Ride Report

ozmodius

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys... i've been lurking on here for months, biding my time untill I could pull the trigger on an FZ6. I previously owned a 04 shadow spirit. It was a good bike, just not comfortable on long rides.

Price:

I traded in my shadow on the new one... i got a steal. I fully expected to get about 1k to 1500 for my shadow (its not in great shape)... they quoted me 2800. They had already quoted me a price of 6684.95 out the door on the FZ6 a week earlier. So .. out the door total after tax, title, and all their fees...

I have no idea how they came up with that .. but i'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth here.

Worries

I had read about the "digital" clutch, the very low power below 5k rpms and to me were probably my biggest concerns. The shadow has a very large friction zone and low rpm power was abundant. Vibration was a worry of mine also, I've read that some have buzzyness at 5.5k.

Getting Aquainted

So .. all the paper work is done, i'm geared up and climbing on the bike to get myself aquainted with my new sexy. I play with the buttons, make myself familiar with the controls, and fire it up... sweet extacy.. its running and not shaking me enough to rattle my teeth. I'm pumped. After clicking it into gear, I start looking for the friction zone. To my surprise its easy to modulate, even with big cold weather gloves on. Scratch one worry off the list.

The ride home

I pull out of the dealership and point it toward home. The acceleration is surprisingly brisk even at very low rpms. Scratch off another worry. I have to ride through about 5 miles of town before I reach the open road. There are probably 10 stop lights to go through. I saw each one as a chance to get aquainted with the clutch/acceleration/brakes/transmission. I love the brakes, the difference is night and day.. the shadow had single piston caliper on a single disk with almost worn out pads trying to stop a 650 lb machine plus rider. The FZ stops on a freakin dime! The transmission is as smooth as glass compared to my shadow.

Out on the open road...

I get past the last stop light and get up to cruzing speed.. 75. Now, just let me say this... i've put 38,000 miles on my shadow in the two years that i've owned it. Most of those miles were at 75+. I have developed a keen ability to see and recognize the world through eyeballs that are constantly shaking because of this. I'm afraid i'll loose that skill altogether now... no shaking, no buzzing, no anything.. this is the smoothest ride i've ever had. I felt like i was flying.

After a good number of miles I hit the back roads to get home. I dont have twisties near me, and to be honest probably wouldn't know what to do with them if I did. But there are a few really deep curves. I dont my scraping pegs... I've done it by accident more than on purpose, but the shadow "wallows" through deep leans. Its hard to describe but it moves around ALOT when you get to a certain point in your lean. I had gotten used to it, but it did keep me from going into curves hot. I may have a problem now... this bike doesnt move... doesnt wallow... I know understand what the phrase "tracks strait" and "keeps a line" mean. I have been enlightend... i must go in search of the fabled twisties.

I get to my street. I have about a 1/4 mile strait away before my drive way. I decide to "get on it" a little and OH MY GOD. I'm in love.

I've ordered a full set of givi plx v35/v46 for it from twisted throttle.

I'll get you all some pictures soon.

Update: Picture

Last edited:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
What vibration? What do you mean by low power below 5.5K... and what the hell is a digital clutch???? My FZ6 has a cable clutch, my Bandit 1250 has a hydraulic clutch. Are you sure you mean FZ6? Even below 6k rpm, the FZ6 will make you wonder if the Shadow actually had an engine period...

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations:thumbup:. I bought my 07 FZ for 4600 and it was used from someone in midtown. You did well. especially for around here. No one wants to come off the price of anything with 2 wheels. Post pics soon!

ozmodius

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations:thumbup:. I bought my 07 FZ for 4600 and it was used from someone in midtown. You did well. especially for around here. No one wants to come off the price of anything with 2 wheels. Post pics soon!

Hey! .. I live just down the road from you... Byhalia. I bought it from the honda/yamaha dealership in corinth.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! .. I live just down the road from you... Byhalia. I bought it from the honda/yamaha dealership in corinth.

You will not be disappointed in your purchase. I stay in Southaven, Just north of Goodman off of Getwell. Memphis Taco is another Fizzer owner in Memphis on this forum. I think he is in Bartlett. A buddy of mine has a shadow, and he has not said it yet, but I think he wishes he had my FZ. Every time he is around, he has to sit on it. He almost bought one this summer, but he says that he got a better deal on the shadow. His loss, my gain. I now have the one he was eye balling.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write up. You got a great deal on your new ride.

Isn't funny how the media says one thing and the reality is totally different?

You've got a great bike, enjoy! :thumbup:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice posting. I always like posts that compare different bike models, as I've only ever ridden one other bike besides the FZ6. I think the media rides so many bikes that minor insignificant issues (that may possibly be apparent while riding at the bike's limits) become the differences that their articles discuss. I like the look of the Shadow.

el paso

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the report. Your comment on the digital clutch has always been my biggest concern. Did a demo of the previous model ('05) and was unhappy with the minimal friction zone. I understood the latest models were improved. Your report seems to confirm that.