Rider's Safety Course?

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just curious how many of you have taken the RSC, and what are your thoughts about it?

I have been riding motorcycles for many, many years (25+) and I finally took the course back in the 90's as something to do with my then girlfriend (she wanted me to teach her to ride...no thanks). I was so full of myself and quite certain that this course would be a waste of my time, HOWEVER, I was blown away by how much I DID NOT Know. The course was so well taught and I am tremendously grateful for it....I wish that Virginia would make it mandatory to acquire an M Class license.

Does your state require it? How much did you learn from it? Do you encourage others to take it?

Thanks and ride safely!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just curious how many of you have taken the RSC, and what are your thoughts about it?

I have been riding motorcycles for many, many years (25+) and I finally took the course back in the 90's as something to do with my then girlfriend (she wanted me to teach her to ride...no thanks). I was so full of myself and quite certain that this course would be a waste of my time, HOWEVER, I was blown away by how much I DID NOT Know. The course was so well taught and I am tremendously grateful for it....I wish that Virginia would make it mandatory to acquire an M Class license.

Does your state require it? How much did you learn from it? Do you encourage others to take it?

Thanks and ride safely!

Most of us here have taken it and we always encourage new comers to do the same.
It's the best way to learn to ride safely, hands down. It's not mandatory in NJ, but I wish it were.. in every state.

I knew how to ride before the course, but I knew absolutely nothing about riding safely.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not required in PA, but it should be. The class is free for residents (paid for through MC registration fees), so you'd have to be a fool to pass it up. Then again, half our motorcyclists don't wear helmets... and half those who do, don't wear any other safety gear. So we don't have any shortage of fools.

Vertigo

Reaction score
Visit site
I took mine a few years ago and I enjoyed the experience a lot. I learned a lot from the instructors and it was nice to have someone there to confirm you are using proper technique. It's not required in Ohio, but I think it should be for any new rider(only $25 to take it here).

A lot of people around my area only take it so they can get their license and ditch the "uncomfortable" helmet, while they ride(Ohio does require you to have a helmet for the first year you have your endorsement however.)

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I know FL just made it mandatory a few years ago, but no helmet law. Ohio's law is how it was when I lived in Maine. I just rode through PA last weekend on my way to Watkins Glen and saw most motorcyclist without helmets (unreal). The RSC costs about $150 here in Va, but that gets you everything you need to get on the road. Thanks for the replies...important topic I think.

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
I took it here in California with 2 friends - I walked in with literally zero experience on a motorcycle - like I'd never even sat on one - I left the class feeling like I had learned a ton and was really comfortable with the idea of riding. 1000 miles later, it's the smartest thing I could have done.

The instructors were great, the course material was pretty much perfect, and I couldn't have asked for a more friendly and supportive group of people. The thing that cracked me up the most was that there were 2 "older" women in our course - like in their 60s - that passed no problem.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know FL just made it mandatory a few years ago, but no helmet law.

While I personally wouldn't even entertain an idea of riding without a helmet, in my opinion the course is more important than a helmet. So I would say it's not the dumbest rule in the world.
Interesting statistic I learned yesterday in MSF meeting: since the Army introduced a mandatory riding course, fatalities have gone down 60%.

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
As a brand new rider a year ago, I took the course and learned a ton from it. My Dad also took the course a few years ago and recommended it to me which is why I did it in the first place. It was also a place to be able to get the license stamp with little to no stress. Plus the best part is that's it's completely free in PA.

There is also an experienced rider course that I plan on taking when I find an available weekend this summer. It covers a little more of the advanced technique, and you ride your own bike during it so it should be better.

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not required in MA, but it's highly recommended for a number of reasons:
1) When you take the course, you get 10% off your insurance forever, so eventually it will pay for itself
2). Bikes are provided, and the road-test at the end of the course will get you a full license
3). And like you said, there's a lot of little things you learn in the course that you won't learn on your own just riding around. Counter-steering, for example.

With the course:
1). Take written test at RMV to get permit
2). Take weekend-long course
3). Road test at the end of day 2
4). Your license is in the mail

Without the course:
1). Take written test at RMV to get permit
2). Find a bike, somehow, to practice on. This means you either have to buy a bike having never ridden one before, or you borrow a friends bike (not a good way to keep a friend! Plus, guest-driver is an optional coverage that not everybody has)
3). Learn to ride on your own on the street. You only have something like 6 months or a year before your permit expires. Hurry up.
4). Sign up for a road test and go in and take it.

(PS, the RMV road test is way harder than the course, because the course is basically just doing parts of the road test over and over again until you get it right, so you'll already know if you're going to pass before you even take it. Also, they give you a little 125 or 250cc to do it on. Very easy to handle in the box turn, etc)

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Taking the course means you can do the test on a tiny little 125 or 250 that you don't care about, then once you have your license you can go out and get the bike you actually want. I'm not sure I could have done "the box" on a full-size bike right after getting my license, so I'm glad I didn't have to try.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
It's working toward being required here. I would have taken it either way though. Just the benefit of not having to go through the whole song and dance of taking the written test, getting a permit, getting a bike and experience, and getting your bike legally to the DMV to take the road test for your endorsement, made it well worth the time for me. You'd probably spend almost as much time in line at the DMV in those 2 visits as you do taking the course! :D Definitely cool to walk in Friday night having never ridden a motorcycle, and be able to walk into the DMV Monday morning and get an unrestricted M endorsement.

BTW, for any who may be National Guard/reserves, ask if they'll cover your costs for the course. They do in Oregon, though our program is run by the state, not MSF, so YMMV.