Riding Group Members

Would you cruise with scooters?

• Yea, sure. Why not?

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Only if they could keep up.

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
I often go cruising with my buddies in the mountains. One fella has a Aprilia 750 Shiver (naked), another has a Honda Steed (600cc cruiser), and another has a Suzuki Boulevard (800cc cruiser). The cruisers have no problems keeping up, except when we get into the wickedly twisted mountain switchbacks, which is understandable and I don't mind having to wait for them at the bottom of the mountain.This kind of mixed group is fine.

However, I live in Korea, which seems to be a land of contrast because of the nature of some riding groups. I often see mixed groups of sport bikes, cruisers, and scooters all together. The other weekend I saw a group of 3 with a 100cc cruiser pinned to the max, leading the group. Granted, some of the scooters I've seen in groups here likely have 600cc motors and haul ass but it always causes me to do a double-take when I see Fireblades, Hayabusas, CBRs, big cruisers, and then scooters... Am I just stuck-up and on my high-horse thinking this is odd and not something I would do? So, I wanted your opinions. Especially, would you ride in a group with scooters?

Last edited:

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
if someone on a scooter wanted to ride with me, I'd say why not? I don't do anything they can't do, although they might need to slow a bit more through turns...nothing I can't live with.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
HEY! My first bike was a Honda Silverwing. Don't hate on the mega-scooters...lol.

Seriously, though, I don't see any reason why a 600cc scooter (Silverwing, Suzuki Burgman, etc.) couldn't be allowed to ride with sportbikes, especially if you've got cruisers in your group. I've often wished I had the chance to take my Silverwing through the twisties when I had it, but that was before I was a twisty rider. I just commuted and rode around on it.

The only real issue I would see in riding twisties on a mega-scooter would be tires. I'm referring to the size of tire, though. One of the downsides to my Silverwing was the fact that it had a 14-inch front and 13-inch rear tire. While it had no problem doing 85-90 on the Interstate (it registered 120 mph), it would get pretty twitchy and was VERY easily pushed around by big rigs, considering how light it was.

But, I'm open to just about anyone riding with me, as long as they're safe and don't do anything stupid or squidish to cause problems or unwanted attention. Heck, I still wave at mega-scooters when they pass...but only them. Not the little 50cc or 100cc ones.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't trust people near work around the Fizzy so I usually commute on my SYM HD200... while Im working with 15 HP its light and it leans sooo easy... But me on the scoot could never comfortably keep up with me on the fizzy... I can pull 80 MPH on the scoot, but by the time I get there the Fizz would want to pull ahead... maybe like you guys said the megascoots, I just don't know how they woudl handle the uphill the scoot does not like uphill... downhill twisties are a ton of fun I get near the same lean on both bikes... Yeah I dont go near the track...

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
By scooter you mean 50-100 cc mopeds right, only if it had NOS, that would be cool to passed on the Fazer by a moped shooting flames out the exhaust.
I don't really mind riding with anyone as long as they are safe and respectable.
As far as riding next to a scooter, that would just make me look cooler on the Fazer.
They would have to keep up though, I don't like waiting for slow people when I snowboard in a group also.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Mega-scooters, if they can keep up with everyone else, sure why not? Little 50cc things everyone here in the city has? No way. On a similar note, has anyone seen a DN-01 riding around yet? I haven't.

I never realized how cool some of the roads in S. Korea are until I saw the Korean review of the Genesis Coupe before they brought it over to the US. Some very nice stuff over there.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I said "yes"... but only in certain situations... If I am in Korea and have the opportunity for such a ride, I'd jump on any bike/scooter/bicycle/skateboard and try to keep up! :D

Seriously though, as a one-off sure, but not on a regular basis.

Cool to get some news from a fellow rider from Korea!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I put "sure! why not?"

C'mon little buddy!

Vrroooom Vrroooom!

Whrrrr Whrrrrr!

It's a good life!

Gort

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
My sister led a group of us thru the Dragon's Tail on her Vino :) Hey, it's a Yamaha!! It was a blast, tho I wish we had the time to make another run. We rode there and back in a day from Chattanooga, TN. I'm still sad I wasn't able to make it to the forum meet this year. :(

She didn't ride the scoot all the way there, by the way. She bought some dragon's tail stickers and put on it. It was just wrong to have them and not have ridden it. She and her bf trailered the scoot and his R6. He's going to be getting rid of his baby soon. His wrists can't take the position any longer. :( On the upside...there will soon be a Speed Triple I can lust after and ride when I visit them :)

So, I guess I would ride w/scooters :)

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I would mind, I tend to wave at anyone but those little 50cc guys. Not that I stick my nose up at them, when I was 15 that was me.

I like riding with a group as long as they are being safe and not making me want to either blast by them or give them room. :squid: I have been looking for people to ride with, but will have to wait for a couple of years to do it again. I'm going to be vacationing in the mountains curtisy of the army if you know what I mean. :p

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the "scooter" guys don't hold the group up I would definately ride with them.
A colleague of mine rides a Burgman and I was surprised how nippy it is. I would have to add this guy sold his FJR this year and has done numerous riding courses ( both as a civilian and as a military communications rider). he would be the first to admit the "scooters" limitations but I believe he rides it upto those limits.
As has been said many times on this forum a skilled rider on a smaller bike is not necesarily slower.

Last edited:

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride with a Burgman rider occasionally. That little(big) skoot can go.

I've always had a place in my heart for skooters big and small. And I really don't mind being "slowed down." There's always time for more spirited riding later.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
My GF has a 250cc Sportscity which she rides with me occasionally. I've ridden it a few times and its amazing how much go it has. Without breaking the law it easily keeps up with anything, and can easily overtake. The main issue we have now is she is on learners and limited to 80km/h!
For legal riding I think I would be pretty similar speed on the sportscity as the FZ6, it has less acceleration, but winds up relatively fast for an auto, and is deceptive about the speed your doing. Its also amazingly good for cornering.

That being said for when I go for a long ride and let the FZ6 off the leash it might be a different story depending on speed. I think as a scooter (even one with the larger wheels) its probably not going to be happy at much over 110km/h (its advertised to handle that comfortably) mainy due to the relatively small wheels compared to a bike, not as good suspension and not so good aerodynamics (sp?)

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'd agree with the stats in the poll, but I've been jaded living in Korea by the way scooters and their drivers zoom around here. Pure lunacy seems to be an apt description. Anyways, cheers and thanks for the feedback.

BTW, sorry for leaving out mopeds ~