Rusty Chain

Rando

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't see you mention whether it's a new bike or not. I know that at the end of my chain's life I started to notice a reddish residue on it that looked like rust, but wipes right off with a touch. Double check your tension to see if it's stretched. Adjust/replace as needed. Especially if it's not a brand new bike.

(By the way, I ride a Honda, not a FZ6).

Edit: Upon re-reading, I noticed you mentioned your 600 mile service, so probably doesn't apply to you...

Hills

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't see you mention whether it's a new bike or not. I know that at the end of my chain's life I started to notice a reddish residue on it that looked like rust, but wipes right off with a touch. Double check your tension to see if it's stretched. Adjust/replace as needed. Especially if it's not a brand new bike.

(By the way, I ride a Honda, not a FZ6).

Edit: Upon re-reading, I noticed you mentioned your 600 mile service, so probably doesn't apply to you...

Yeah it is a new one so the chain is almost new.

-----

Thanks again all for answering all I needed to know :thumbup:

yogi bear

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Hills not far away from you just the other side of the Pennines. I've also got a FZ6 S2 nearly 12 months old but never had the problem of the chain rusting. Did you park her up during the snow? If so did you leave the chain damp in a cold place? If so that could be the cause. You say "Fine rust" just give it a rub with an old toothbrush and paraffin and it should come straight off. I always used Wurth Chain Wax as consistently gets best reviews in MCN. Just changed today and fitted a Scottoiler to mine so will have to see how that goes. They seem to be one of those things that you either love or hate.

Hills

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Hills not far away from you just the other side of the Pennines. I've also got a FZ6 S2 nearly 12 months old but never had the problem of the chain rusting. Did you park her up during the snow? If so did you leave the chain damp in a cold place? If so that could be the cause. You say "Fine rust" just give it a rub with an old toothbrush and paraffin and it should come straight off. I always used Wurth Chain Wax as consistently gets best reviews in MCN. Just changed today and fitted a Scottoiler to mine so will have to see how that goes. They seem to be one of those things that you either love or hate.

Hi Yogi Bear :D

I've done some wet road riding and the garage the bike is stored in is a little damp which doesn't help. I'm in Castleford by the way. Not too far away from you.

I've spent 2 hours cleaning the chain today with a stiff toothbrush, paraffin and a selection of rags. The chain has indeed come up like new which I'm over the moon about. I re-loob'd with Mobil synthetic chain lube which decided it was going to throw it's self all over the back wheel etc on the first ride afterwards so I'll not be using that again.

Is Wurth Chain Wax readily available in bike shops or do you have to order it on-line?

Thanks again all for helping me get the chain back to almost as new condition.

Regards
Hills

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Yogi Bear :D

I've done some wet road riding and the garage the bike is stored in is a little damp which doesn't help. I'm in Castleford by the way. Not too far away from you.

I've spent 2 hours cleaning the chain today with a stiff toothbrush, paraffin and a selection of rags. The chain has indeed come up like new which I'm over the moon about. I re-loob'd with Mobil synthetic chain lube which decided it was going to throw it's self all over the back wheel etc on the first ride afterwards so I'll not be using that again.

Is Wurth Chain Wax readily available in bike shops or do you have to order it on-line?

Thanks again all for helping me get the chain back to almost as new condition.

Regards
Hills

You may already do this - if so, feel free to ignore me! Don't ride after lubing your chain, leave it overnight. I lube mine every friday night after work (unless I'm riding that evening) and then don't use the bike till the next day (Saturday) at the earliest. This gives the lube time to soak in and also any excess to drip off and/or harden. This has been written on most of the chain lubes I've bought.

yogi bear

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Hills,

Wurth Chain Wax is available from most bike shops. Other chain wax’s work just as well never tried oil myself.
Remember to do as Sanger A2 says, apply after a run when the chain is warm and leave overnight or at least a couple of hours to penetrate and set.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
but I didn't expect my chain to rust quite so fast! The sprocket is still rust free but the chain is covered in fine rust. It's not for want of lubing either.

I had the same problem with mine new in September, rusted bad in October despite lubing regular.

I was using some chain lube from Hein Geirick (can't remember brand) on both the GSR and FZ, the GSR was/is fine, FZ rusty chain in no time.

Switched to Shell Ultra chain lube (white) and touch wood no problems with rust since.

Last edited:

Hills

Reaction score
Visit site
You may already do this - if so, feel free to ignore me! Don't ride after lubing your chain, leave it overnight. I lube mine every friday night after work (unless I'm riding that evening) and then don't use the bike till the next day (Saturday) at the earliest. This gives the lube time to soak in and also any excess to drip off and/or harden. This has been written on most of the chain lubes I've bought.

Oops (he says red faced) I left it for about 2 hours then went for a 50 minute ride. I should have guessed but lesson learned!

Thanks also Sanger for the advice about taking the bike on a run to warm the chain before lubing. ;)

Hills

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Is that because you've paid more attention to the chain since first spotting the rust or do you think it's the Shell Ultra chain lube that's stopping it?

Regards
Hills

With the rust problem if I needed to wash bike (eg roads had been damp) then once washed and dried I would lube the chain but it still rusted.

Since I switched to Shell Ultra I am back to a normal lube regime.

In all my years of biking with various bike I have never seen rust on one of my chains (except one that had been shoved on a shelf for a few years) like the FZ chain rusts. As I say the GSR which is a few months older and ridden/stored in same conditions has never had a problem.