Short rear

FZ6OZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, i have been thinking of this for a while. I know someone who can help me do this but i would like some thoughts on the idea. The plan is to remove the rear section of the bike only leaving the riders seat. So no pillion, no rear tail or under seat exhaust, the exhaust will be moved to under neath the bike. I have done up a really bad impression to have a look at...... Give me your thoughts and ideas before i start please. and if you can see any problems.:thumbup:

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not fond of it, but each his own. One of the reasons that I bought the FZ was the underseat exhaust, But each his own.

Where would you mount the License Plate and Rear Signals? Also, would you extend the hugger to keep road debris off of your back? Where would you hide all of the fuses and electrical stuff that is behind the back pods? I think you would also lose the center stand with that exhaust.

Are these the questions that you were requesting? Just Curious.

Last edited:

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not fond of it, but each his own. One of the reasons that I bought the FZ was the underseat exhaust, But each his own.

Where would you mount the License Plate and Rear Signals? Also, would you extend the hugger to keep road debris off of your back? Where would you hide all of the fuses and electrical stuff that is behind the back pods? I think you would also lose the center stand with that exhaust.

Are these the questions that you were requesting? Just Curious.

All good points! I would add securing the seat?

I don't know, but it would seem that having the rear tire exposed like that would be dangerous, especially if you did not put some type of back stop on the seat to keep you from slipping off if you goosed it good?

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Like a Buell XB12S..... ?
buellXB-1.jpg

Different strokes, right.

I imagine you could wing it though. Personally I'd rather find a thrashed Fz6 to try it on than possibly messing up a perfectly good one. I don't mean that as dig. I just mean to say you could run into unforeseen problems halfway through. Then you're kinda screwed.

Last edited:

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd also find a way of coping with the thick line of mud, slurry and general grott that will be flung up all over the back of your jacket and helmet every time you ride in the rain!

Ever ridden a mountain bike without a rear mudguard through a muddy field? Now imagine that five times thicker, and flung up ten times faster...

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Interesting and ambitious idea there. Like others, it's not my cup of tea, but would be a very unique mod and look for an FZ6!! I'm sure there is a way to do it and make it work. Good luck and keep us posted.

Maybe trade in the FZ for that buell XB12S?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kinda cool, not my cup of tea but it looks like a fun challenge. I agree, find a trashed one first.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
I never liked the looks of bikes with short tails that don't cover the rear. It looks like a dog with a docked tail.

And you lose 1) the ability to carry things, 2) the ability to carry people, and 3) protection from crap flung up by the rear tire.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Quite a few people did that on my last bike forum and made amazing streetfighters. It was usualloy a cheap old bike though. Click on my website link below and click on the "Hardcore Modded GPZ500S's" link on the left and you can see them. Chopped bikes look great but if you do it - it will probably invalidate your insurance as you've modded the frame. Another popular mod was replacing the entire rear subframe with an R6 one. You probably will get more crap thrown on your back, but you obviously want to do it for the hardcore looks and won't be bothered about that so I say definitely go for it and post lots of pics showing what you did! :rockon:

FZ6OZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the opinions. This is way its great to be a member of the forum, so many opions. After looking at it (pulled the rear apart this morning) it may be harder than we first thought. It may change now to a R6 rear :rockon:. I didn't think about the extra mud and crap flying up my back! My mate builds custom bike and i have seen a few with the short rear end and it looked great (but no FZ6). So i think a R6 end maybe the go. Has anyone done one before with thr6 rear?