Screw in Tire (pic)

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
I found this screw in my tire yesterday while moving the bike around in my garage. I dont know how long it has been there, but I imagine it was just from the last time I rode, 5 days ago. Should I be worried it got there intentionally? I cant image when someone would have done this (I park in a garage at home, and a garage at work), but it is hard for me to picture a screw going perfectly into the tire with the screw head flush with the surface. Its hard to see in the picture, but I could easily back the screw out because the philips head grooves are still there. I assume I should probably look at tire replacement(s). I bought the bike last April and I am not sure how many miles are on the tires. They are Michelin PR2's and the manufactured date is December 2008. I was thinking new tires were in order at the end of summer anyway. Sigh, I would rather spend the money on gear or something...:(

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
Manufacturers recommend a four year shelf life on tyres, so they are due. The compound will of hardened and outright grip will be reduced.

But If you're not pushing them too hard, you could get the hole plugged until you're ready to replace them.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Great, huh? I have a nail. Going to inside patch it since tire is relatively new. Nope, I see it as normal that you picked the screw up like that. Darn nails 'n screws!!!!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found this screw in my tire yesterday while moving the bike around in my garage. I dont know how long it has been there, but I imagine it was just from the last time I rode, 5 days ago. Should I be worried it got there intentionally? I cant image when someone would have done this (I park in a garage at home, and a garage at work), but it is hard for me to picture a screw going perfectly into the tire with the screw head flush with the surface. Its hard to see in the picture, but I could easily back the screw out because the philips head grooves are still there. I assume I should probably look at tire replacement(s). I bought the bike last April and I am not sure how many miles are on the tires. They are Michelin PR2's and the manufactured date is December 2008. I was thinking new tires were in order at the end of summer anyway. Sigh, I would rather spend the money on gear or something...:(
I have had a screw go in flush like that. Screw it out and see if the tyre deflates? It might only be half a screw and may not have gone right through the carcass. To be honest it is probably not a deliberate act, the time and effort required to get it in don't make the risk worth it. A good old Stanley knife can cut the valve off or slash the tyre in seconds.
If the tyre holds it's pressure squirt a good lump of vulcanizing rubber in the hole let it set and your good to go.
This is what I would do and have done, obviously tyres are a major component and if in doubt change them.

Neil

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes running it over with the front tire will shoot it into the rear tire. I had a large staple in my rear tire, pulled it out and dumped a bottle of slime into it. No problems for a couple thousand miles:thumbup:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks about right. If you had run over it sideways it wouldn't have stuck. At least it's not in the side wall. I picked up two nails on my back tire once. Both wentin from the bottom and out through the side wall.

"Why's my back tire so mushy?" Turns around and looks at flat rear tire. "****" The harley guys were nice enough to put slime in my rear tire and air it up for free. Made it 20 miles to the yami dealership.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Should you repair it, IMO, I'd use a combo patch / plug:

JSG381 - Steelman Tools

You do have to remove the tire from the wheel, grind the inside of the tire super smooth and glue it like a bike tire. Its about the best permanent repair you can do. Just make sure its fully vulcanized..
What about if the screw isn't through and through? would you still go the whole hog with the patch?

Neil

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
What about if the screw isn't through and through? would you still go the whole hog with the patch?

Neil

I would just because you don't know how close the screw got to the inside liner. A misplaced pebble could do the final damage, or it could be thin enough that the tire will have a slow leak from that spot. It's pretty easy to plug a tire if you have the tools for it, and if you do it right, you know it'll work.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
This reminds me of when i picked up a nail, so i removed the nail and replaced it with a screw covered in super glue, And it made me about 3k miles until the tyres are dead, no way am i paying for new rubber before i need it lol problem solved

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
The tire is old. It looks hard/dry in the picture. Get a brand new Pilot Power 3 and go for some fun canyon riding and scrub off the rest of those chicken strips.

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
The tire is old. It looks hard/dry in the picture. Get a brand new Pilot Power 3 and go for some fun canyon riding and scrub off the rest of those chicken strips.

I see a lot of folks saying it could be patched, but I think new tires will be best, simply because of the age of the tires, and I would guess they have atleast 5k, but probably closer to 10k on them. Can you tell I dont lean too hard :spank:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Neil

IMHO, if no air comes out, I'd keep a close eye on it, (spray window cleaner on to check for bubbles)/air pressure and NOT puncture the tire and ride it as is.. That nail/screw is in the meat of the tire, not the water grooves(where the rubber is thinner)..

I found approx 95% of the time, it goes thru, and almost always the back tire as noted above, (the front kicks up the crap into the rear tire).

Since 1977, I've NEVER gotten a flat on the front tire (a little over 200,000 street miles)

I've used that plug/patch before (on an almost new tire) on my old FJR, no issues.

Now when I picked up that key in the rear tire of my FZ (with 1,000 miles on it) by the time I got home , about a mile away, the hole was literally 1" (25mm) across (the hole was as large as the widest part of the key). That time, I replaced it, way too big a hole.

Of course, the safest recourse is a new tire. IMHO, depending on the age of the tire, where its damaged, how bad it is determines wether I repair it or just go new.

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got a screw in my tire recently. The sad part is, I didn't know I was riding on a flat tire for probably a couple days. I was wondering why it wouldn't roll very quickly and the turns felt weird... I have one of those bikemaster tire repair kits, which I'll try out tonight.

20130408_135045_zps3ab94c23.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got a screw in my tire recently. The sad part is, I didn't know I was riding on a flat tire for probably a couple days. I was wondering why it wouldn't roll very quickly and the turns felt weird... I have one of those bikemaster tire repair kits, which I'll try out tonight.

20130408_135045_zps3ab94c23.jpg

For the bike, while out on the road(tucked next to my tool kit), emergency repairs, "Dyna plugs" are very simple to use and VERY effective:

Dynaplug® Tubeless Tire Repair Tools and Accessories :thumbup:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I already have the repair kit with those rubber 'strings', so I'll give it a try tonight. How many miles have you put on a tire after you repaired it?

Actually, we've used the exact same strings you have on my friends rear tire on his 07 FJR.

He ordered a new tire and we pulled the old one off for the tire change. For S&G's, I plugged it with the same kit (sounds like the same). It worked very well, (a small, single hole like yours), Sealed it right up and cut off the excess. He rode it with that tire until he sold it, no issues with it either..

The Dyna plug is a little easier to use as the tip is pointy and you don't have to open the hole any further..