Saw It Coming

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Went to a friend's house this evening, he has a steep driveway so I decided to park on the less-steep street. As I was U-turning to leave, I dropped it on its right side. After I calmed myself I was able to lift it back up and get it to the side of the street so I could start it again. It was too dark to see the damage then, but it started up and I believe runs fine.

I got it in the parking garage at home where I was able to see the damage. Right turn signal was dislodged, right headlight is scuffed pretty bad and the fairing, brake lever and assorted engine bits have smaller scuffs. As for myself, somehow my left leg ended up with a small gash. Not sure how I acquired this but I deserve it.

Yes, frame sliders could have saved me some damage here. I failed to pull the trigger on that purchase a number of times and now I pay the price. I'll have a shop put the light back on and perhaps see how much a new headlight cover will cost. The scuffing on the fairing is not so troublesome. The fork seems fine, it handled normally on the way home. Anything else I should be looking out for?

The ****ty part is that I totally foresaw this. I spent like 3 minutes casing the situation to find the best situation to park. I could have just driven straight down to the end of the street where it was less steep but instead I decided to be an idiot. Oh well.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Quite a few people have gone the "street-fighter" path. See if anyone's got a headlight cover here after removing their fairing.

Sucks that you dropped it, but only reasonably minor stuff wrong with your beast, and you've had your "incident", so hopefully the rest of the bike's life will be smooth-sailing.

:rockon:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean about u-turning on a steep grade. It can quickly get dicey and and become a balance issue. I ALMOST dropped doing the same thing. It was a "Whew, that was close one!" scare. There's no room for error (or stalling). Thanks for the story.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It probably didn't bend, but the main fairing support (that bolts to the steering head area) tends to bend up on certain crashs.

Just eye ball it while on the centerstand looking straight ahead. If its bent you'll notice the fairing crooked, seems between panels not fitting right, etc,, It won't stop the bike from running but.....

I'd look at the front brake lever and make sure the throttle behaves as usual...

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Don't take it to the shop just yet.... the turn signals have a rubber section in the center to keep them from breaking. You can take it apart, and 'reset' the pieces.

Unless, of course you really want to buy LED turn signals....

Gravity is there, all the time. Bikes fall down. I'm glad for you that the damage to you and the bike is so minimal; may not seem like it right at the moment, but you came out way ahead of the curve.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It happens. Sucks, but, now that the first scratch is over, you can ride her like you stole her with less worry over how pristine it looks.

Thank God it is just a drop while still and not an off while at-speed. It can be fixed. Put a WTB ad here because someone might have the headlamp assembly already off and ready to go because they went naked.

RJ212 is right about the signal. It should be fairly simple to put it back in the hole and push the plug back in to lock it. These are designed that way as break-away parts that can survive tipovers. :D

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that kpaul. But the first drop is always the worst one...
As said FZ1inNH: "It happens. Sucks, but, now that the first scratch is over, you can ride her like you stole her with less worry over how pristine it looks."

I can understand what you felt right on the moment: it happened to me about 2 weeks ago, but "I didn't see it coming". The first drop with my 1.5 y.o. FZ6... The bike drop from my hands by the right hand side while I didn't even fall down myself :confused:
After a quick lunch, I left my place in a parking lot near free of vehicles, very slowly in 1st gear. But unfortunately, the driver of a pick-up truck didn't check her way, leaving her place just in front of my path, very slowly too. I beeped a lot and tried to brake while having a quick turn to avoid the truck, but maybe I was too strong on the front brake and on the bar, and though I was very near to avoid the car, I lost the control at, maybe, 2 or 3 km/h... And the bike dropped... All this very, very slowly... I didn't even kick the car with my bike... Very strange: the driver didn't notice what it was happening! I had to knock her car with my right fist to stop her!..

Some scratches here and there, and a brake pedal a bit bent... The rear RHS soft panier helped to cushion the drop...

So, don't worry so much, kpaul, it MUST happen at least one time... the worst one!
Just check your bike very well, and then just go on enjoying your ride!
;)

Cheers,
Gobs

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks to hear, kpaul. I've dropped my bike a couple of times - not fun.

Not to add insult to injury, but there is unfortunately no such thing as a headlight cover. It's all one unit, and it's rather pricey. I just had mine replaced, and it cost the guy who damaged my bike $200 for the assembly and about $75 for installation. Is it gouged or scuffed? You might be able to polish the lens with a plastic polish to get it to the point where you could live with it. Do some searching to see what others have used to polish their headlight lenses and windscreens. Don't just jump into it though! Using the wrong product/polishing method could do more damage.

About your engine parts, I've used a sharpie to cover minor scuffs with good luck. If you wanted to get fancy you could get some flat black model enamel, but I wouldn't replace the parts unless they're cracked - you could drop it again and scuff the new ones, even with frame sliders on.

Good luck!

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
The more anger towards the past you carry in your heart, the less capable you are of loving in the present.

Keep the paint up, and the rubber down!

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
tough break. I'm not one to talk, but practice some u turns and you'll ace that technique in a short enough time. I almost dumped my bike like you pulling out of a steep alley. The full tank of gas didnt help me, but made it through by putting a foot down luckily. Point being, practice the small stuff when you have time. I hear of many bikes going down at stop lights and during low speed maneuvers. No one should ever need frame sliders.