Roadrash sucks............Like really bad

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're okay! Road rash blows, but it's better than what could a been! I'm, too, surprised by the amount of rash on your upper body. You know how fast you were going at the time of you're off?

I don't remember, but with how I've been riding lately I know it definitely wasn't slow

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to hear of your down but glad that you're up again
heal quick

Project84

14,000 RPM really?!
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't see the pics on this PC but I would like to chime in and warn you, if no one has yet... road rash hurts, yes, absolutely... but the worst part is the itching that comes when it starts to dry out! :eek:

Do yourself a favor and keep lotion over the scabs as they heal or go the extra mile and keep gauze pads taped over them with PLENTY of antibiotic ointment on them. This is a real chore, as you'll need to pull them off daily to shower and replace them w/ fresh.

When I had road rash a few years ago from a get-off it was unbearable how itchy it got. I began literally scratching it until it would bleed again, and it would STILL itch but also hurt like hell!

Lotion, lotion, lotion!

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
Like [MENTION=26056]Project84[/MENTION] said. LOTION LOTION LOTION to keep the itching down. I would also recommend A+D Ointment for when the rashes are still open sores before scabbing.

With what COULD HAVE happened, you're a lucky man and I'm glad to hear you are doing relatively well in relation to how the bike and everything else looks.

On the 'bright' side it appears as though you answered the question many constantly look to answer (What to do to my bike next?).

Good luck healing and Stay safe out there.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your not worse off and you'll make a full recovery. It sure doesn't look pleasant.

For what little its worth: A couple years back I bit it long boarding. Was wearing a hoodie (so loose fit). What I found dreadful was the hoodie had Zero tears or holes in it while I on the other hand had RR like you (off at about 18 ~ 22 mph i'd guess).
My takeaway is loose clothes / loose gear is like throwing yourself to the gym floor naked at speed.
- Note to self - get riding pants taken in so they fit better!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I expected it to hold up a little better than it did, might have to contact Icon about it and express my concerns.

I have seen so many pictures of textile/mesh riding gear rip and offer no protection, i would never trust one!

For me it's leather and leather only...

Last edited:

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Like [MENTION=26056]Project84[/MENTION] said. LOTION LOTION LOTION to keep the itching down. I would also recommend A+D Ointment for when the rashes are still open sores before scabbing.

With what COULD HAVE happened, you're a lucky man and I'm glad to hear you are doing relatively well in relation to how the bike and everything else looks.

On the 'bright' side it appears as though you answered the question many constantly look to answer (What to do to my bike next?).

Good luck healing and Stay safe out there.

Yeah I've got a girl I'm trying to work things out with and she's pretty traumatized by the whole thing. I need to start taking how she feels into account when I'm making decisions. I've put her through a lot and I'm sure this was pretty close to the tip of the iceberg for her.

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I've got a girl I'm trying to work things out with and she's pretty traumatized by the whole thing. I need to start taking how she feels into account when I'm making decisions. I've put her through a lot and I'm sure this was pretty close to the tip of the iceberg for her.

At the end of the day, you were O.K. and the deal I have with my wife is I ALWAYS wear a full face helmet, my jacket, jeans or riding pants, and full toe shoes. That deal also covers that if what happened to you happened to me, we would both be freaked out of course but agreed to take a step back and put into perspective how much worse it could be as well as comparing the situations of car vs motorcycle. And in your situation I think it's a close comparison considering you have some rash but nothing broken etc and in a car you could have some whiplash, bruise from the seatbelt etc. IMO those are very similar outcomes and therefore if she is scared of you riding again, she should be almost equally as scared you driving a car again.

