Scare today!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Been a while since I posted here, but had a scare today and thought I would share my experience with others. I pulled the bike out of storage last week and gave it a quick once over, by checking and filling tire pressure, oil, lights and lubing everything. I proceded to take it on a spirited ride for a couple hours, and it felt and ran great.

Fast forward to today! I went out to take a ride and decided to check the tire pressure. I normally wouldn't check it a couple days after I just did, but decided to anyway(I know, check it every ride). While I was removing the valve cap the damn stem nearly twisted off in my hand, instantly deflating the rear tire. Two days ago I was traveling over 100 MPH on this tire, and that scared the crap out of me!

It's my fault because I'm on my original stems, and there is no excuse for that.

2re5kwp.jpg

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes:eek::eek::eek:
Damn glad nothing happened while you were riding! Looks like its time for some 90deg stems:thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Super scary. Definitely time to invest in some 90 degree metal stems. My Triumph came with them stock, and now I couldn't imagine not having them. A little extra sense of security.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to here from you Ant! Glad it worked out good!

I changed over to the 90 degrees a while back. You won't be sorry if you do. :)

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you guys post a link or picture on the stems you are talking about, please? I'm going to be getting new tires soon and would like something easier than sticking my xxl hands around the rotors to check pressures

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really pleased you found out in time Ant, it could have been a different story if you hadn't have checked :eek:

Pleased to see you back Ant :thumbup:, it's been a while.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn lucky. It seems your number wasn't up yet (1xx) speed. I've had happen in two different cages. First tire service of any kind get some bolt on hardware. Much better.
Glad all is well!