Sedici HOTWIRE jacket controller position *GRRRR*

Themadclowns

Reaction score
Visit site
so yesterday, I went to my local Cycle Gear here in Kent WA and purchased my first heated jacket, a Sedici HOTWIRE jacket which came with a push button 4 heat position style controller. First, because I always try to overemphasize the positive, I want to say that the jacket is AWESOME. Heats up to max in under a min, the outer construction is a wind breaking material, the inner construction is a light fleece. It works beautifully. Now the frustration I have with this product. The placement of the controller is not what I would call optimal. The controller has a 1 ft reach and is designed to reside inside the heated jacket about center chest. Now, when i wear gear for winter I have heavy gloves, a rain jacket, my armor gear, and the heated jacket, all of which are over this controller making it very difficult to press the flush mount heat selector button, or to tell what the heat setting is. The connectors are all standard coax and I have an idea of how i could modify the cabling to run the controller to a location on my bike, i just need to know if basically adding a couple feet to the controller, and placing it in the elements is going to be a problem. If there is anyone out there who could share their insight on this, any information would be helpful.

Themadclowns

Reaction score
Visit site
Here you go. :) It is a pretty sweet setup, and let me tell ya, it was 37 deg today on my 1 and a half hour commute this morning, and i only had it on 50% and was warm and toasty. so no complaints there!

View attachment 45379

View attachment 45380

View attachment 45381

View attachment 45382

so yea, getting more use to the controller, still not optimal. I like modifying things to make them perfect :) no problem doing it, just want some opinions.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about getting that jacket to wear under my leathers for my night commutes. Attaching it to the battery bothersome while riding?? Or are the cables a pain in the butt.

Themadclowns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a power bridge that I run my accessories to, so getting power was no sweat. The plug is run so that it pops right out the hole in the frame where the rear brake fluid res is. Plugging in and out is easy enough. Was thinking about installing an actual port on the right rear ferring, but decided that if I forgot I was plugged and stood up that might b bad. When I am done being adjusted at my chiropractor ill post a couple more pics.

Themadclowns

Reaction score
Visit site
on the right u can see where the cable is poking out, and on the left is an old power port that no longer has any internals, just a housing with a hole straight thru. This is where I was thinking about a coax port.

View attachment 45392

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally would not tamper with the existing plug ends, but would find the mate to them and simply build an extension for them. If they used conventional DIN style plugs you could pick a couple up or even order a pre-made cable. As for the controller, it looks like something you'll want to kept dry. Find a way to bag it, seal it, protect it.

Google some suppliers . . . C2G, formerly Cables To Go - Computer Cables, Audio Video Cables, DVI Cables, USB Cables, HDMI, KVMs, Cat5E, Video Splitters, Adapter

Themadclowns

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks fer the input. The last week or so I have been using my jacket a lot and with heated grips, the headlight mod, and now a heated jacket, my sissy little charging system is not working out. If I had the heated grips on high, the second headlight on, and the jacket on high, after about 40 min the engine light comes on telling me the battery is gasping for breath, and after my 1 hr and 15min commute is over, the bike is dead. With Headlight on, heated grips on high, and jacket on 50% battery will (just barely) turn the bike over. Sooooo, I decided to get me a L-ion battery (Ballistic), and use my stock battery (7 yr old and original, still kicking and working well) to power my jacket. With heat on 50% it lasts 1 hr and 15 min then i just trickle charge it up for my ride home. I am (grudgingly) use to the button set up now and this morning it was 30 deg and the jacket did great at 50%.

WITH ALL THAT being said, anyone have any opinion on a better way to set this up? Higher output alt/stator out there? Better battery setup for jacket? Am I just smoking something since I am even considering this type of commute in WA state thru winter on a motorcycle? Any/all opinions are :welcome:.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
How is the jacket if you don't mind me asking?

I usually avoid buying cycle gear store brands. But from the pics the jacket looks fairly nice. And I think you get a lifetime warranty/replacement from Cyclegear for their store brand stuff.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks fer the input. The last week or so I have been using my jacket a lot and with heated grips, the headlight mod, and now a heated jacket, my sissy little charging system is not working out. If I had the heated grips on high, the second headlight on, and the jacket on high, after about 40 min the engine light comes on telling me the battery is gasping for breath, and after my 1 hr and 15min commute is over, the bike is dead. With Headlight on, heated grips on high, and jacket on 50% battery will (just barely) turn the bike over. Sooooo, I decided to get me a L-ion battery (Ballistic), and use my stock battery (7 yr old and original, still kicking and working well) to power my jacket. With heat on 50% it lasts 1 hr and 15 min then i just trickle charge it up for my ride home. I am (grudgingly) use to the button set up now and this morning it was 30 deg and the jacket did great at 50%.

WITH ALL THAT being said, anyone have any opinion on a better way to set this up? Higher output alt/stator out there? Better battery setup for jacket? Am I just smoking something since I am even considering this type of commute in WA state thru winter on a motorcycle? Any/all opinions are :welcome:.
Theres nothing to beat a fresh morning ride. Fair play to you for doing it.
I commute all year round but its only a 20-25 minute journey. The temperature here is about 39F. I don't have any electrically heated grips, jacket etc.

Neil

Themadclowns

Reaction score
Visit site
Posterfz6, the jacket is great. If you just use the jacket, the fz6 can handle the draw on 100% power, but just barely. At 100% it is really warm... as in borderline hot. Sedeci has lifetime warranty, Bilt has 5 year warranty and I have a lot of Bilt gear and am moderately pleased with it for the money. the jacket is $150 and the controller is $60 (unless u can get the package deal where u get the controller for free).