Riding Position

Archeon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

Until previously, I have ridden sports bikes, and not had any kind of issue with wind buffeting due to the riding position.

Having now moved to the FZ6 and the more upright position, everything is great at about 50mph or below. At 50+ mps, and especially at motorway speeds of 70 (ish) mph, I am struggling with the amount of wind hitting me.

I am 6 foot, so most of the wind off the stock windscreen is hitting me in the chest and shoulders (and fortunately not under my helmet that I believe some shorter riders struggle with). From reading a lot of posts here, it seems this is the "ideal" situation for a fazer.

My main questions are:

1) Should I be changing my riding position at higher speeds to try and tuck myself behind the windscreen?
2) Do you think a new windscreen will help (potentially a touring screen, or a double bubble?)
3) Should I just suck it up and get used to the wind in the chest?
4) When people talk about "clean air" in regards to wind buffeting, what are they referring to?

Many thanks,

Simon

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, Simon.. :welcome:

1) Should I be changing my riding position at higher speeds to try and tuck myself behind the windscreen?

Tucking will definitely work, but let's be realistic.. you don't want to be hunched over the whole time if you'll be out there for a while.

2) Do you think a new windscreen will help (potentially a touring screen, or a double bubble?)

Touring screen will likely move the wind to your helmet. Easier on the chest and shoulders, but might be a bit annoying.. it WILL be a lot easier to tuck though. Double bubble.. personally I found they create as much turbulence as stock.. if not more. Too each his own though.. plenty of people love them.

3) Should I just suck it up and get used to the wind in the chest?

I would definitely experiment with different screens.

4) When people talk about "clean air" in regards to wind buffeting, what are they referring to?

To experience "clean air", remove the screen all together and go for a ride, you'll see what we mean. Lots more wind on your chest and shoulders, but no turbulence.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the Puig screen and it moved the wind from my chest to helmet, quite noticeable. I seem to lean on the tank above 60 it just feels better, not quite full tuck but leaning forward, less wind and better control for me. I would like to try the touring screen I bet that takes most of it away, also I'm 5,9.

iwannaride

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'10" and IMO the touring screen definitely cuts down on the wind in the face. I've been using the stock screen recently commuting to work and my head seems to bob around a lot more with it. If you're doing significant amount of long distance highway speed riding, +1 for the touring screen.

Archeon

Reaction score
Visit site
So the answer to all my wishes was an Airblade double bubble screen. I now get no wind hitting me in the chest at all, and everything deflects nicely over and round my helmet.

If you are 6' and having issues, then this is a godsend!

Regards,

Si