Roadrash sucks............Like really bad

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I went down pretty hard last night. I was on an overpass that takes a sweeping down to the right direction changing from one highway to the other. My memory is a little iffy but I believe I hit a slick spot and that took me right into the left side barrier and down I went. However all the damage to the bike is on the left side, I would have thought it would have been on the right. I got up and made my way to the bike and limped it the few blocks away to the local hospital. I had on my new scorpion exo1000 helmet, Icon jacket, alpine stars gloves, regular jeans from express and my ariat boots. I have some rash on my arms,lower back, side of my right thigh and my knees. I expected worse but that sure doesn't make it hurt less haha
Whats left of my jacket and left boot, the jacket tore apart
B61DB043-8551-43DA-9C48-16CCFA94FDAD_zpsmommj10f.jpg

Whats left of the jeans, heck I think they're still wearable
D1454977-BEAA-46B7-93FC-4E571B92FFEB_zpsfxnayiao.jpg

right forearm
FE2BCB9C-5A9A-40BE-9307-4D5E3E9CEDE9_zpstthr2aru.jpg

left bicep
459AB3D3-917E-491F-87C0-59AEF6217E45_zpsxfuw5w8x.jpg

knees
ED73E0F8-C466-45D1-A02C-A382FAD5E0F7_zpskci9owf0.jpg

rockin the awesome take home pants from the er
5BC48C31-0B48-4897-A807-B8FE57B98440_zpsif7d9ue2.jpg

the bike
045E3C1F-7286-4752-A9A3-3311F506E940_zpstn8ju5um.jpg

194CC4CE-08D8-46D5-9088-795348DFA830_zpsaiylsv66.jpg

3C671865-B041-4109-BB03-250682231207_zpsrw8bymf5.jpg

missing a solid inch-two out of the slider
878D950A-2AB5-44DC-B3C5-FB203BA33BB9_zpsbrlq2jrk.jpg

DEA65660-AEA1-4C5F-888A-1F5761091E39_zpsxczlesf8.jpg

7739C45C-256A-4A59-BBFC-9ED056840958_zps6pykkmpz.jpg

BE65863A-08EA-4ACB-984A-78A06F37B164_zps5qcavkm4.jpg

Still haven't taken my first shower, really not looking forward to that. But I feel pretty blessed that I'm still walking(albeit a little slower than usual) and breathing. What do y'all think the odds of the bike being totaled out are if I tell insurance?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really sorry to hear about your off, pleased you made it out reasonably unscathed (considering the circumstances and what could have happened :eek:).

Heal up soon :thumbup:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow man. Glad to see that you came out alright. And it looks like that frame slider did its job and saved your crank case! :eek:

Now seems like a good time to do a naked conversion! Have a speedy recovery!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very ouch. That's some pretty bad rash for sure, but no broken bones for the win!! It'll be painful for a while, but you can pretty much go back to business as usual (albeit a bit slower, as you said).

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Uck. Glad to see you made it through okay. I have that same jacket and I'm wondering about how it came apart at the wrists and arms.... Was it zipped all the way down to the wrist?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen way too many posts regarding what I have learned today to a point that often road rash can for the most part be preventable. I'm kind of surprised of the amount you received on your arms. Don't you have armor? Shoulder, elbow and forearm? Wearing jeans, that's to be expected no surprise there. Lucky no broken knees or bones.

Thanks for posting. Yeah, that shower is gong to sting.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Uck. Glad to see you made it through okay. I have that same jacket and I'm wondering about how it came apart at the wrists and arms.... Was it zipped all the way down to the wrist?

I'd love to know that as well, I couldn't believe it when I saw the jacket and saw how bad it really was. It was fully zipped and the buttons were snapped together on the wrists.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen way too many posts regarding what I have learned today to a point that often road rash can for the most part be preventable. I'm kind of surprised of the amount you received on your arms. Don't you have armor? Shoulder, elbow and forearm? Wearing jeans, that's to be expected no surprise there. Lucky no broken knees or bones.

The jacket has built in elbow pads/shoulder reinforcement. Forearm section is a mix of textile/mesh. It helped a lot but was torn apart on impact. I knew the risk associated with wearing regular jeans in case of an off but I was actually surprised I wasn't more torn up waist down.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear that same jacket every day and it feels more durable than yours looks.... wonder if I should have wifey reinforce that closure...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How hecklers did you burn up your bicep?

Get well and use the antiseptic with the pain killer in it. It really helps.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Too loose I'm guessing. Gear needs to be snug to work. Ouch.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A local newbee went down here on Sunday. Almost identical jacket damage. Rashed up good.
As far as the opposite side of the bike being damaged. Maybe the rear came around and then hooked back up before you went down. Did you end up ahead of the bike? Was the bike ahead of you?

Ouch Get better!!! :rockon:

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
A local newbee went down here on Sunday. Almost identical jacket damage. Rashed up good.
As far as the opposite side of the bike being damaged. Maybe the rear came around and then hooked back up before you went down. Did you end up ahead of the bike? Was the bike ahead of you?

Ouch Get better!!! :rockon:

The bike was a decent distance down the ramp from me. It's really all a big blur honestly. Its odd, I have more rash on my body parts that were covered by the jacket than I do the ones covered by my jeans.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your OK, WOW that jacket doesn't look so good though. Are the mesh panels the tight dens type? I bought a new RevIt GT Air this year to replace a Joe Rocket mesh jacket that I was getting worried about how it would hold up - lots of very open mesh. The RevIt has less mesh and most of the mesh is pretty dens but still I wonder.

My guess is when you went down your upper torso made more contact - kind of like rolling up on your shoulder and back. I've seen a number of folks do that when they go down on the track, best part is that your pretty much OK. Take care of those scrapes and don't let infection get in there - after my surgery the doc recommended Dial liquid anti-bacterial soap for a while.

Keep us updated on how you and the bike heal up.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're okay! Road rash blows, but it's better than what could a been! I'm, too, surprised by the amount of rash on your upper body. You know how fast you were going at the time of you're off?

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your OK, WOW that jacket doesn't look so good though. Are the mesh panels the tight dens type? I bought a new RevIt GT Air this year to replace a Joe Rocket mesh jacket that I was getting worried about how it would hold up - lots of very open mesh. The RevIt has less mesh and most of the mesh is pretty dens but still I wonder.

My guess is when you went down your upper torso made more contact - kind of like rolling up on your shoulder and back. I've seen a number of folks do that when they go down on the track, best part is that your pretty much OK. Take care of those scrapes and don't let infection get in there - after my surgery the doc recommended Dial liquid anti-bacterial soap for a while.

Keep us updated on how you and the bike heal up.

I'd say multiple layers varying from very dense to not so much. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow when I get up and around. And thanks I'll keep y'all posted. I honestly just want insurance to take the bike and cut me a check, my priorities are changing and I've got a street truck sitting in the driveway waiting to be built.