Scorpion Exo: 700 Vs. 1000??

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently got a "members only " (riiight) offer on a bunch of helmets... Two helmets i've been looking at that have now fallen into my price range are the Exo 1000 and 700... Can't decide.

Anyone owned one, both? What did you like/not like/prefer or what would you recommend instead for a helmet that isn't 300+??

Thanks a bunch ahead of time!

dysfoundation

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 700
Its a good helmet with a wide view, but its a little bulk in the back. Weird thing is though its as light as my afx helmet. It has a very so.please visor removal and irk if it comes stock but I think it has a anti fog screen. I say that because mine NEVER fogs even when I try to make it fog up

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never had a 1000, only tried one on at a local dealer. Bit too bulky for me. I am currently on my 2nd 700 though. First one saved my noggin in a nasty head sliding crash. Great, comfy helmets.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
EXO1000 went on closeout for $144 in the spring time so i had to get one for my female passenger, its really cool, double visors, air fit, pretty light, easy shield swap, cool style. but i like it better than my bell vortex for sure...

a FZ buddy has a exo750 (includes the sunglasses style visor) and it has a lot of the same features, only difference at a quick glance is the 1000 has an eyebrow vent...

Last edited:

bobvilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 1000 n my gf has the 700 ...
There is a little bit of a difference between the two.
  • The 1000 has a couple extra vents to open/close
  • The shields are exactly the same (nice anti fog/scratch, good field of view)
  • My 1000 has the flip down sunglasses(very nice)
  • My 1000 has the little thumb pump to tighten the helmet for a custom fit.... i never use it though... every time you use the thumb pump, you have to let the air out by pushing a release button before taking the helmet off....unless you like the feeling of your ears trying to stay in the helmet

I got an extremely good deal on the 1000 or I would have just got the 700... i would miss the shades though

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 1000 and my wife has the 700. The 1000 is a fairly heavy helmet but I really like it. It has a pop down sun visor on the inside that the 700 does not. The 700 is also a nice helmet, lighter, well vented pretty stylish. My wife doesn't have any complaints. I think either would be a good choice, it just depends what you are interested in, the sun visor made the choice easy for me.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what was left of my first 700. Head and shoulder hit the ground first doing about 50-55mph. Ripped the faceshield off and the front vents.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hankhill11

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a grey and black 700 that i got for 120 shipped.. the only complaint i have is the chin strap seems to be slightly to far back for my taste. other than that, the vents keep air flowing pretty decently.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Timely thread, my 4-year old 1000 is about due for a replacement. I love the flip-down shade, wouldn't want to give that up. Unfortunately removing the liner for washing has resulted in breaking the internal snaps for me, twice! I'm generally very careful about taking things apart and feel this is a poor design, so will be checking out other brands if Exo hasn't changed the snaps. :(

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the EXO1000 and it's my backup helmet. It's not terribly heavy, although it's heavier than my Shoei RF-1100.

My complaints were that my visor would fog no matter what I did. Although it sounds like I got one in a bad batch. Scorpion wouldn't change my visors for me for what it's worth.

My second is that the EPS on the forehead started to dig in once the padding compressed. I took the edge of a hammer and tapped it very gently into place.

Airflow was basically non-exsistant. I couldn't tell if the vents were open or closed if it wasn't for them being so loud when open.

Finally, the visors aren't as easy to change as they make it out to be. I wound up just running the clear visor and using the sunshade if I needed it.

But for the most part, it's a decent helmet. I'm mostly just picky because I ride every day.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I have both the 1000 and the 700, and my ex girlfriend had the 400. I bought the 1000 back before it was on closeout :( paid way too much for it.

Couple things I like about the 1000
-Solid
-Cheek pump actually works
-Looks good, really like my matte apollo
-Cheap (even when it wasnt on closeout)

Couple things I dont like
-The "pilot" flip down shield is worthless. Lots of peripheral optical distortion
-HEAVY
-The bottom trim is beginning to peel. Not a safety issue but really annoying
-Doesnt vent well
-On the FZ the chin vent causes a really bad crackling noise when open. I did not have this problem with 3 other bikes.
-BIG SHELL SIZE. I wear a medium and the shell size looks like a large.

Overall, I would not buy an exo1000 again. Im happy with it for the time being, but wish I would have spent the extra money for a nice Shoei. Even if I had paid less I still would rather have something else.

On the other hand, I would buy a 700 again. It still has a quality feel like the 1000, but is lighter and has a more proportional shell size. It also doesnt have the gimmicky features of the 1000, which probably contributes to its lighter weight. However, it doesnt vent very well like the 1000, and the trim is peeling around the bottom. I got my 700 on closeout a couple years ago for $150 and I think it was a pretty good deal. I gave this helmet to my brother and he really likes it too.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 1000 and my wife has the 700. The 1000 is a fairly heavy helmet but I really like it. It has a pop down sun visor on the inside that the 700 does not. The 700 is also a nice helmet, lighter, well vented pretty stylish. My wife doesn't have any complaints. I think either would be a good choice, it just depends what you are interested in, the sun visor made the choice easy for me.

Yeah my Vega has the inner sun visor and i don't know if i can buy another helmet without one now lol... The deal i'm looking at they have the 700 and 1000 priced about the same, so it looks like an ideal time to upgrade, especially since my Vega's visor doesn't close correctly ever since i sheared a couple of the bolts off that hold the actual mechanism in place :spank:

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually have an exo 400 - tried the 700, couldn't find anything more special about it to justify spending 200 instead of 140 for the 400. its a great helmet so far - comfortable wide range of view breathes really well, the only thing i wanted was the build in shades but that wasn't worth doubling the price for me.

I was going to same exactly the same about my 400 great helmet I actually got mine on clearance for $80 It was my first moto helmet and still serves me well

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Airflow was basically non-exsistant. I couldn't tell if the vents were open or closed if it wasn't for them being so loud when open.

Finally, the visors aren't as easy to change as they make it out to be. I wound up just running the clear visor and using the sunshade if I needed it.

I have 3 exo 700s (2 are mine and 1 is my wifes). The above statements, even though they're about the 1000, are spot on for my 700 experience. Shields are hard and finicky to change on all three. Ventilation is definitely poor. Can't feel any air flow with all the vents open even at hwy speeds.

On an interesting note.. 700 fits me perfectly whereas 1000 would not fit me at ALL.

The good things about 700: reasonable weight, DOT and SNELL approved. Real world crash-tested by many with very good outcome. Finally.. it's cheap and comfortable.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned a exo-400 and this is my 2nd exo-700 scorpion. Honestly aside from cooler graphics in the 700 I cannot tell the difference of the 2. I veered away from the 1000 due to some of the negatives described in this thread.

I would like some more ventiing sure but without having any other brand to compare it to I really don't know what good venting feels like.

The 700 and 400 for that matter are both a very good fit for my head shape which is way more important to me than any other single attribute. Scorpion puts out a decent affordable lid and the Dot/Snell markings make you feel smart for choosing it at a low price point. I may always own a scorpion if they continue to fit this well. But if I ever go for a premium helmet, it's going to be a Schoei

toasterboy85

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the EXO 1000, nice lid, however I have a fairly round head and the XL is still a little tight on the ears, besides that I love the helmet!

Last edited: