setting suspension? help

Z

Zealadin

I've found (going from a less powerful bike) theres a few issues that have been causing me to run wide alot too:

Its alot more powerful, and if I don't commit to the corners (leaning far enough and with enough speed) then I often go wide.
The rear brake lever is too high for me and changing it makes it way too low, so I can't put my weight into that peg for turning (putting the weight into the pegs when turning makes the bike feel totally different, and respond really well)
First gear is good till well past 40km/h but trying to corner in it it just seems to have too much torque, generally much better to stay in second, I'm not technical, but in first accelerating through corners the bike wants to stand right up, or the power through the back wheel makes it skip out

I'm about 70kg, in gear so it might be those factors. Generally knowing what gear to be in and having confidence helps a huge amount however, hope thats helpful, otherwise check your suspension to make sure the seals haven't gone if its an old bike.
I won't try and advice on changing the suspension because its different than on my old bike, BUT it might be as simple as pulling a thin metal bar into the slot and either pushing it up or down a notch. Would need to take a look and its probably worth getting someone with more experiences help.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
I have it set @ 5.
And i'm 87kg naked :D

The belgian suspension guru said that I must not go above 5 (unless riding duo) cause the bike still has to have some negative travel. When you pull the bike up, the suspension has to "expand" a little.

With you're weight I would go for setting 4 ... or 3 depending on your personal pref.

CZAR357

Reaction score
Visit site
You basically weigh the same as me. I run it on 2. It is fine in the twisties for me and is a lot better than the stiff settings when going over bumpy roads.

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about 95kg plus whatever my gear weighs and mine's currently on 5 I think. Best way is to ride it for a week or so, then crank it up a notch. Repeat. You should then find what works best for you and the way you ride.

The stock setting I think was 3 which was a bit bouncy for me. It's easy to change with the big C spanner in the toolkit and the extending handle.

Have fun.

Last edited:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day mate. I'm 100kg and I've got it set at max (7).

My advice is to try a known bend or series of bends with a bit of bumpiness and/or a nice dip in them. Don't go nuts but just firm and smooth.. If you feel the rear wallow you need to stiffen it up. I'm guessing 4-5 preload. I'd go up one more if I had it...lol.:thumbup:

As for running wide...I dunno...Just smoothly push your lower side bar forward and look through the corner at where you want to go (keep an eye out for road surface and debris though...lol). If it's still causing you grief, lean your upper body over some as well (aiming your chest at where you want to go also). These beasts turn in quite well I find and are as nippy as in switchbacks and esses.:rockon:

Don't push too hard, too soon though. Bonding can take a different amount of time for different folks on different bikes. Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know.:D

And now my patented disclaimer:D...lol...I'm no expert. This is my opinion and maybe it'd be better to talk to an expert, but I've done 45,000km on my FZ6 in 13 months and we are well bonded...lol.

Cheers
Mike