Shifting

detpilot

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you guys follow the shifting schedule in the manual? It says to shift from 1st to second at 15mph, etc. It seems that if you follow it, you never really get into the power band. If I recall correctly, it has you in 6th gear at around 50mph.

The manual says you should always shift at those points, but I feel that the bike is really sluggish with such low RPM. Just curious as to your opinions, thanks!

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Once the engine is broken in (1000 miles or so) I see no need to follow the manual.
I have always been told that any bike need to be "Ridden Like It Was Stolen" from time to time (within limits), - meaning you redline it in every gear ...

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those guidelines don't really mean anything for shifting up, but you might follow them for down shifting, ex: don't try to get back down into first until below 15 mph. Use your judgment.

And, as far as following that crap during the break in period, no, just don't try to down shift too soon into any gear. You'll find it easier to get the bike into 1st at speeds below 15 mph, etc...

You should check out http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm for break in procedure.

Do a forum search about break in and you'll get everyone's opinion.

You should NOT lug your bike, especially during break in, so don't follow that crap when you're up shifting.

The whole 1000 miles is a bunch of BS. Don't listen to it.

detpilot

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! The bike was bought used, with 7,000 miles, so it's not an issue of breaking it in. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Appreciate the advice! :thumbup:

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would brake the bike in slow like the book says, but after that ride it a little harder, no going crazy, but let the rpm's go to 7-8k then shift. Don't forget the fizzer is a mid-range bike so it loves to rev. As far as down shifting, I most of the time before down shifting i pre-rev and slide it in, works like a charm!!!

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I'd ride it as you see fit. No paying attention to specifically when to shift. Just shift it when you should as you're riding around and you'll notice that you're not really pushing the bike AT ALL unless you're really hammering the canyons...but daily driving probably doesn't see a lot of redlines LOL

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Shifting is best determined based on the situation, and your own personal feel.

If you always shift at the same time/rpm, you'll find yourself in situations without usable power, which can be bad.

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
As above, if you've got 7k on the bike then it's as run in as it'll ever be, so use your own judgement on when to shift. If you're just bumbling about, commuting, or it's raining like a beyotch then shift early, limit the engine power and use the torque.

If you're out to have some fun, shift higher... these bikes come alive at 7,000rpm and are in full song at 10,000rpm so if you never get anywhere near those revs, you're never getting the best out of the engine.

There's a good reason why Yamaha gave it a 14,000rpm redline :D

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As above, if you've got 7k on the bike then it's as run in as it'll ever be, so use your own judgement on when to shift. If you're just bumbling about, commuting, or it's raining like a beyotch then shift early, limit the engine power and use the torque.

If you're out to have some fun, shift higher... these bikes come alive at 7,000rpm and are in full song at 10,000rpm so if you never get anywhere near those revs, you're never getting the best out of the engine.

There's a good reason why Yamaha gave it a 14,000rpm redline :D

^^^^+2^^^^

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought it was interesting that my manual's downshift chart said 15.5 mph for EVERY gear. Ever since I noticed my CB250 manual had a different shift chart than what was suggested on the stock speedo, I don't take any of it as the final word.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't lug it, ride the pi$$ out of it. 600's like that.

Be nice at the same time with oil changes and other kind maintenance.