has been serviced and maintained since I've owned it. Runs like a clock and just lots of fun.. I'll be keeping this bike for quite awhile...

As posted above, the main thing is to check the tank for rust, find out where its been stored (outside in wet damp weather under a tarp, in a ggarage, out in the sun, etc), check fluids and look for any inconsistancies in what your told and what you find... An older owner, who babied it is a bigger plus to me than the young guy that cranks it up cold, shows you how quick it rev's to 10,000 RPM... You need to run away from that bike...

Bring a trusted mechanic when you find something you like.

Last edited:

LesL60

Reaction score
Visit site
I am confessing to allowing my 04 FZ to"sleep" with minimal prep over the winter for 5 months. It starts right up and runs like usual on day one of spring. I am blessed with dumb luck. I promise to try harder this fall when I put it in the stable - my heated warehouse. That helps.

I love my FZ even more since it treats me better than I deserve.

Be safe everyone.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more with that train of thought. In most cases if you find a newer model bike with higher then average miles it means just the opposite. It was obviously rode a lot and probably as a commuter, vs a weekend play toy where every time it's taken out it gets thrashed through the mountains or what not.

Take my bike for example, I have a 2004 fz6 that I got last June with 10,000 on it. I have rode it all but maybe 10 days since and it now has almost 30,000 on it. Yes I have taken a few trips to the mountains giving it hell and probably made a total of 10 passes at the drag strip, but all of that plus the maybe once a week I "squid it up" have to be less than 10% of the 20,000 miles I've put on it. So maybe 2,000 "hard" miles, and that estimate is way high while the other 18,000 that I have put on it has been just commuting miles keeping the rpms under 8k which is nothing for these bikes.
^THIS^
Often those of us who ride, 20K a year (+/-) usually take better care of our bikes; we don't wanta get left stranded. :D Some low mileage bikes have been stunted, or are just neglected.
It's also a good idea to flush your brake lines on bikes that have sat. Eventually moisture works it's way in there and bungs 'em up. (Don't ask me how I'm aware of this fact! :spank: )

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am confessing to allowing my 04 FZ to"sleep" with minimal prep over the winter for 5 months. It starts right up and runs like usual on day one of spring. I am blessed with dumb luck. I promise to try harder this fall when I put it in the stable - my heated warehouse. That helps.

I love my FZ even more since it treats me better than I deserve.

Be safe everyone.

At the VERY LEAST, fill your fuel tank to the top and add Seafoam (on the heavy side-won't hurt anything) and run the engine to get it in the system before storing.

There are many other things you should do (battery prep, tires, brake flushing, changing oil, etc). Rust in the fuel tank and injectors is not unusual on a bike left with an empty tank and old stale, untreated fuel.. There's many posts here documenting it...