EDIT: It should also be noted that I had my bike for over 2 years before she got on the back. Giving her as much time as she needed was the best thing I did because now she is hooked on it just as much as I am. Additionally, where our situations may part is my wife saw my go through some bad football injuries while we were dating, including the doctor's appointment where the doctor told me the pain I played with for the last 3 games of the season was a fractured back and I could have easily paralyzed myself while I played through it. Therefore my wife may be more desensitized to injuries slightly more than your girl.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! I know you've heard this too many times already but this could have been much worse! Gear ftw! I saw a guy today in traffic doing 65 mph in a tank top and shorts with sneakers. Made me cringe!

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
At the end of the day, you were O.K. and the deal I have with my wife is I ALWAYS wear a full face helmet, my jacket, jeans or riding pants, and full toe shoes. That deal also covers that if what happened to you happened to me, we would both be freaked out of course but agreed to take a step back and put into perspective how much worse it could be as well as comparing the situations of car vs motorcycle. And in your situation I think it's a close comparison considering you have some rash but nothing broken etc and in a car you could have some whiplash, bruise from the seatbelt etc. IMO those are very similar outcomes and therefore if she is scared of you riding again, she should be almost equally as scared you driving a car again.

EDIT: It should also be noted that I had my bike for over 2 years before she got on the back. Giving her as much time as she needed was the best thing I did because now she is hooked on it just as much as I am. Additionally, where our situations may part is my wife saw my go through some bad football injuries while we were dating, including the doctor's appointment where the doctor told me the pain I played with for the last 3 games of the season was a fractured back and I could have easily paralyzed myself while I played through it. Therefore my wife may be more desensitized to injuries slightly more than your girl.

Yeah, I'm ok but both her and I know I shouldn't be. Worst part is she texted me before I went out and told me to be careful and I told her "Always, but just in case you know how I feel". Ten minutes later I was calling her to tell her I went down. She's pretty upset and I can tell I need to give her a little space, but all I want to do is hold her. I lost her once and I don't want to lose her again. I told her I'm done with bikes for a while and she agreed. I never want her to get that phone call again.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone's talking about you - but you seem to be doing alright now. So here's my opinion on your bike.

I'd say that, whichever way you want it to go, it could go.

My roommate laid his '01 Triumph Sprint down at 25mph, it sustained less damage than yours appears to have and it was totaled (approx value $3k) There were a few plastic pieces that got scratched up and slightly cracked, but since it was a slide the forks and bars got twisted. An appraiser will say that in order to get it fixed you need to replace the forks/bars etc since they're twisted, when in reality most of those situations solve themselves with a good loosen, shake and tighten of the triple clamps.

Rough list of what I think you'll need to look into replacing, from a quick glance at the pictures,
Rear sidepod:
Pegs (left side, pass and rider):
Lever:
Shifter:
BarEnd:
Handlebar? could be bent?:
Stator Cover:
Left fork? could have some damage from rubbing on the lower corner.
Left Mirror:
Plastics:? Couldn't tell if your front plastics took a hit, I'd guess they did?

I guess what I'm saying is, you'll be able to get the bike back into great condition for less than a $500 deductible, especially with used parts from the forum. But if insurance was going to do it it probably would total the bike, just from the need to replace every dinged part with new at a shop.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Pants are barely broken in.
On average the torso and upper arms are almost 2/3rds of a male's body weight. With femes that is reversed. Remember your physics. The heavy part rotates down. Normally when you slide on the road because you lose traction when you fall off you land on your knees and then flip onto your shoulders. If the gibbering monkey in the back of your brain doesn't have your synapses frozen, it is best to just keep rolling and dropping energy until you can roll to your feet. Point out to the little lady that god made women smart and men tough. Back in the day the man had to stand in the front of the cave with a pointy stick and keep the hungry critters out. Sometimes that means taking punishment and keeping on to protect the women and kids. Today that isn't as important as being able to change a light bulb but 100,000 years of natural selection doesn't vanish overnight.

"One puts the lotion on":eek:
-Silence of the Lambs.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone's talking about you - but you seem to be doing alright now. So here's my opinion on your bike.

I'd say that, whichever way you want it to go, it could go.

My roommate laid his '01 Triumph Sprint down at 25mph, it sustained less damage than yours appears to have and it was totaled (approx value $3k) There were a few plastic pieces that got scratched up and slightly cracked, but since it was a slide the forks and bars got twisted. An appraiser will say that in order to get it fixed you need to replace the forks/bars etc since they're twisted, when in reality most of those situations solve themselves with a good loosen, shake and tighten of the triple clamps.

Rough list of what I think you'll need to look into replacing, from a quick glance at the pictures,
Rear sidepod:
Pegs (left side, pass and rider):
Lever:
Shifter:
BarEnd:
Handlebar? could be bent?:
Stator Cover:
Left fork? could have some damage from rubbing on the lower corner.
Left Mirror:
Plastics:? Couldn't tell if your front plastics took a hit, I'd guess they did?

I guess what I'm saying is, you'll be able to get the bike back into great condition for less than a $500 deductible, especially with used parts from the forum. But if insurance was going to do it it probably would total the bike, just from the need to replace every dinged part with new at a shop.

Yeah, at this point I want it gone, I was trying to sell it anyways. I just hope the number insurance gives me is a number I find fair. I have a 93 silverado rcsb in the driveway waiting to get a turbo'd 5.3. Time for a different project

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, at this point I want it gone, I was trying to sell it anyways. I just hope the number insurance gives me is a number I find fair. I have a 93 silverado rcsb in the driveway waiting to get a turbo'd 5.3. Time for a different project

I don't think anyone would hold you getting out against you. However I do want to note that I imagine most people here heard this saying and I definitely ride by it with the expectation that unfortunately I may be in your situation but WHEN I am, I only hope I get through it as lucky as you did(injury wise).

"The question isn't IF you lay your bike down, it's WHEN you lay your bike down"

If you insurance claim and get out, I hope you stick around here to keep bulls hitting with us until (hopefully) the itch to ride again bites you. If not, God bless

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think anyone would hold you getting out against you. However I do want to note that I imagine most people here heard this saying and I definitely ride by it with the expectation that unfortunately I may be in your situation but WHEN I am, I only hope I get through it as lucky as you did(injury wise).

"The question isn't IF you lay your bike down, it's WHEN you lay your bike down"

If you insurance claim and get out, I hope you stick around here to keep bulls hitting with us until (hopefully) the itch to ride again bites you. If not, God bless

Great way to put it. I feel very fortunate to have just superficial injuries(from what we are able to tell at this point) and to still be breathing. With the speed, location, and how I went down I honestly shouldn't be here able to post about it. And I'd love to move over to the vtwin side and build a bobber, but for now it's time to stick to cages for a bit. I need a break so I can come back with a fresh head and the girl I'm trying to work things out with needs me to take a break. Never thought I'd find a girl that'd be able to keep me off a bike haha.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry about your wreck and hope you heal up well. and the rash? OOOOUCH!!

however without your misfortune we would not have gotten this priceless pic. so, its not all bad :p

5BC48C31-0B48-4897-A807-B8FE57B98440_zpsif7d9ue2.jpg

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from in regards to bike vs girl. I rode a fair amount before I got married but when I did get hitched, it was to an instant family (she had two kids) and money was tight, so I quit riding. I tried after around 10 years to talk her into accepting me starting up again but it was apparent the time wasn't right, so I dropped it. Then around 5 years ago I started laying the foundation to get back to two wheels (doing my homework on what I wanted, working out the financials, dropping small hints, etc) and low and behold, she was okay with it. Of course, that was after almost 30 years of marriage and both kids being out on their own. But whichever path you take, I wish you well.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Insurance picked up the bike yesterday and I already miss having a bike :/ They didn't give me as much as I wanted but it also wasn't a number I was going to turn down. Maybe one day I'll be back on two wheels and out of my cage.
And before anyone says it I'll say it for you :ban: haha