Scared how much this will cost me....

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally have some $$$$ to get the bike back on the road.

All at once Trinity needs:
Major 40K service
New front brakes at least :spank:
Possibly a new clutch
Getting the braided lines put on (only had them for a year!)

Im getting bloody scared at what the bill will be next tuesday. Last service @ 30K cost just on $200.

Anyone give me a hint at what their major service set them back?????

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mikes last major on the XJR cost @ $500 - service and shims if I remember correctly.
Brake pads - he does himself.
I got quoted @ $200 by the local Yamaha Stealership to install braided lines on my FZ :eek:
Clutch? absolutely no idea.

Stu, can they give you any quote before hand?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Only thing that might actually be a major setback is a clutch. If you do it yourself it shouldn't break the bank but if you pay shop rates to do it its going to be major $$ i think (coming from a dirtbike background).

What's got you thinking your clutch is going? 40k seems way to soon for a clutch to be going?

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very very crappy commuting traffic in Brisbane for 3 years has killed the clutch I think.

Note to self, lane split & save the clutch

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mikes last major on the XJR cost @ $500 - service and shims if I remember correctly.
Brake pads - he does himself.
I got quoted @ $200 by the local Yamaha Stealership to install braided lines on my FZ :eek:
Clutch? absolutely no idea.

Stu, can they give you any quote before hand?

My Yami dealership (where I bought her) have been quite reasonable, the Zuk dealership where we got Strommy are rip off bastards!

Besides, I have to do these things before selling the FZ. Its physically too small for me and I just don't seem to want to ride it as much as I love looking at it. Also, someone wants a bike that can go through the desert.......................

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Doing the brake pads and lines are perfect to do at the same time, you just bleed them out, swap over the lines, replace the pads, and then make sure you fill them again and get any air bubbles out of the lines.

If your just selling the bike, why spend all the money? Its unlikely you'll make back the money you spend, and you would probably be better of making sure its in reasonable condition and a higher starting price, which you'll reduce for whoever buys it because it needs a few things done.

A $200 service at 30k seems bloody reasonable :p

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know much about bikes since this is my first bike but, I'm sure its a lot less than a car.

Actually, it's a quite bit more. I'm dealing with both this year. My car's first, "major" is coming up as well and I'm looking at about $300-$500. I presume you're talking KM's so that would be 90,000.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Very very crappy commuting traffic in Brisbane for 3 years has killed the clutch I think.

Note to self, lane split & save the clutch

Crappy traffic won't burn up a clutch... crappy riding will, though:spank:

No offence, but maybe it is the way you ride it that killed the clutch?... I have put hundred's of thousands of kms on my bikes and trucks all standard... Never had a clutch issue ever.. Heck, my Ford Ranger has 200,000+ km on it and I overload it couple of times a week for my job... with no clutch problems whatsoever.... Now, my sister burned up 3 clutches in her old Vega many years back until we found out she wasn't using the clutch properly... That was just her, though...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont worry bout the 40000K 'super' service mate its waste of money IMO , i've never heard of anybody needing the valves done & my spanner man even talked me out of it :thumbup: Give it a service yourself & save a bundle ;)

Brakes & lines you can do yourself or if you want i'll come down & give you a hand :thumbup: Simple half hour operation...

Clutch , well I reckon I could have a look & get that problem whatever it may be sorted as well :D

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
The question we are failing to ask is why do we think the clutch is gone!? Easiest test is to get the bike going around 30mph, put it all the way into 6th gear, and give the throttle a good rip while keeping an eye on the tach. At this speed in 6th gear, the bike shouldn't be able to accelerate very quickly, so the tach shouldn't move too quickly. If the tach accelerates quicker than the bike does, then you need a new clutch. Otherwise, keep on riding!:thumbup:

I agree with the other's here, I wouldn't pay the shop to do brakes and lines. Easy enough to do yourself and save a TON of money.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Its physically too small for me and I just don't seem to want to ride it as much as I love looking at it.

Too small for you? How big are you dude!? I've seen some pretty big dudes on this bike without any issues, both in height and weight.

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
My recent 40k Service cost me near $800 including a K&N filter. I was contemplating doing it myself or getting wolfman to help me but the idea of servicing the shocks etc just sounded like a pain.

Did not need brakes or clutch done tho and they gave me a huge discount too.

As everyone else has said the valves did not need touching on mine either. They were checked and found to be fine.

Best advice if your not wanting to do the work yourself is to phone around for quotes. I saved at least $200 by doing so.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont worry bout the 40000K 'super' service mate its waste of money IMO , i've never heard of anybody needing the valves done & my spanner man even talked me out of it :thumbup: Give it a service yourself & save a bundle ;)

Brakes & lines you can do yourself or if you want i'll come down & give you a hand :thumbup: Simple half hour operation...

Clutch , well I reckon I could have a look & get that problem whatever it may be sorted as well :D

Im not that mechanically gifted.

I been playing with bicycles my whole life & there are even things on those I leave to the bike shop to sort out. Especially now if you seen my mountainbike!

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
40000 kms = 24855 miles

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I meant was that the 60K (miles) I have on the car would equate to about 90K on the bike - several more service intervals - or looking at it the other way, a much wider service interval for the car.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im not that mechanically gifted.

I been playing with bicycles my whole life & there are even things on those I leave to the bike shop to sort out. Especially now if you seen my mountainbike!

Im only a phone call away & a half hour ride mate , its not hard & it'll save you a bundle :thumbup:

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
I know that most dealerships I've gone to can at least quote me on the price of labor and estimate the price of parts based on what they think needs to be fixed. They have a big book that tells them how long it should take to fix everything. I had valves checked and the guy quoted me 2 1/2 hours. I told him I'd strip down the bike myself to just the engine and he knocked off 1 hr and 1/2 labor so saved a lil over 150.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Clutch fried. Only some parts need replacing thankfully.

The issue, not related to how I ride or the crappy traffic I been riding it in for 3.5 years. It is over adjustment :spank:

I've spun the little adjuster out once too often, took all the freeplay out of the clutch :spank::spank::spank:

My head hangs in shame :(