Seat Shaving...any help???

economarte

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a 2006 seat from ebay, 70,00 GBP from UK.

I searched around the net and i found two ways to shave the seat

The one is to shave it from the upper side, and the other from above.

If you cut from below, i think you don't mess with the original shape of the seat, but don't know if there will be a problem if you sit on it,maybe bend in the middle or smth like that.

Any help?

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
i shaved mine from above, today in fact, it took some time to get it smooth so when pulling the material back, it doesnt look like a mess.

i imagine from below will be easier as you dont need to worry about painstaking sanding.

i wouldnt worry and bending or anything, just take your time and do it right the 1st time, dont take short cuts, draw on it with a sharpie if you need to before you start cutting to make sure you are cutting even

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
If the seat pan is flat, I don't see why you couldn't simply trim off a half inch or whatever amount you wanted to. It would be important to try and keep the cutting level, so the shape sits 'square' when you are done.

In the past, I have trimmed seat foam from above, and got decent results.

If it were me, I would buy high quality seat foam, and use the OEM foam as a model for what shape you want to carve. Someone suggest that getting the seat foam from a car seat would be a cheap source of good quality stuff.......

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I shaved my stock seat from the bottom to make sure the top had a smooth, consistent look to it. It was a messy job but I was very happy with the end results. I was able to put more foot down which gave me more confidence.

I must have deleted the instructions, but I will look around for them.....

ok I found a 'how to' but it's from a R6 forum, but you'll get the jest......

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...e-seat-without-lumps-maintain-stock-look.html

I think I got the instructions from Steph...you could try PMing her.

Last edited:

economarte

Reaction score
Visit site
I shaved my stock seat from the bottom to make sure the top had a smooth, consistent look to it. It was a messy job but I was very happy with the end results. I was able to put more foot down which gave me more confidence.

I must have deleted the instructions, but I will look around for them.....

ok I found a 'how to' but it's from a R6 forum, but you'll get the jest......

How To: Shave Seat Without Lumps, Maintain Stock Look : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

I think I got the instructions from Steph...you could try PMing her.

Thx for the link, fom here i saw the idea of shaving the seat from below....

But, i think i'll shave it from above,
Wish me good luck,,,,,,,photos of the result soon :)