Second Helmet Lock

• Thread starter Deleted member 17211
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17211

Hi all,

So my idea is to find a crashed FZ6, get the helmet lock, and make a clamping bracket for the other side to mount it to. I searched the forum for "helmet lock" but didn't find anything.

What do you guys think? It'll be cool to make a stock-looking twin helmet lock for the other side.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

So my idea is to find a crashed FZ6, get the helmet lock, and make a clamping bracket for the other side to mount it to. I searched the forum for "helmet lock" but didn't find anything.

What do you guys think? It'll be cool to make a stock-looking twin helmet lock for the other side.

I think that would be ownage - keep us posted - I need another lock as well.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I Think that this is a good idea...however, you will have a separate key for the second lock as it will have come from a different bike. Just something to think about.

If you want to give it a go I do have a helmet lock with key that I would be willing to sell.

Last edited:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I Think that this is a good idea...however, you will have a separate key for the second lock as it will have come from a different bike. Just something to think about.

If you want to give it a go I do have a helmet lock with key that I would be willing to sell.

Is it off an S2, or is it an aftermarket option?

D

Deleted member 17211

That's a good point! I wonder, if I get in touch with a Yammy dealer, will they get another lock with my key. Something to think about.

I'll keep you all posted, because I can fashion up the bracket at work most likely.

dnellans

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone added a _first_ helmet lock to an older bike that didn't have them? probably be about the same type of mod as adding the second...

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
To be perfectly honest it sounds like you are over thinking this by about a million percent. If you want to lock your helmet there are hundreds of cable style locks that are small enough to fit in the front pocket of your jeans. A pistol lock is the perfect size and length, same with a small cable lock for skis or a snowboard, laptop lock would work as well.

I have all but cut the welds off my helmet lock. Never used it, never even considered it. Way too much of a PITA.

Last edited:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
To be perfectly honest it sounds like you are over thinking this by about a million percent. If you want to lock your helmet there are hundreds of cable style locks that are small enough to fit in the front pocket of your jeans. A pistol lock is the perfect size and length, same with a small cable lock for skis or a snowboard, laptop lock would work as well.

I have all but cut the welds off my helmet lock. Never used it, never even considered it. Way too much of a PITA.

I use my helmet lock every day, unless it is raining.

Like the OP, I have a need to attach, and securely, two helmets at times - if we've already got one helmet lock, it would make more sense to have a matching one.

I've looked at options such as the HelmetLok, cable or not, and don't want one of those. An S2 lock in good knick would easily be rekeyed by a locksmith, and i don't have to remember to bring anything other than my bike key (unavoidable), nor store anything on my bike just in case.

D

Deleted member 17211

I use my helmet lock every day, unless it is raining.

Like the OP, I have a need to attach, and securely, two helmets at times - if we've already got one helmet lock, it would make more sense to have a matching one.

I've looked at options such as the HelmetLok, cable or not, and don't want one of those. An S2 lock in good knick would easily be rekeyed by a locksmith, and i don't have to remember to bring anything other than my bike key (unavoidable), nor store anything on my bike just in case.

My thoughts exactly. :thumbup:

I'm trying to figure out how I'm overthinking it by any percent... um, simple lock, simple bracket, cheap solution, nothing extra to carry around... this sounds a lot better than a cable lock. :D

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Take your helmet with you. I never leave my helmet behind, locked or unlocked.

I live in Townsville - my mate has left his key in his bike at least three times (for at least three or four hours) and come back to it still there. I've accidentally left the shed unlocked a half dozen times, and never lost anything.

People just don't steal **** here; there ain't much in Townsville worth stealing to make people consider it an option.

I understand your point, but if I can see my bike, or it is in an area that is high enough exposure or traffic that I'm comfortable leaving it there, I'd rather have somewhere to leave my helmet - and occasionally my girls helmet too :)

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is a take-off a knock-off, or was it simply removed from an S2?

My bad...I always forget about terminology differences across the pond! :)

"Take-off" to me means removed from the bike, as in a stock part removed from the 07' S2 model.

Hope this helps!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my second lock on the right side, under the damaged (and since replaced pod). Its been re-keyed to fit the ignition and the other lock. No cables, no removing the seat, etc...

On the left side, I attached my BMW style electrical outlet (for heated gear, air compressor, battery charger, etc) ahead of the pillion foot rest and moved the stock LS lock out as well to the same bracket (easier to get to) and it matches the right side.

Both brackets are made of 1/8" aluminum and fit in-between the rear peg mount and the frame. There is some bending after drilling the holes to get the bracket flat to the frame (vise and larger adjustable wrench).

I use them all the time. Just make sure you fabricate it so when the lock is open the u shaped arm doesn't hit the frame or drop your helmet when opened...

Here's a link on how to re-key a Helmet Guardian:

Helmet Guardian locks - FJRForum

Harald bought some helmet lock brackets from me for his Gen I FJR and made this post for the other guys on the forum...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
Nemo - i hope you find what you're looking for in getting that on your bike.

For my last bike, i made a helmet hook (and bungee hooks) under the seat:

Last edited: