• 100kg/220lbs - 125kg/275lbs

Votes: 90 17.8%
  • 125kg/275lbs +

Votes: 23 4.5%

• Total voters

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you suggest a better measuring system instead?

BMI can only give a rough idea of what kind of shape a person is but its easy to calculate.

Pinch test. You measure the fat from certain areas of your body with calipers and then crunch some numbers and you get a guestimate of your body fat%.

I always have a "high" bmi cause im 5'11" and 205 pounds but i'm stocky and built. If a person had the same BMI but i have a 33" waist and they have a 40" waist, anyone would be able to tell who's in shape.

I'd have to weight less than 175lbs to be considered a "good" weight :Flip:

A note to everyone that has a little excess fat and is trying to lose it- DON'T USE A SCALE!!! take measurements (waist, arms, legs) and go from there. you could be losing weight but the wrong weight. You don't want to lose fat free mass (muscle) you want to lose fat. the scale can lie. and muscle is heavier than fat.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From my research the pinch test isn't very accurate. It takes a "good technician" to be able to adminster a test close to your actual percentage. what ends up happening is when you walk in the tech has an idea of what body fat percentage you are, and they keep pinching and taking readings until they get something close to that.

Pinch test. You measure the fat from certain areas of your body with calipers and then crunch some numbers and you get a guestimate of your body fat%.

A note to everyone that has a little excess fat and is trying to lose it- DON'T USE A SCALE!!! take measurements (waist, arms, legs) and go from there. you could be losing weight but the wrong weight. You don't want to lose fat free mass (muscle) you want to lose fat. the scale can lie. and muscle is heavier than fat.

and that's good advice. constantly weighing yourself when you are trying to lose weight is discouraging. I think most people aren't really trying to lose weight as much as they are trying to lose fat. some people are but most aren't. so that's certainly a good tip

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'11'' and 200 pounds, my friend who is a skinny little beeeotch and has 6%body fat says I'm fat but then I just sit on him.:thumbup:

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
The BMI is a crock, I'm obese on that scale... I didn't know obese people could run 2.5 k in 10 muinets or do 10 km in 50.
The caliper measuring way is more accurate, but to my knowledge, the most accurate way is some magical formula they have figured out, they take your weight and then they put you in a tub of water, laying flat on your back and they measure how much water is displaced... Or something like that. Fat takes up more space than muscle for the same amount of weight so the more water displaced in relation to your weight, the higher your body %.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I started last season at 260, i am not 240, sounds a lot better than it is because i had gotten down to 230 before the holidays...:Flash::Flash::Flash:

My goal is 200 flat by the end of next year

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have lost 8 kilograms since my litlle whoopsie about a month ago....DVT does strange things to your appetite, would still like to lose about another 15kg's...i reckon it might be worth 6 or 7 ponies at the rear wheel.

:thumbup:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah... It's always nice to see a normal distribution in the statistical material:rolleyes:

By the way; I'm neither overweight nor old. 77 kg, 178cm and 29 yrs old.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I had DVT 2 years ago in both of my lower legs. It happened after a small 7 k rucksack march. I had done many longer ones but for some reason this one affected me, in both legs wich is rare. my lower legs were double the size and it was so bad for me that I couldn't support my own body weight. It didn't help that I was in basic and something like that can get you re-coursed and you have to start over. I was back on my feet in only 4 days, not nearly enough to properly heal but I couldn't start over with only 2 weeks left!
DVTs are dangerous as if the clot gets pushed out and is large enough, it can cause a pulmonary embolism wich can cause a whole **** load of issues including heart failure... So yes, lots of aspirin since it thins out the blood and helps with the pain... and no viagara for a while lol.