Scratched Arai Vector faceshield - need help

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
Can someone please recommend any kind of scratch removal kit or tool that would repair a scratch on my helmet face shield? I really don't want to spend $50 for a new shield again. I have clear and dark smoke. Clear is scratched in the middle as by accident my helmet dropped from my handle bar on to the ground and boy let me tell you how pissed I was. First time that has ever happened ever since I started riding. But accidents are bound to happen.
Can it be repaired or I need to spend money again.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
Can someone please recommend any kind of scratch removal kit or tool that would repair a scratch on my helmet face shield? I really don't want to spend $50 for a new shield again. I have clear and dark smoke. Clear is scratched in the middle as by accident my helmet dropped from my handle bar on to the ground and boy let me tell you how pissed I was. First time that has ever happened ever since I started riding. But accidents are bound to happen.
Can it be repaired or I need to spend money again.

I tried few magic scratch removers on my Arai shield, but nothing really helped. I found out that when you use products like that it makes it little more invisible, but the effect doesn't last long. They come back within couple of days. Sorry, time for a new one, but if you ever find something that actually works and doesn't rub off in few days, I sure would like to know about it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Generally I've found that all my shields have a coating and when I try to polish/compound the scratch out it does what the last poster say's. It's gets worse...

Cliff

Fzguitarnut

Reaction score
Visit site
If the scratch(es) are light enough you can use a propane torch to blend the plastic back. You'll want to get the torch flame to a nice blue cone, no yellow flames. Start heating the plastic with the tip of the flame about an inch from the plastic, move torward it but do not touch the flame to the plastic itself. If you do it right you will visably see the plastic soften and slush back in to fill the void. Don't heat the plastic for too long or it will bubble, back away after a few seconds and let it cool before trying again. If the plastic bubbles the shield is a loss.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the scratch(es) are light enough you can use a propane torch to blend the plastic back. You'll want to get the torch flame to a nice blue cone, no yellow flames. Start heating the plastic with the tip of the flame about an inch from the plastic, move torward it but do not touch the flame to the plastic itself. If you do it right you will visably see the plastic soften and slush back in to fill the void. Don't heat the plastic for too long or it will bubble, back away after a few seconds and let it cool before trying again. If the plastic bubbles the shield is a loss.

Okay. Depends on what plastic and what coating the plastic may have. I've had some good experience with flaming the edge of acrylics but I would think it will create a distortion at the surface. In addition, I'm betting the shield is not just one type of plastic but a coating on a base plastic/acrylic. I got great results using Hydrogen gas and Oxygen combination when flaming. You may be able to research what material is used on your face shield from the manufacturer. I feel for you cuz I just bought an expensive mirrored shield and it's got it's first little nick from a stone.

Cliff

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not so sure about torching my faceshield like this. First off I don't have a torch and no way no how I would attempt this at all. It’s a good advice, but this leaves me now with one choice. Spend money for a new shield...Bummer...:(

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
At least it didn't land any other way and smash the protective areas then you'd need a new helmet! $50 is a pain in the neck, but better than a new helmet.
Can either tough it out or buy a new one if its not safe to look through.

david223

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not so sure about torching my faceshield like this. First off I don't have a torch and no way no how I would attempt this at all. It’s a good advice, but this leaves me now with one choice. Spend money for a new shield...Bummer...:(

If you're going to buy a new one anyway, why not try the torch thing on the old one, once you have the new one? You're already replacing in so you have nothing to lose, and who knows, you may get lucky and save the old one! I doubt it, but it's worth a shot. You can buy a cheap propane torch at any hardware store.

At worst, you can post a pic of your melted faceshield and we can have a laugh...

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site

I would recommend taking the helmet off before attempting this procedure.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Try polishing your visor with Pledge (the furniture polish....yellow can, not white). It's great for making scratches disappear. I'd try that before toothpaste, which is a mild abrasive, which may cause the plastic to "fog".

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a $15 DVD resurface kit that I used to get rid of small scratches on the cell phone screen. It works pretty well for shallow scratches, and it makes the deeper ones harder to notice. Even the scratch is still there, it gives a more “liquid” look to it and is much harder to notice.
I feel your pain – I have no problem to spend $50, but not on an overpriced piece of plastic..!