Shopping for tyres.....

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, G'day Ladles and Jellyspoons, I have been looking at the prices of tyres.

My FZ6 doesn't need them, yet, but as I don't like surprises, I have started looking.

My preferred list of tyres is short, as (I think!) I know what I want, so here goes.

Michelin Pilot Road 3, from the following retailers will cost:
GC Motorcycles (both prices fitted and balanced)
F = $245
R = $330

Peter Stevens (plus $40 ea(!)to fit and balance)
F = $211
R = $299

Two Wheel Tyres, Blacksoil (plus $30 shipping and $40pr to fit/balance)
F = $198
R = $278

Metzler Z8 from the following:
GC Motorcycles (both prices fitted and balanced)
F = $220
R = $305

Peter Stevens (plus $40 ea(!) to fit and balance)
F = $215
R = $305

Two Wheel Tyres, Blacksoil (plus $30 shipping and $40pr to fit/balance)
F = $183
R = $258

And just when I thought I knew what was going on, Peter Stevens threw the Dunlop RoadSmart tyres at me (plus $40pr to fit/balance), for:
F = $190
R = $260

So - that's what I'm currently looking at, and I'd appreciate opinions/experiences to help me pick the most appropriate option.

My bike is used primarily as a commuter, as I live 60kms+ away from work (120kms+ return, per day), so needs good straight-road longevity, but thanks to the great roads in SA, I do like to corner carve when the opportunity presents itself.

Any and all opinions/help/guidance appreciated.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT:
PR3 - Bikebiz (plus $8 shipping & $40pr fit/bal)
F = $228
R = $338 (190/50-17)

PR3 - Rocky Mountain ATV/MC US (plus $75 shipping & $40pr fit/bal)
F = $US133
R = $US170
($AU357del + $40pr fit/bal!)

Dunlop RoadSmart - MotoSport US (plus $30 shipping & $40pr fit/bal)
F = $AU152
R = $AU204
($AU386del + $40pr fit/bal)

It really does make it hard to support Australian retailers, when it appears we're being reamed so bad....

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try bikebiz in Sydney. They have good online prices, $8 delivery nationwide. We got a great deal on Pirellis for Mikes XJR a few months back.

not4us

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a set of Pirelli Dragon's from Motorcycle Parts & Gear – Dirt Bike/MX, ATV, Street Bike & Motorcycle Accessories | MotoSport shipped for only $250AUD (the whole set) but looks like they are not doing tyres anymore...
I woudl try ATV Parts, ATV Tires, Dirt Bike Parts, Motocross Gear, Motorcycle parts and Motorcycle Tires | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, I think a set of Pilot Road 3's from them works out at just over $350AUD shipped, then find a local mob to fit them (I paid $50 for both tyres).

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is mainly a commuter & until recently it was mostly motorway running of 100+ k's/day... The Metzeler Z8's gave me 22000k on the front & 18000k on the rear which was on par with my previous set of Metzeler Z6's :thumbup:

Now at my new job my commute is only 7k's & suburban Rd's with a few wicked round-a-bouts ;) , im hoping now i'll wear the sides a little more :rockon:

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
G&Cs on Main North Road are the only place I go for tyres.
They are competitively priced and are very customer focused. If the Pilot 2cts are anything to go by I would have to choose the Pilot 3's.

The G&Cs on South Road tried to sell me Shinko's and, although I did not want them, tried the hard sell.

I got about 12000 out of my first rear. Replaced the stock front at about 10k and now at 45k with tread to spare.

If you want to try a local give "the garage" a call in strath. They wont be as competitive however.

http://www.garagemotorcycles.com.au/

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got tyres, after finding after a spirited ride that I had worn through the top layer of my rear!

Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact F&R from Total Motorcycles in Pooraka - for $430, fitted and balanced!

Significantly cheaper than any other dealer in Oz, by quite a margin!

Shop looks dodgy as, but I watched him carefully and he ticked all the boxes - and probably more importantly, had a queue of 6 people lined up behind me to get tyres fitted.

Gets my recommendation!

Cheers,
Rick

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A bit late but balmain motorcycles is cheap.

PR3's fitted is $449 front and back with a goodies bag attached atm,

and the other month i got a set of pilot pures for $399. All advertised prices, no haggling.