Review your helmet.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
My dream helmet, if I could afford it, would be the Shoei X-11 Lawson, although after reading cv_rider's review of how loud it is, even with earplugs, I might have to rethink that idea.

Part of my issues on the X-11 is that I'm using it with a tall CalSci windscreen. Everyone knows taller windscreens push turbulence to your head and increase noise. I used the X-11 for a over a year before getting the CalSci and it was never a significant issue. It was, I think, the combination of a tall screen and an inherently noisy helmet that made it unworkable for me. I'm sure with a different windscreen config, it could be okay.

Today I bought a Shoei RF-1000, which is nearly identical to the X-11 but with one less set of vents and supposed to be one of the quietest helmets. I'll be trying it tomorrow!

horacemorris

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Bone Dome

I've used a Nitro NTV1000 Airtech for about a year now.
It fits well but is REALLY noisy without earplugs, and the vents do nothing for the misting up. It's a right old draughtbag and no mistake...but it was half price at the dealers when they were getting new stock in and the shape and paint is excellent.
Would i recommend it?....well, yes as a summer helmet but i'm always tempted to revert to my old Vemar in winter which has no vents at all.

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Caberg V2R Zonda

I have the Caberg V2R Zonda in black and silver, ECE2205 and ACU Gold approved, five star Sharp rating, £103 in the recent J and S Accessories sale.

Pics to follow!

Fit and finish: 10/10
I'm a 60cm head and the Caberg fits like a glove, not too tight but with even pressure all over my head and it doesn't budge at speed. It's got simple but striking graphics which really show up well at night and a fantastic glossy clear coat. All the vent parts fit well with tight gaps, and the visor seals well.

Ease of use: 10/10
Easy to put on with an adjustable buckle type strap with an extra loop to tuck the spare strap into. The visor is completely fog proof and optically perfect with no distortion. The flip down sun visor is brilliant and every helmet should have one!

Noise and ventilation: 8/10
The chin vents are very effective, with a nice stream of fresh air flowing at my lower face when open, and no draughts at all with it shut. The upper vents don't seem to do much when either open or closed. The helmet is fitted with a flexible flap at the chin which really does cut down on turbulence at speed, and it's only when cruising faster than 70mph that noise becomes noticeable. I would definitely advise ear plugs for prolonged high speed riding.

Overall: 9/10
It may not have the pose factor of a race rep Shoei, but for the price it's a fantastic light well featured lid. I'll definitely be buying another one.

Last edited:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
hi there, i too own an agv stealth in size medium. im very happy wiht it overall. it fits snug, not tight (like the ti tech) venting is good. i never got sweaty in summer. the only thing i used to complain about was the lack of ear pockets, the helmet used to crush my dumbo ears when putting it on, once broken in tho its not such an issue and i can even wear sunglasses. the visor should only be cleaned with water, no visor clean wipes etc as it takes off all the anti fog coating. all in all a very good and safe helmet for 230 euro its even sharp 5 star rated

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The helemet i use at the moment is the Marushin x-moto

x_moto_black_thm.jpg

purchased when i owned my motard, it ticked all the boxes..but now is not so suitable even tho it has to option to remove the peak..its noisey and offers poor wind resistance (frostbite on chin :( ) however it is very comfortable

for the application is was made for id give it 6-7/10 purley on the look..but as a sport bike helmet a generous 2/10

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine's a Shoei XR-1000. I love it. I've always had AGV but, unless I want to pay $1200 for a Rossi replica (which I probably would have if I lied the fit), I didn't like the fit or the look of the cheaper models. Still cost me $800 but it's the only one that felt right as soon as put it on. It's pretty quiet and really comfortable. Recommended. :thumbup:

Oh, and it's got butterlies on it..... :cheer:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Review: I have two of the Vega Modular Summit II with flip visors, (which are super-easy to interchange lenses/lens colors). They can be had for around $119 - $139. IMO They look great and the convenience of not only having a flip up shield but of having the ability to flip up the entire front of the helmet is great. There is some wind noise at speed, but not bad and they seem to be very dry in the rain. The main thing I like about them though is the comfort. (The liners are removable for washing)

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Bell Star Contra. Very comfortable, stable at high speeds, good venting, a little wind noise which doesn't bother me
(especially if I'd wear my moulded ear plugs) and it feels very light.
I had a Bell Star save my life in a previous crash so I'm kinda brand loyal.

clrd_2_lnd

Reaction score
Visit site
Scorpion 1000 great helmet sun visor inside is nice, fllips up into helmet for nite use vents well, I live in high desert in ca 100+ in summer it was fine, customer service at Scorpion is awsome had a small problem with the helmet and they sent me a new on after 8 months of use!! Glue on the bottom where black plastic part covers gap came lose. Love the the pump inside to make he helmt fit more snug, great helmet!!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear an AXO RX5 Carbon Kevlar Crosser lid,with a Cyborg Helmet skin.

