Riding Without a Headlight!!!

ROACH1111

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys and gals, as some of you may remember, I wrecked my Red '07 on Independence day; it's finally got the Black '08 parts on it that I wanted, and it's time for me to go pick it up. The only problem is that the shop that has it is 30 miles away, and I haven't put the new FZ1N headlight that I bought on it yet (because it hasn't shipped). Anyone know if it's illegal to ride during the day without a headlight? I'm assuming it is, but if anyone knows for sure (especially if you're in Idaho) that would be great. Thanks.

I would almost be certain that it would be illegal. But may vary from state to state. This should be in your motorcycle rider's manual that the state provides which you should have. If not, you can probably look it up online. You might look up under the state police or highway patrol website, as the one here in Nevada provides all ltraffic laws and regulations pertaining to all types of vehicles.

not sure, but can't imagine it is illegal. the first street bike I owned had a switch so you could turn the head light on/off. or was it that the low beam was just burned out???? I donno

not sure, but can't imagine it is illegal. the first street bike I owned had a switch so you could turn the head light on/off. or was it that the low beam was just burned out???? I donno

In the "old days" the light switch turned the lights ON. Nowadays I think all the manufacturers set the lights to burn low-beam all the time, so I think it might be a Federal law, not State. I guess it depends a lot on your tolerance for risk and the likelyhood of running into a trooper who's got nothing better to do than give a MC a ticket for no lights.

If it was me I might go to the nearest tractor supply store and buy a $10 12v tractor headlight, some wire and some strapping steel for a quick and dirty bracket. The light isn't going to be DOT cert and it won't be worth much at night over about 35 mph but it should get you "un-noticed" by the police. I rigged up a set on my road bicycle to do some extended night riding and it worked well. Unless your troopers are of the "SS" variety the worst they should do is give you a ticket telling you to get it fixed properly - which you were going to do anyway... but like I said - it's a risk and your choice...

OR you could go rent a trailer. My U-Haul place is about 8 miles away and charges about $15 a day for a flatbed. It's a PITA to do for such a short trip but...

decisions - decisions...

You can also look in the phone book under the blue pages find the number for non emergency. A dispatch officer wiil pick up the phone and direct your call to the appropiate department to help you with your question.

I would say yes as a bike has to be fitted with lighs, horn, indicators etc to be street legal.

You need to call your police traffic department to ask advise. They will almost certainly say either No you cannot ride or You ride at the chance of getting a ticket, they will not say Yes it is ok.

I am en ex policeman,.

Hey guys and gals, as some of you may remember, I wrecked my Red '07 on Independence day; it's finally got the Black '08 parts on it that I wanted, and it's time for me to go pick it up. The only problem is that the shop that has it is 30 miles away, and I haven't put the new FZ1N headlight that I bought on it yet (because it hasn't shipped). Anyone know if it's illegal to ride during the day without a headlight? I'm assuming it is, but if anyone knows for sure (especially if you're in Idaho) that would be great. Thanks.

Were talking 30 miles here not 300. While riding in daylight! Just ride the bike home. If you get pulled over just act like you didn't know it was out. It's a fix it ticket at best. Fix it when you get home. Do the speed limit and you won't even get noticed.

I like the way you think Gcontroller.:rockon: I think that's what I'll end up doing. It's not like I'm gonna get a huge ticket even if I do get pulled over, plus the cops here tend to be pretty biker friendly.

I would almost be certain that it would be illegal. But may vary from state to state. This should be in your motorcycle rider's manual that the state provides which you should have. If not, you can probably look it up online. You might look up under the state police or highway patrol website, as the one here in Nevada provides all ltraffic laws and regulations pertaining to all types of vehicles.

Problem here is all States are different as you stated. When I got my bikes the State never sent me a Vehicle Code book and the dealer well just took my cash. I guess it's something you gotta go out and find on your own. That means most riders find won't the magic book. How can that be fixed? We all should know what we can get away with after all. Or at least what the LEO is looking for.

Last edited:
Problem here is all States are different as you stated. When I got my bikes the State never sent me a Vehicle Code book and the dealer well just took my cash. I guess it's something you gotta go out and find on your own. That means most riders find won't the magic book. How can that be fixed? We all should know what we can get away with after all. Or at least what the LEO is looking for.

Use "the Google" :rolleyes: The Truth is Out There... :D

Back