Rizoma bar ends

maxpower3

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm trying to install some Rizoma bar ends on my 08 FZ6. As anyone who owns this product knows, this consists of expanding a rubber tube inside of the handlebar tube. Not the best idea, in my opinion. With that being said, I've got some questions:

Which of the 3 rubber tubes did everyone use?
On the instruction sheet, there is 4 installion options. Did everyone use #1 or even #1.1?
Did you have the conical screws facing one another, or both pointing towards the bike?
Did you guys use Loctite on the large screw?

I can't seem to get this thing to work for the life of me. No matter how tight I tighten the screw, there's still a fair amount of play. Plus, when I tighten the unit till it feels snug, it just falls out because the tube is pushed outward towards the bar end. Any help?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're not the only one. I bought mine about a year ago, and tried installing them per the instructions and it just wouldn't work. I gave up. Let me know if you figure it out.

Who did you buy it from. I got mine from PJ Parts.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got them on my Buell. I don't recall which rubber thingie I ended up using. The model I selected is the "race" model and has a replaceable slider. I had to remove the slider to get to the screw that tightened the washer against the rubber thingie. Once I did that it snugged right up within the bar, then I installed the slider. I'm not sure if all Rizoma bar ends are the same installation process or not.

I bought mine from PJ's.

PJFZ1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Max. PJ here.

You should be using the largest rubber bushing that will fit in your bar. I think that means the largest of the 3 for the Yamaha's if I remember correctly. You want to be able to snug the bolt and conical nut together so you have friction and can tighten them, and have it at an outside diameter that will drag on the bar interior so the rubber will sit still when you start to tighten.

Loctite isn't necessary, as you should be able to get plenty of torque on the bolt once it's installed. I use conical nut with the flat/wider side against the rubber insert.

We have seen a few bikes with the threaded insert for bar ends that is too deep in the bar, so there are two inside diameters, and the insert only grips the edge of the smaller/deeper part and tends to come loose. In this case you need to add a couple of small washers between the body of the slider and the insert, to get the expanding portion deeper in the bar. I think we've had one customer actually get longer M5 Bolts to get the insert deeper.

And lastly, if you've ever got a problem with a product we sell, Please give us a call or send an e-mail. Vegasrider, we wish you would have contacted us back when you got them.

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Hey Max,

I just re-isntalled my throttle side Rizoma bar end (first one fell off....:().

Pj's instructions are correct, but IIRC I believe I used the rubber inserts that were already on the units when they were packaged.

You want an insert that will fit into the handlebar before you start expanding it.

The process can be a bit filddly and takes some trial and error, especcially the throttle side as Ive found that when I get it tight enough to secure the bar end, it's now too tight and binds on the throttle. So you have to back it off just enough so that the throttle still works and is not binding at all on the bar end. This is how my 1st Rizoma bar end went missing beause it worked itself loose and ended up falling off. So now I chec it more often. Another member suggested that you can remove the throttle assembly, slide it up the abr a bit then install the bar end, tighten it, then sldie the throttle assemblt back down to meet it.

Hope this helps!

PJFZ1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Max,

especcially the throttle side as Ive found that when I get it tight enough to secure the bar end, it's now too tight and binds on the throttle.

The washers in the package are for just this issue - If you put them on the bolt between the bar and and the inserts, it keeps the bar end from contacting the throttle. There should be a tiny gap between the two with no friction.

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Thanks P! :thumbup:

I don't think either of mine came with any washers though......of course they might have and I just tossed them into my "WTF are these for" bin.

I will check when I get home after work as the packaging is still on my workbench.

Last edited:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks P! :thumbup:

I don't think either of mine came with any washers though......of course they might have and I just tossed them into my "WTF are these for" bin.

I will check when I get home after work as the packaging is still on my workbench.

I usually call it my trash can:spank: and then find out when I'm almost done I'm missing a part I might have thrown away:rolleyes:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Max. PJ here

And lastly, if you've ever got a problem with a product we sell, Please give us a call or send an e-mail. Vegasrider, we wish you would have contacted us back when you got them.

I know I could have contacted you, and it would have been taken care of......... But eventually I knew that this thread would eventually crop up. LOL...

The bar ends have been just sitting on the shelf. Not a high priority list. I'll eventually get to it.

By the way, my Rizoma LED turn signals are great! Still going strong and they are very bright.

CoFZ6

Junior Newbie Trainee
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been a year since I put mine on, also purchased from PJ's. I do remember I slipped 2 of the rubber bushings over a screwdriver and turned them down a little on my bench grinder. Everything's held fine for 7000+ miles, and I've gotten several compliments on them.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, you're all giving me a little more confidence to buy my rizoma sportline grips and bar ends.

I've been a little worried as I've heard too many problems with fitting them on the '08, but I think I might go shopping now....

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Go for them Kazza! My girl got me them and I love them so much.

PJ, if you don't mind going off on a tangent, does your store ship to Canada and if so how much? I'd love to order another set for my dad on his FZ1.

PJFZ1

Reaction score
Visit site
Go for them Kazza! My girl got me them and I love them so much.

PJ, if you don't mind going off on a tangent, does your store ship to Canada and if so how much? I'd love to order another set for my dad on his FZ1.

We do - and for just the bar ends, $15, for grips and ends, $21