IMG00064-20100310-2112.jpg

I'd give it a generous 2 out of 10 for practicality!
But a 10 out of 10 for the attention it gets. It's a throwback from my SM days
but I'm getting a new Craft or Bandit with my overtime pay this month,as I'm fed up with the wind trying to pull my head off at motorway speeds :D

Last edited:

detrich

Reaction score
Visit site
does anyone know or have a pix of the scorpion exo-1000 apollo blue with their bike?

i'm wondering how well the scorpion blue matches with yamaha blue...

thanks. :)

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Arai Profile helmet and I would give it a 8.5-9 /10.

There are a few main reasons I really like this helmet - the main one is that I have a bit of a foot-ball shaped head so this beauty fits me like a glove as it is slightly oval shaped. It is very comfortable, and also has decent venting for the warmer summer days, but also kept my noggin pretty warm on the cooler riding days as well.

Another nice thing is that if you wear glasses, you'll find wearing them in this helmet is very comfortable as there are slits in the padding which allow your glasses to sit quite nicely in the helmet instead of being mashed against your head giving you pressure headaches. I've never had a headache in this helmet and I've worn it more than once for 10+ hours constantly.

I would highly recommend Arai products to anyone. This is normally a $1000 helmet, but thanks to a pricing error I managed to snag it for $450 CAN. I've seen them on ebay and other online places for similar prices. Well worth it in my opinion as a comfy helmet is a must given I do a LOT of riding.

I also loved the design as I'm a nurse...hehe

5054_222199285462_509970462_7681895_1371786_n.jpg

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
GMax GM68, Crusader (red), XL
I bought this soley on the web bike world review.
-Fit is perfect, I have a big blocky head
-Graphics and finish are excellent
-Decent noise levels
-Slightly bulky
-Overall solid quality construction
-Ventilation is good
-Optics on visor are excellent
-Can be worn comfortably with sunglasses

GMax GM48, Bones (matte grey), XL
I wanted a second helmet just to mix things up, so I bought another GMax because my GM68 is the most comfortable helmet I've owned.
-Fit is almost as good as the GM68, still great though
-Graphics and finish are excellent
-Noisy at highway speeds
-Fogs a little bit when stopped
-Overall solid quality construction
-Ventilation is decent
-Optics on visor are excellent

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the HJC CL-15 helmet in black.

Pros:
- Very affordable
- OK venting (doesn't really blow into the helmet, it draws hot air out)
- shield removal is simple
- liner removal is simple
- comfortable for my oval head

Cons
- Heavy
- The slightest head turn against the wind blows my head back
- Noisey (its ok when I wear ear plugs)
- One of the liners does not stay snapped in

Conclusion: Great helmet for new riders and commuters. Not recommended for track days and long trips.
I have the new HJC CL16.
The noise is getting to me.:( I do not use ear plugs.
I had a ZOX Corsica before the HJC. The ZOX had way less noise. One good thing about the HJC, less fogging.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my Scorpion EXO-400 in a couple of days ago. I had borrowed my brothers when I bought the bike so I already knew what to expect when I got it. I went with the L rather than the XL that my brother had and it fits a bit better. The noise levels aren't too bad, but I've never ridden in a quiet helmet. Fits good with my glasses. I think I might buy a gmax gm68 for night riding cause of the LED's on the back and they can be had for pretty cheap. I got the scorpion off of ebay for 70 bucks brand new. All in all I give the EXO-400 a 8/10

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Icon Airframe

Weight: 8/10
Noise: 8/10
Look: 7/10
Feels:9/10

Overall a nice helmet for the price. I would actually recommend it.

Scorpion EXO-1000

Weight: 7/10
Noise: 5/10
Looks:10/10
Feels:8/10

Nice looking helmet. The built in sun visor is superb. I am not sure but it feels tighter around my head compared to the Icon which is actually good but does not feel as comfortable. Maybe because it weights more as well? Pretty sure that's it.

Caligula

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably not a bad idea to add a Poll to this thread?

I tried various Arai, Shoei etc. but found the most comfortable (for me) was HJC. Ended up finding the Prism one (looks black in most conditions, but when the sun hits the pattern, it refracts the light.

HJC (I've read) are the worlds largest helmet manufacturer.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably not a bad idea to add a Poll to this thread?

I tried various Arai, Shoei etc. but found the most comfortable (for me) was HJC. Ended up finding the Prism one (looks black in most conditions, but when the sun hits the pattern, it refracts the light.

HJC (I've read) are the worlds largest helmet manufacturer.

Only problem with a poll, there a good and bad in each brand.

My old helmet - AGV - fantastic. The new AGV models - not comfortable.

Same with Shoei - I didn't like the old ones but my XR-1000 - love it (RF-1000 to some of you) :Flash:

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been using Arai helmets for 3 decades now. Every so often I try out others to see how they are, but, I have yet to find one that fits better.

Only not so nice thing on it is its shield bracket design. They have not improve on that at all over the years (IMO).

Also, I am little irritated that they don't bring in European models into US which have better options for shields.

My current pair:
View attachment 26228

Last edited: