Scorpion Exhaust Question

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
The angle of the picture makes it look much more than it is, its only a very slight angle, the first picture of the lay down you can see it better, I like the loudness of them with the baffles out, just I feel it loses a bit of the tone which I prefer with them in.

Obviously this is for the Rounds though, I've never heard the Ovals in real life, hopefully there will be a meet over here sometime :p

Audio/Video is from a Canon 60D, I was worried about the wind but it seems fine. The video with the baffles in might be a tad off, though. I feel its a bit deeper, I guess the difference from the stock exhaust says alot, though :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Obviously this is for the Rounds though, I've never heard the Ovals in real life, hopefully there will be a meet over here sometime :p

Audio/Video is from a Canon 60D, I was worried about the wind but it seems fine. The video with the baffles in might be a tad off, though. I feel its a bit deeper, I guess the difference from the stock exhaust says alot, though :)

The "open pipes" sound the same as my "open" OVAL Scorps in your clip.

I have to doubt you'll decipher any difference between the ovals and rounds soundwise..

I love mine open and aren't too loud for me, and that's with me wearing a snug fitting, Shoei, 3/4 helmet / face shield. I can still hear my helmet mounted FM radio (with speakers set in the ear cut outs) up to about 50MPH..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have an aftermarket air filter?

Generally, with the addition and more air flow with an after market air filter, its NOT un-common to get some slight decel, backfiring.

I have the stock, OEM filter in mine (stone stock short of iridiums) and I have
absolutly NO backfiring at all, at any RPM decel... I have NOT made any CO changes either(all factory levels).

His being an 06 it won't behave the same as yours with 02 sensor adapting to the changes. The S2's will re-learn the S1s will not.

I might have a look at them, it's usually the first thing I do when I buy a bike, but since it was so expensive and from a dealer, I didn't think to check it (plus I was poor!)

Anyhow, here is the video... Better than most I've seen dotted around YouTube.

Bike is a tad dirty thanks to English weather, 1 ride after I clean it, its back to terribly dirty again... Now we are in the minus degrees and snow+ice so I'm off the road for a week or so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQUlYHrDQE

As for the baffles, I assume theyre quite a bit different. Here are the Round's baffles.

ifOyEND.jpg

xqOJdgI.jpg

That looks painful.... Like pulling teeth! :eek::eek:

FWIW: Two Bro isn't like that at all.
W/out baff. Core is SS as is the inner packing material.
attachment.php

The P1X tip. I think the newer tips have a trumpet shape inlet. Likely flow a tad better than hitting that reverb device.....
attachment.php

With P1X installed...
attachment.php

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting, would have bought a two bros if it wasn't soooo expensive over here. Almost double the price!

Just started my bike up and realised there was a bit of petrol (I think) spraying from the exhaust clip that holds the y pipe onto the original pipes on the bike. I assume it's petrol, tried tightening the clamp on a few times in different ways and it's still doing it. I used exhaust paste etc so can't see any real reason for it doing it. I've tightened the clamp up really tight so it's not that. Can't find much on the net about it either. Don't want to have to take it all off and back on again just for that, but if it is petrol, I can see it becoming a problem on a longer ride!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You said the temps were dropping there yes? Its just condensation taking the easy way out.

Of course exhaust leaks lead to backfire/popping so its best if its corrected but its not hurting anything. It could matter if going in for a tune.

To my knowledge, the S1s run straight off the ecu map. No o2, nothing to learn/relearn.

zpdrumer

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Wow my scorpions must be really old because they look very different from yours and the ones in the links. Then again..... Mine aren't exactly street legal
2f4b3339233326f29a81728cb757d75a.jpg
f9d27ca522f46a0968622b5eefa06c86.jpg

I love the sound!!! No baffles (hard to find in the US) really gets cars attention.

Ohhh, and one more thing. I've noticed it backfires significantly less in a warm engine. For whatever that's worth

Enjoy the pipes

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw a pair of this style of scorpions on eBay but it was collection only from the other side of the UK, could've grabbed myself a bargain!!! Wouldnt have minded a pair.

Yeah the temps here are awfully cold right now, it's just how it was spraying that worried me, it was making the rest of the pipe a tad wet which I'm not sure petrol would do as I'd imagine it'd evaporate much faster. I do plan on getting it dyno'd though to be sure everything is running good, gonna give everything a good clean today and hope for the best!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow my scorpions must be really old because they look very different from yours and the ones in the links.
I love the sound!!! No baffles (hard to find in the US)
Those are the early original pipes (which I actually asked for but couldn't get). The DB killers, I had to order from overseas separatly. As you stated, very difficult to find in the US.

I saw a pair of this style of scorpions on eBay but it was collection only from the other side of the UK, could've grabbed myself a bargain!!! Wouldnt have minded a pair.

Yeah the temps here are awfully cold right now, it's just how it was spraying that worried me, it was making the rest of the pipe a tad wet which I'm not sure petrol would do as I'd imagine it'd evaporate much faster. I do plan on getting it dyno'd though to be sure everything is running good, gonna give everything a good clean today and hope for the best!

Agreed with FinalImpact, its likly just condensation. There was a BUNCH on that video clip. And if it was fuel, with that much, visable, that far down the line, I don't think it would run it'd be SO RICH.

BTW, Excessive fuel richness out the exhaust will show as black
smoke.
Oil burning, white or bluishing, more so on a hard decel.
Weather conditions, (hot exhaust on a cold day), white smoke-
Just re-check again once the sun comes out / warms up. (this is
what apeared in the video)..

And as an FYI, the Scorps are the only pipes NOT requiring re-packing and come with a limited lifetime warranty to the original owner..

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Those are the early original pipes (which I actually asked for but couldn't get). The DB killers, I had to order from overseas separatly. As you stated, very difficult to find in the US.

Agreed with FinalImpact, its likly just condensation. There was a BUNCH on that video clip. And if it was fuel, with that much, visable, that far down the line, I don't think it would run it'd be SO RICH.

smoke.

And as an FYI, the Scorps are the only pipes NOT requiring re-packing and come with a limited lifetime warranty to the original owner..
I've had my Scorpions for 7 years now and have done 25k with them. They have got louder over time so I imagine that the packing or whatever gets degraded. I started off with decat pipe, DB-killers in and airbox mod. Over the years as they got louder I've put the stock cat pipe back on and put my airbox back to stock. Still damn loud! Only really taken the DB-killers out to compare the sound when videoing. Advice: don't over-torque the clamps. They will snap, especially as they got older! I've had to buy replacements for mine. Use gun-gum or similar when filling and allow to dry before riding. I actually used a blow-torch on mine to speed up the curing process. If there are still small gaps, they will get filled with carbon from the exhaust after a few weeks.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed with FinalImpact, its likely just condensation. There was a BUNCH on that video clip. And if it was fuel, with that much, visable, that far down the line, I don't think it would run it'd be SO RICH.

smoke.

True! ^^

When the temps are low here (30 - 40°F), mine throws lots of moisture out. It takes at least 7 minutes for the pipe to reach full temperature and the engine/exhaust to be warm enough that moisture in the air is consumed during combustion and expelled as hot dry air - thus not making a steam cloud.
Off hand I'd say you're looking more than you were before as the OEM would do the same in the same conditions. Well other than the packing can hold some moisture. OEM is just chambers with no packing.

FWIW: Not all packing materials are equal. Anything using fiberglass WILL deteriorate! Even tho mine are packed with SS wool, they will also degrade and get louder. Its just going to take longer.

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
Props to this thread Jayke,

Been searching for an answer to the orientation question for days, even asked Scorpion direct...awaiting a response. Your video confirming round pipe installation has helped me decide.

EDIT: Scorpion confirmed

Just ordered round in titanium with carbon caps for FZ6 number 3! :D

Last edited: