Sad Day For Brother Speed

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a bad 24 motorcycle accident south of Portland Oregon this past week. The brother speed motorcycle gang was coming north to Portland for a club reunion on I-5. They were traveling at 70 in formation like the gangs do. The traffic in front of them stopped and there was a big chain reaction. All 24 went down with 2 fatalities. I always ride with my friends stagered and not in formation for this very reason. It's too bad this could have been preventable. Please read the attached article. My heart goes out to all the bikers families.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man, that's terrible.

I get uncomfortable when I have a rider riding in what I consider to be the "wrong" position in relation to me. So much so, that I'll change lanes and let them pass. I have no idea if that's what transpired here, but I've seen enough groups riding to assume that they were riding side-by-side rather than staggered.

On a side/lighter note: I recently visited my brother up in Hood River, Oregon. On the drive back home I actually passed the original poster (mxgolf) on I-5 heading south -- and you were driving the little blue truck with the bike in the back, just like in your avatar. But I just figured it'd be weird if I waved at you, since I was in a car, too.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
There was a bad 24 motorcycle accident south of Portland Oregon this past week. The brother speed motorcycle gang was coming north to Portland for a club reunion on I-5. They were traveling at 70 in formation like the gangs do. The traffic in front of them stopped and there was a big chain reaction. All 24 went down with 2 fatalities. I always ride with my friends stagered and not in formation for this very reason. It's too bad this could have been preventable. Please read the attached article. My heart goes out to all the bikers families.

I've been following this incident on the news channels..... there were two folk life flighted; but no fatalities as of yesterday afternoon. Maybe that's changed...... The 2 by 2 thing is the major part of what trapped them when the crunch came; that and following too closely behind an SUV. The whole group accordioned, a couple of bikes hit cars in the lane adjacent, trying to avoid the pile up. Pride goeth before a fall..... these folks got arrogant, and complacent.

8 more were taken to local hospitals with broken bones and the like.

http://www.katu.com/news/59798742.html?video=pop&t=a

http://www.kptv.com/traffic/20994591/detail.html

http://www.katu.com/news/59789107.html?video=pop&t=a

The Wilsonville area is just South of the I-205 split. That's the diversion around Portland's downtown that reconnects with I-5 in WA state. The off shoot comes first from the south, and the inflow occurs right after that. I-5 is 6 lanes, joined by 3 or 4 lanes from I -205. It's a known 'choke point'..... used to ride through there all the time, even on light traffic days, it's a bad place to be on a bike.

Just because there's 24 of you in the parade, doesn't mean anyone is going to notice.

Here's a link to video they have on their website showing their 'typical' formation, gear, etc....

http://www.brotherspeedmcoregon.com/content/brothers-speed-videos

48 hours later..... still no fatalities

http://wilsonvillespokesman.com/new...stories/more.crash.details.released/news.aspx

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very typical, saw their video, no helmets, no gear, and most importantly, zero safety margin. It was bound to happen. I really don't feel too sorry for them, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

They'll need to update the pics of their accident on their website.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, when a group rides like that they're, in effect, all tailgaters en masse. I haven't seen the formation that they ride in but, how else could 24 riders all go down like that?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a Lemmings adventure... one drops off the cliff and the rest simply follow.

Sad but 100% avoidable. I can see maybe a few in the front getting jambed up but you have to be pretty ignorant of group riding if you're the 26th biker that fails to stop.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sad that 2 guys died but what a bunch of no brainers and they will attend the funerals doing exactly the same thing.

Steve

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a Lemmings adventure... one drops off the cliff and the rest simply follow.

Sad but 100% avoidable. I can see maybe a few in the front getting jambed up but you have to be pretty ignorant of group riding if you're the 26th biker that fails to stop.

+1, you make a great point Eric.