CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Borrowed this mod from the FZ1OA mod threads:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64517

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72352

In Short:

There is excessive flex in the rear sets: about 1.5 inches just wiggling it with my arms, let alone 200lbs standing on the peg. Also while shifting gears or braking the rearsets flex like crazy. Consequently, you get a very vague to zero road feedback through the pegs.

Not only that but, considering, if you ride this bike like a sportbike through the twisties and are shifting your weight from peg to peg, your body isn't very stably grounded if the pegs bouncing up and down 2 inches.

So, thanks to FZ1OA suggestion of adding washers. I did just that and it works to perfection. Rock solid rear sets.

The key to it is that the washers have to perfectly fit into the recess in the rear set and the hole of the washer has to fit around the steel pin or tube that pokes through the rubber bushing.

The Home Depot, crown bolt, little orange bag stainless washer work great for the rearset washer mod. Part number 32521.

Infact I optimized this mod even further.

Actually I tried this and just installing the Home Depot washers under the bolts didn't make much/any difference. The actual flex comes from the rubber bushing behind the rear set that rests on the nubbie in the frame. Instead of removing that rubber bushing I installed one of these HomeDepot washers on the nubbie. That really got rid of all the flex. And you don't really need to put washers under the front bolts. Just inverting the existing washers so that their rubber side is up solves the problem completely. It doesn't look bad though. So basically you can do away with just one washer on each side. I did this for both my FZ6 and FZ1. Infact the flex is more pronounced on the FZ6 than the FZ1. It is as much as 2 inches.

The washer hole diameter is 13 mm and outer diameter is 25 mm. However if used on the nubbie it will fit loose but works nonetheless.

So 1st try flipping the stock rubber washers, see if the flex is still there. If it is then add a washer behind.

This is essentially a $1 mod.

Last edited:

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I've got to try this! Could you please measure the diameter (in mm if you're able) of the washer and the hole of the washer? As I live in Norway the part number at Home Depot doesn't quite help me... =P Thanks!

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete, read the OP, thats one of the optimizations in addition to putting a washer between the rearset and the frame.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I've got to try this! Could you please measure the diameter (in mm if you're able) of the washer and the hole of the washer? As I live in Norway the part number at Home Depot doesn't quite help me... =P Thanks!

OP updated!

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't even need to buy washers, just flip the stock ones around.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/10334-oso2k-setback-plate-install.html#post126491

I have always thought the rearsets were too loose, but didn't know what to do about it. After reading this post, I flipped the stock grommets around before I even left work. Took 3 minutes to do and WOW, what a huge difference!!! The rearsets don't move at all; cornering and shifting feel a lot tighter.

I'm not going to worry about the Home Depot washers, flipping the stock ones around did the trick.

This is my second favorite mod, right behind the 15T front sprocket.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just flipped mine. I wanted to see how firm the rear sets were before I got washers and I really don't think I need them! Couldn't feel any flex at all. I do love a nice and free mod!:D

Layne5150

Reaction score
Visit site
This was the first thing I did to my bike. It didn't make sense for the foot pegs to wobble. I think i just used two fender washers. 3/8 x 1 1/2 and a 1/4 x 1 inch because 3/8 was to big of a hole. Git'er done..........
They just have to be wide enough to be larger than the space left that the rubber washers sat inside of.

Layne5150

Reaction score
Visit site
Take the rubber washer off and go to home depot, lowes, ace, coast to coast any hardware store will due. Fine a set of fender washers that are larger than the one you took off and your money baby.
You might just be able to put two or three washers on each side that are the exact same size as the rubber one for a more flush look.
Go home, install said washers and pour yourself a scotch. As long as it's not a blend of course. A single malt: Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glengary, any Glen will due.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
Flipped mine around this weekend. Working great! Much less flex than before. I'll try picking up a couple washers at some point, but just reversing them made a big difference.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'll try this out! For those who have had it for a while, any vibration problems? Does this translate too much buzz?