Shifter adjusment issues- FYI

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While going over the bike the am, I noticed when downshifting fully, the inside of the shifter lever itself was just touching the kickstand bolt.

The bike shifted fine, I do have the adjustment set low (personal preferance).

Looking closer, I ended up bending the shifter itself out maybe 1/8" (the bike had been down by the PO). (the shifter was was removed and put in a vise, DO NOT ATTEMPT ON THE BIKE).

I also noticed, see below pictures, that the entire shifter arm does have a physical (non-adjustable) stop where it passes thru the mount. The second picture is AFTER I pulled the shifter out about 1/8".

Note:pictures took were with the shifter in the full DOWN POSITION. You can see the actual head of the kickstand bolt is shiny where the the shifter was just touching it.

Everythings re-adjusted and straightened out, still, no issues...

*Point being, IF your having DOWNSHIFTING PROBLEMS, check to make sure you have physical clearance between the shifter arm itself and the aluminum plate it bolts to... If it hits, your physically not able to fully downshift the mechanism..

BTW, for adjustment purposes, the lower end of the rod is REVERSE THREADED. The locking nut is 10mm, the Heim joint ends are 11mm with the lower fitting having 4 flats to keep all the heim joints lined up..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While going over the bike the am, I noticed when downshifting fully, the inside of the shifter lever itself was just touching the kickstand bolt.

The bike shifted fine, I do have the adjustment set low (personal preferance).

Looking closer, I ended up bending the shifter itself out maybe 1/8" (the bike had been down by the PO). (the shifter was was removed and put in a vise, DO NOT ATTEMPT ON THE BIKE).

I also noticed, see below pictures, that the entire shifter arm does have a physical (non-adjustable) stop where it passes thru the mount. The second picture is AFTER I pulled the shifter out about 1/8".

Note:pictures took were with the shifter in the full DOWN POSITION. You can see the actual head of the kickstand bolt is shiny where the the shifter was just touching it.

Everythings re-adjusted and straightened out, still, no issues...

*Point being, IF your having DOWNSHIFTING PROBLEMS, check to make sure you have physical clearance between the shifter arm itself and the aluminum plate it bolts to... If it hits, your physically not able to fully downshift the mechanism..

BTW, for adjustment purposes, the lower end of the rod is REVERSE THREADED. The locking nut is 10mm, the Heim joint ends are 11mm with the lower fitting having 4 flats to keep all the heim joints lined up..

Why didn't you just GRIND DOWN the kick stand bolt! :BLAA: :spank: :spank:

Just kidding! Well it quit raining after month. Now its 38F outside! I'm envious! :rolleyes:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why didn't you just GRIND DOWN the kick stand bolt! :BLAA: :spank: :spank:

Just kidding! Well it quit raining after month. Now its 38F outside! I'm envious! :rolleyes:

The shifter was apart several times when the PO had it. I just got both ends started at the same time now (as it should have been), I like it set low but its got clearance now...

Just glued on a fender extender on the front fender (off the bike) and rode to the GF's house with no ft fender... Damn, its ugly without a ft fender.... Tomorrow am it goes back on (as long as the glue took)..

74 degrees (F) right now per the news, sunny, get to wear my heavy leather jacket during the late day, evening.. Gets friggin chilly in the mid 50's riding home..:)

All the sweating during the summer finally pays off, this is riding weather down here now....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of glue did you use? Hopefully it was good and roughed up as you don't want to suck/run over your own parts!!!! Hey, it doesn't rain there much, why you need an extender??? For the freak flash storms?? Show us some pictures when done. . . :thumbup:

And as usual; thanks for helping everyone out with the tips!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of glue did you use? Hopefully it was good and roughed up as you don't want to suck/run over your own parts!!!! Hey, it doesn't rain there much, why you need an extender??? For the freak flash storms?? Show us some pictures when done. . . :thumbup:

And as usual; thanks for helping everyone out with the tips!

The summer is our rainy season. Its not unusual to see 2" in one downpour so yes, we see quite a bit of rain...No sprinklers needed... The west coast of Florida see's VERY HEAVY afternoon thunder boomers regularly.

Just took the clamps off the fender, came out real good, seams are all tight, very, very sturdy (it sat clamped overnight). Looks stock actually, just black...

I taped off EVERYTHING I didn't want glue on, taped padding on the "C" clamps I used so I didn't scratch/cause any damage to the fender.

I used REGULAR PVC glue used for plumbing (from Lowes). Acetone to clean the inside of the fender, same for the "to be glued" section of the extender. And no, I didn't rough it up... Figured PVC pipe to a coupler, all is smooth. On my FJR I didn't rough up the inside either, stayed there as long as I had the bike, up to 145MPH..

*Big tip, apply glue, medium thickness to JUST THE EXTENDER, not to the fender... Position where you want it, had a friend apply the C clamps quickly before the glue set up.. My FJR, I put on an extender, same way but glued the fender too. If you looked real close, it just began to warp the plastic fender ever so slightly. The FZ has NO warpage.

Pic's later today once the sun comes up..

This link show's the prcedure on an FJR fender:

FJRTech.com - Dedicated to the FJR1300 Enthusiast! :thumbup:

Here ya go:

Last edited: