Shifting Technique

vb7prog

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like I have a wierd shifting technique, although it feels quite natural while I do it.

I pretty much always do clutch upshifting with no clutch downshifting. The clutch engaged upshifting I feel I do because of the lack of torque I like to rev the gas alot and at higher rpms it is harder to shift fast. I can easily do clutchless upshifting, but I find it takes a very relaxed type of riding to accomplish (one that doesn't really suite commuter riding in CA). Also with lane filtering I find myself between two cagers often and need to greatly out accelerate off the line them which again makes it difficult to up-shift without the clutch.

But on downshifting, it feels so natural to just let off the accelerator, apply slight downward pressure on the shifter and it pretty much pops into place, many times I feel like I am at the proper RPM but I don't really revmatch with throttle or fully get into it, just like sound of the bike, RPM and general SPEED, downshift pretty easy.

I really enjoy engine braking, and if I use the clutch it feels like it takes to long to cycle through the gears / feels unnatural... I would if it was at really high rpms or out of "rev-matching" range.

So my question would be, is clutch-less downshifting bad on fz6, and how many ppl feel the same way about using clutch with upshifts but not downshifts (does this bike lend itself to this kind of use ?).

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you'll actually find most people on here are opposite of you. I feel more comfortable upshifting without the clutch than downshifting. Also, most people on here would probably agree that it's faster (and smoother) to clutchless upshift when you're high in the rpm range than down low (as in less of a relaxed riding style for clutchless shifts). But to each his own, do whatever works. I find that most of the time, I just use the clutch because it's much easier to replace worn disks than it is to replace the shift forks or dogs in the trans. When I get on it though, I love power shifting through the gears and ringing the motor out.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
I Think you guys are crazy. I ALWAYS use my clutch.. thats what its there for....

pull it in before you shift gears and drop it as soon as your foot shifts you up or down. Honeslty i feel like i can have it timed perfectly.

when you want to go fast i feel using the clutch lets me build the rpms ever so slightly before dropping the clutch compared to just hard shifting, resulting in a boost almost.

I shift through many gears at a time a lot. For example when i want to go fast in town ill rip 1st gear to the speed limit then up shift all the way to 4th gear before letting the clutch out. While preparing for a stop in a parking lot or for a turn i find myself doing the same but down from 4th or 5th or 6th to 2ed or 3rd before giving her some gas to revmatch and letting the clutch out in preparation for the turn. 99% of the time if I'm going to make a pass I'm dropping more than 1 gear.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I pretty much just use the clutch to shift for 1-2 and vice versa. Even then it's more like a half-pull, just to dampen the harsh shift a little. I'll do the same if I'm downshifting aggressively for engine braking.

You can easily upshift with no clutch, just let off the throttle a hair, click up, and get back on it. That's essentially what a quickshifter does- it momentarily cuts throttle to unload the gears when it senses pressure on the shift rod.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I Think you guys are crazy. I ALWAYS use my clutch.. thats what its there for....

pull it in before you shift gears and drop it as soon as your foot shifts you up or down. Honeslty i feel like i can have it timed perfectly.

when you want to go fast i feel using the clutch lets me build the rpms ever so slightly before dropping the clutch compared to just hard shifting, resulting in a boost almost.

I shift through many gears at a time a lot. For example when i want to go fast in town ill rip 1st gear to the speed limit then up shift all the way to 4th gear before letting the clutch out. While preparing for a stop in a parking lot or for a turn i find myself doing the same but down from 4th or 5th or 6th to 2ed or 3rd before giving her some gas to revmatch and letting the clutch out in preparation for the turn. 99% of the time if I'm going to make a pass I'm dropping more than 1 gear.

I definitely agree, I use the clutch for all of my shifts 99.9% of the time, but that .1% is when I'm really getting on it. Clutchless shifting IS faster, and the quickshifters on new bikes/ motoGP bikes prove it. They use temporary ignition or fueling cut-offs to break the force between the crank shaft and the transmission allowing seamless shifts without using the clutch.

I've heard the argument that "the clutch is there for a reason" all the time. Just an FYI, the real reason the clutch is there is because of stopping and starting. Our transmissions are constant mesh, which means that the gears on the primary transmission shaft are constantly in contact with the gears on the lay shaft, and the gears on the lay shaft are in contact with the gears on the output shaft. So when we shift, we're just using the shift forks to move the dogs in and out of place. There is no actual gear grinding that could occur. The dogs can be broken, but as long as tension in the driveline is broken (by the clutch or by letting off the throttle momentarily), then the dogs will gladly slide into place.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Being a constant mesh type tranny, clutchless upshifting is easy and fast when your at the right rpm:speed. Downshifting is another story and if I'm zomming to get late in a turn using engine and brake to slow I rev match my down shifting for smother engine brake transition. I don't think I'd ever do clutchless downshifts unless it were an emergency from clutch failure.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to try shifting without the clutch since now you guys have given me an idea how the transmission works, but idk something about the little bit of rpm boost by the clutch freeing it up feels stronger to me.
I can see the moto gp bikes that can easily spin the tire from doing that wouldnt want too but on the fz i think its a different story
Gp bikes also have gas and tire limits

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since some minor mods to the engine its throttle response is much improved and clutchless shifting up and down is pretty eventless. That said I can smoothly go through all gears seamlessly but I don't at WOT throttle. Maybe something like 80%.

A responsive engine allows very minor inputs with at the wrist and clutchless shifting a becomes a breeze.

Another point is clutch lever travel. With adjustable levers proper clutch slack is obtainable as is a very short pull (think quick, Not Overkill, wasted travel). Anyway I LOVE the narrow zone the FZ has! Its perfect for playing. Let it move just enough to disconnect the power! That said missed shifts WILL TEAR up the trans as it rounds the clutch dogs which result in it popping out of gear if it happens enough.

Anyone notice the new R1 has OEM quickshift?!