Ride Report - Devils Triangle, TN, and other roads.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
5-21-2011: Devil's Triangle - Google Maps

Well took my new FZ6 for its first long trip. Prior to this, the farthest I had ridden over the last few years was 320 miles over 2 days on my Buell CityX. Yesterday, I managed to do 360 miles, and hit some nice curvy roads, as well as some good ol' country side.

I put the start point from Sloans Motorcycles in murfreesboro, as wlel as the end point there.

Just making this a quick post for the time being, gotta get to bed for work in the morning =P. Overall, nice ride. Devil's Triangle is good and bad. I would say 1/3 - 1/2 of the road is kinda rough, patches everywhere. The section through frozen head is great, nice tight corners, much like the tail of the dragon.

keef

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice looking bike!
Saturday was a great day to ride. Going to have to put Devils Triangle, TN area on my places to camp list.

:thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Where exactly is "Devil's Triangle"?

I've been through the 'tail of the dragon about 5 times (mostly in the roadster) and hit quite a few surrounding roads. Had the most fun on Rt/hwy 26 heading into western SC!

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Devils triangle is highway 161 west of oliver springs. It runs north for a bit, then turns back to the south.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
Devil's Triangle is the stretch of State Rte 116 from Petros, TN to State Rte 330 into Oliver Springs, TN. As the OP said, the section of 116 from the former Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary to the end of Frozen Head State Park (Morgan/Anderson county line) is a blast to ride. From the end of the Park until the 330 intersection it's very bad in spots. I rode this same route about a month ago and the road conditions beyond the State Park are quite bad with lots of patching and gravel in places. There are several active coal mines so expect some truck traffic during the week. Coal trucks often don't like to share the road, so beware!

The good and bad side of the area is that not too many people ride/drive that road. Great curves with only few people to interrupt a good ride, but if you go down you could be on your own for a while.