Riding with a passengers helmet on the the helmet lock??

cmor15

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey so what are yalls thoughts on carrying an extra helmet on the helmet lock. Me and my girl often just dont wear helmets at all because its tough to carry the passenger helmet over to her place.
Just riding with it on the helmet lock seems legit? Its not really in the way of anything that i can tell.

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
Just buy a little cargo net... Or a backpack.. Or leave it at her house. Or even one bungie cord through the helmet attached to the handles back there(I've carried a wii fit back there with two bungies, and a thing of cinnamon rolls from the grocery store with one bungie) Or... There's probably a gazillion ways to carry them. Looking at it, I guess it wouldn't be too crazy to carry it on the lock. But there's plenty of other options.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey so what are yalls thoughts on carrying an extra helmet on the helmet lock. Me and my girl often just dont wear helmets at all because its tough to carry the passenger helmet over to her place.
Just riding with it on the helmet lock seems legit? Its not really in the way of anything that i can tell.

:eek: :eek: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Um couldn't you leave a helmet at her place so when you pick her up there is one there.

Seriously use a helmet, road rash on your head makes it real hard to brush your hair, oh and you could die

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously, don't let her ride without her helmet. What you do is up to you, but as for her, you wanna live with the guilt if anything happened?

Her helmet, leave it at her house. That's the best idea :thumbup:

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously, don't let her ride without her helmet. What you do is up to you, but as for her, you wanna live with the guilt if anything happened?

Her helmet, leave it at her house. That's the best idea :thumbup:

That's my biggest fear on a bike... Not that I'd crash and die. But that I'd have a pillion, I'd crash and survive, and she would die.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
cargo net would probably be the cheapest solution. other than that you could get a top box for carrying stuff

personally i wouldn't let a pillion on my bike without full ppe, it would be bad enough if i had a crash let alone if they didn't have some protection

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't carry a helmet on the helmet lock. If I had to carry one on a short journey I'd put it over my left arm, up to the elbow.

Why doesn't the lady just keep her helmet at home? Has to be simpler. As for not wearing one cos it's hard to carry........ :rolleyes:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the above folks. Just leave her helmet with her. My wife (girlfriend at the time) kept her helmet in the trunk of her car, as she was never very far from it, so she always had a helmet with her.

bitty7292

Bitty7292
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're not gonna wear a helmet than you just shouldn't ride - plain and simple. Put both your helmets on and stop looking like a squid.

:spank:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would be weary of riding with the helmet on the lock, it puts it awfully close to the chain and the strap might get sucked in, I agree that you should leave it at her house or just get a bungee net, they are like $10...which is way less than an ER Visit.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 2 $4.00 bungie nets and they are really helpful. A backpack is allways a good idea since you can bring the helmet plus something else.
I think the helmet will scratch alot if you ride with it on the lock.
What about getting a case? they have one big enough for 2 full face helmets, you can actually go grocery shoping on your bike.
Coocase - Home of the S28 Vivo, V28 Fusion, V36 Wizard and S48 Astra Topcases

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site
Is so stupid that in this day and age, some places dont have laws against not wearing a helmet, should be compulsory worldwide.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Is so stupid that in this day and age, some places dont have laws against not wearing a helmet, should be compulsory worldwide.

"click it or ticket"!!!!!

It is amazing the amount of people riding here without gear!!!!!!

Last weekend I took an extra helmet to my friend's house, for another friend that was going on a dire with us. It was a 2mile ride in a 25MPH area and either way I felt uncomfortable.
I have a little cargo net that came with my tailbag, but it is too small for the helmet.

I do like the idea of the helmet in the car (it could actually be useful) and second to that at your girlfriend house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the lightweight cloth bag that one of my helmets came in and it has strings on it for carrying. They're long enough to wear it like backpack straps and the bag fits under the seat or in a pocket when the helmet is in use. Even if I bungie, I leave in the bag to prevent scratching.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I am all for helmets, however last weekend I cheated. Spent 4 days in Sarasota, Florida. With temps. Of about 30 deg. C I enjoyed few rides with no helmet, no gloves, just sunglasses. It was pure pleasure, by the ocean, slow ride, I could finally enjoy listening FZ6 engine.
It is not like I discovered hot water, about 3/4 of riders I encountered were with no helmets.
Now back home in Canada it is all helmets ... Not that you want want to ride at all with temps at about 5 deg. C.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have to question the carrying of a helmet on your back.

You come off the bike and land on the helmet - what's more likely to give, the helmet or your spine?

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Tampa, FL and from my experiences I would never ride without a helmet or protective gear. I am sure it feels nice to ride without a helmet but it only takes one time when your front tire skids on a rock making a slow turn or something of that nature and you go down to cause a serious head injury. I am aware of what the augment for no helmet consist of but to me it just does not hold up.

I don't think people realize that it does not take much of a hit to the head to cause a serious head injury.

To this day I do not understand how a governing body could go out on a limb and actually repeal a helmet law that Florida had on the books in the 1980s.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll admit there are times the only protective gear I have on is the helmet, but I never go without that.

The few times I've had to ride with an extra helmet I've just put it on the lock. I feel a little iffy about that, but they've been short rides at slow speeds so I didn't mind too much. I'd strap it to the seat for a longer/faster ride.