Rolling to stop & can't down shift

Inability to downshift to 2nd or 1st from upper gears when coming to a quick stop has happened to me three times. Twice on the highway in stop and go traffic, which is unnerving to start backing up traffic. It hasn't happened to me since I saw similar threads that recommended allowing the engine to engage slightly and then downshifting. So at least I know what to do when it does happen. Seems the key issues is downshifting to match road speed, which is just a good habit so you can get moving again if necessary.

This happenened to me also. I finally realized that the problem was my giant shoe (13) + an agressive seating position that preloaded the shifter. A quick shift rod adjustment, & the problem has been gone for over 8000 miles! Hope this helps! :thumbup:

I tried letting the clutch all the way out and then try to downshift again yesterday but it still wouldn't go into neutral or 1st while rolling to a stop. I noticed after my ride yesterday that the shifter didn't return all they way unless I gave it a little nudge. Perhaps it just needed some lube? I applied some white lithium grease to the shifter pivot points per the manual. Can't ride today to check the results of that out because crappy rainy weather.

Was doing a little more reading on the forum on here (and service manual) and noticed discussion about adjusting the shifter pedal (up or down). Is that done only for comfort or could that affect this problem?

I checked the alignment of the shift shaft and shift arm punch marks. They are dead-on.

Last edited:
Back