Riding Double / Two Up

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site
Up until this past weekend, I refused to ride two-up. One bad wreck 8 years ago and I was just not willing to risk it with a loved on. But this weekend was so nice, and she REALLY wanted to ride.

Firstly, I have a hyperlink rear spring.

I had her watch a video about two-up riding first, to get with the program. THEN I GEARED HER UP! Jacket, gloves, jeans, boots and full helmet. I had her practice getting on and off the bike, while I flat footed both feet and held the front brake. before long she got comfortable just sitting there. being at a standstill, any movement was noticed and appreciated.

we then did some low speed figure eights in a parking lot. this was NOT easy for me. the weight was just very different. but it got her aware of how her movement impacted the handling of the bike.

we then hit the pavement. she did amazingly well. i was very conservative and used my left hand to signal her about bumps and turns before they happened. this gave her the chance to know what to look for on the road. we took some nice easy turns. i did my VERY best to maintain smooth throttle thru shifting.

she had two concerns... she didnt like the acceleration too much as she slid back on the seat (no sissy bar). so i accelerated slowly until third gear. she also didnt like her lack of visability. we are thinking of a new seat over the stock and want to know what you all (with TS or corbin seats) think of the 2up passenger position.

what do you all think?

anyway, we expect to keep riding two up. she is even pondering taking the MSF class herself. of course, the bulk of my riding is solo, but it is nice to share the experience with her (as well as get free parking near Fenway). I suggest practice and starting slow. take it nice and easy. its no longer just my life in my hands...

DrM

Last edited:

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the corbin seat with removeable backrest. My wife feels 100% better about having that "safety net" for hard accelleration (not too hard) and she also feels like she can sit up more and brace herself on the passenger handles during leisurely riding. I don't have a pic with the backrest on the bike, but here's the site w/ pic.

Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Yamaha FZ6 Fazer Motorcycles | 800-538-7035

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife refuses to ride with me if I don't have the Givi trunk on. It helps with their confidence. And of course, ATGATT!

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my experience I've been riding 2 up since 3k miles, ( i know i know :spank:) but having a gf that's experienced in leaning into turns and holding still when coming to a stop made it easy on me. She's about 120 and the only time I ever notice her is when she hops on the bike and gets comfortable.

BIG :thumbup: on practicing on smooth shifting!!!

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
I just recently started going two up with my gf, and i have to say that the slow speed stuff is not as big as a challenge to me as the twisties. I'm not sure what she's doing back there, but it definitely unsettles the bike. I think she is trying to help me with the corners and overestimates how much lean is required. No long rides for us until I can get her to relax back there. Your pillion makes all the difference in the world.

neos

Intermediate rider
Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I have been ridding two up since I had around 100m of solo experience on the bike. I'm a lot more cautious with a passenger on the back, otherwise, no big deal.

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing I want to share is that if you do get on the throttle with two on board, the front end comes up VERY easy. Was accustomed to the front end staying down during hard acceleration. Having a passenger changes the balance of this bike quite a bit.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I rode for about a year before I let my fiance ride with me. If you have never done it, it takes some getting used to. She needs to know and you need to let her know the basics on maneuvering and leaning. As the other posters have been saying, have the right gear. The bike wont stop on a dime, and take offs are slower, and must be much smoother. The reason why you need to be smoother is because she cant prepare for when you shift the bike. If you can make a smooth shift every time, its much easier on the passenger.

that's my thoughts

Be safe, take your time. You are riding for two now.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude i was 11 years old had practiced all of two days around the yard on my yamaha dt175 and told my 4 year younger little brother to hop on the back and down the street we went...what i'm trying to say is there are people who do ,and people who come up with reasons why they c'ant ....c'ant never did anything.....is better to try something and fail,than to fail to try and sucseed.... :cheer: :D

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude i was 11 years old had practiced all of two days around the yard on my yamaha dt175 and told my 4 year younger little brother to hop on the back and down the street we went...what i'm trying to say is there are people who do ,and people who come up with reasons why they c'ant ....c'ant never did anything.....is better to try something and fail,than to fail to try and sucseed.... :cheer: :D

I would sure hate to fail with someone on the back of my bike.;)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a brilliant post, It sums up some great advice. I would just add that you need to really consider how differently the bike will handle. The brakes won't be as sharp, stopping distances will be longer. Turn in will require more input.

In reality even the riders with thousands of miles under their belts do not have a pillion on a regular basis. I have had two pillions this year. Both times I also needed to adjust the rear shock and needed a good twenty minutes to compensate for the different feel and characteristics of my bike.
Has your missus ever ridden on a bike before? It's not as simple as just sitting there, you need to ride in a way that allows her to feel comfortable and relaxed. There is nothing worse than being pillion to a rider, who is trying to show you how fast and flickable his bike is. The pillion has the ability to make your bike sit upright when you don't need it to.
Work out if you prefer her to hold the grab rail or you. When I first started riding I preferred the pillion to hold me.
Good luck and take your time.

A great thread people with some very good responses.

Nelly
Nelly said everything that I was going to say about this great response. (It was excellent) The only thing I have to say in addition to ALL of the great advice that you have received here: Your passenger can make or break you. (It's not ALL about the driver)
They need to learn to lean with you, not fight you. If they can be calm and just "ride directly behind you" you'll probably never know she's there - especially if she's tiny like you say. Remember that stopping distances increase slightly. Slow speed practice is the key. You two, (hopefully), will have a lifetime together. Don't let the testosterone dictate how you drive. Enjoy life - this is not a dress rehearsal!
(Proud of you man for asking this good question)

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
This is an excellent thread, some very good replies!!!

"A pillion should at all times behave exactly like a sack of potatoes" - Transalp (another forum)

I ride 2 up quite a bit, with wifey and the 2 elder kids. Wife is difficult to ride, because of weight on the back. You'll wheelie in a heartbeat ... [down front end down!!] and your rear suspension needs to be hardened, and your chain loostened, and your tyres inflated too.

Holding me or sissy bars is personal choice, wife and daughter hold me, son holds bars, all 3 are stable, i actually prefer them holding the bars, otherwise they constrict me a little, and bump my helmet from behind.

Your pre pillion talk is most important, full gear only, sit STILL and relax. No they don't believe you first time either. They need to know if you do go down, what to expect. you need to show them where their shoelaces must please not flap into (bad with my son, who doesn't seem to know what those long thingies on his shoes are for, funny maybe, but deadly if i don't check him before we ride.

As for riding, i'll just echo what someone else said: don't try show off, at all. The only thing you have to prove is that you don't drop your bike, period! It's very hard work, especially lane splitting (NOT ADVISED!!) and at low speeds any movement will throw your bike around a lot.

Have fun!! :thumbup: