Review your helmet.

W

wrightme43

I had a Fulmer AFS7 in the dragon graphic.
Size medium. Ok helmet but noisy. Not super comfortable, not super uncomfortable. Lost two visors at speed on the hiway. Not reccomended.
Not very good venting.

I have a Nitro 1200
Size large.
Good helmet. Comfortable, good vents, nice shield, D rings with snap.
Reccomended under $200 helmet. Hard to keep closed up, and is cold in winter.

I have a Shark RSR2 Furtiff. I am waiting to review it with some long term riding time and in the heat.
What about yours?

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 4 helmets...silly me. One HJC Flip Front. I gave it to a friend that was riding with a brain bucket, but it was okay, but a little noisy and not very stable in high wind.

I have an expensive Schuberth Concept helmet. I love the sun visor that flips down behind the clear shield. However, it's very noisy and not so comfortable and the venting is marginal.

I have a Scorpion EXO dirt helmet...good for dirt.

I have a Scorpion EXO 700 that is my all time favorite helmet. Good, but not great vents, very quiet and very comfortable, looks cool and was really inexspensive.

W

wrightme43

I have never heard anyone say bad about a Scorpion helmet.
From sitting here and letting this new RSR2 sit on my head, it feels like it has a hot spot center crown of my head. I think I am going to have to send it back and get a large. I will give it some more time over the weekend of just wearing it inside the house to see if it loosens up, but it feels just to tight.

Otherwise it is a super nice helmet. 3mm shield, huge vents, it looks like it has a quiet rider built into it. Super plush interior, and great breath deflector. I let it get cold in the garage and put it on iside with no fogging.
Its a shame it feels just to small. I will keep trying to get it broke in, but I just dont think its going to do.
It took 11 days to get this, so it will probley be a while if they will take a return before I can give it a honest review.

W

wrightme43

Well I decided to put it on, and sit in the easy chair and watch t.v. after everyone else went to sleep. I fell asleep and had it on for 2.5 hours. It seems like it is going to work. I didnt wake up with any pressure pains. My ears hurt a little but not bad, so maybe it just needed some time to mold to my head.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
3 here

I have three helmets.. A brand new Aria for me.. A Shoe Oblisk for the passengers and a HJC that I want to get rid of... ( To big for me).... The Aria fits my head the best....

W

wrightme43

Update on the Shark.
After sleeping in it feels just about perfect. I wore it alot today around the house, and then took it out tonight for a rain ride.
In a good soaking rain, not down pour or anything it seals great. No leaks from the venting, no leaks around, over, or under the shield.
VERY quiet.
No fogging, even at stoplights blowing on the shield trying to fog it up on purpose.
Super nice helmet. I would reccomend it. I have a long oval head.
Excellent fit and finish on the helmet.
I did have two cold drips down my neck from the back of the helmet, but that was it.
I only went 15 miles round trip, rode into town to meet with some friends, rode back a hour later, in a mist. Its worse in a mist, there is not enough water to bead up and keep the shield clean.
I have a shield wipe on my gloves so its not that bad.
Overall great helmet so far.

W

wrightme43

I have about 800 miles on the Shark RSR2 now. It is a outstanding helmet. Great venting, very quiet, very comfy. Only complaint I have is the cheek pads are still a little tight. I am sure they will break in as well. It is already much better than it was.
It wieghs 1400 grams.
It is the nicest helmet I have ever worn.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Scorpion EXO 700 with the Crack Head graphic and my old Arai Sprint from like 1991. The Arai is still a good helmet but it has seen better days. The Scorpion so far has been really nice. I like all of the add on stuff I can get for it. I also like the quick change face sheild, I've got the blue reflective and the clear. Venting is great, padding took about 600 miles to conform to my coconut and for the money($225) I think it's a bargin.

SOUTHERNFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Head Can

Me And My Wife Have Hjc Helmets. Not A Bad Can For About 180.00. We Had A Friend Air Brush My Wifes White Helmetwith A Sea Theme. It Has A Sea Horse On Both Sides And Nemo On The Front I'll Try To Get A Photo, Its Cute She Says. I Wound'nt Be Caught Dead In It!

W

wrightme43

LOL
My ladyfriends helmet is a Pink Fulmer. Matte rubatone finish. Its really nice she says. Its called the Apache? I think.
I dont think I would wear it, or the one painted with seahorses.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL me either.. Unless maybe it was pink seahorses....

My helmet is black... Plain Black Aria...

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Exo 700

I also have the Scorpion EXO 700. I like it a lot. It fits very well. I was on the fence between two sizes and figured the snug one was a better bet and the lining would compress. It hasn't and pulls my ears off whenever I remove it. Still, it's very comfortable when riding and has lots of venting options. I will let you know when the 110 F weather comes if I still think the vents are adequate.

I attached a picture of the helmet on my favorite helmet model!

Don't know the pattern name but the color matches the shift red pretty well.

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
HJC CL-SP
size large
polycarbonate shell
~$200 cdn

fit: i have a pretty round head and its a nice, uniform fit wiht out any pressure points
vents: the two top vents are adjustable and seem pretty average (small IMO) and dont seem to make a huge difference, but the chin vent noticeably directs some air up into the visor.
noise: i dont really have much of a basis for comparison, but i would say it is not overly quiet, but i usually wear headphones so its pretty quiet with them in.
looks: has more sculping then most helmets but nothing worth writing home about, available in many colours and patterns
extras: there is a little reflector built into the exit vent on the back. there is a snap to secure the extra chin strap from flapping around. the liner snaps in/out easily for washing. changing the visor is also very easy.

one of the deciding factors for me was the fact that i wear large earings and was one of the few that didnt knock them out when i took it on and off. it was also one of the very few that didnt squish my cheeks uncomfortably.
overall i have no major complaints, little vetter venting would be nice.

mc5f.jpg
mc5f_rear.jpg

Last edited:

GBinAZ

Reaction score
Visit site
have owned a bunch of Shoei's and loved my X11 but just got the new Multitec from Shoei and it is now my helmet of choice. I like the flip up option when gassing up or talking to someone I'm riding with at a stoplight and it's really quiet with the chin guard gizmo in. I also like the cut outs they have for sunglasses so they go on easy and don't get smashed in to the side of your head. Quality is excellent as I've come to expect from Shoei and I like the fact you can buy all the interior pieces so you can custom fit the helmet to your head. Very quiet on the highway and ventilation is good. Maybe not as good as the X11 but still acceptable.

philrose

Reaction score
www.myspace.com
scorpion

I have a Scorpion EXO 700 that is my all time favorite helmet. Good, but not great vents, very quiet and very comfortable, looks cool and was really inexspensive.

I love my scorpion EX400, I barely notice it at all when I ride. Helmet with a great fit for lunkheads like me that is also easy on your wallet.

For riders in Seattle, Seattle Cycle Center on hwy 99/Aurora is a great gear shop.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since someone has brought up the subject of helmets, I have the Scorpion exo 700 - blue raider, which matches my bike. Great helmet for under $200, got it for $139 plus tax. It has gotten great reviews and is rated very high. I am waiting for the new exo-1000 that's coming out at the end of this month. It has dual visors, clear and tinted, no need to switch.

S

sportrider

Bell zepher

I have a Bell Zepher,($80.00)
my wife has an HJC ($169.00)
I have a spare HJC open face
my kids wear a small Bieffe when I take them around the block.
ZEUS skull cap (a $25.00 H-D leftover)
a non DOT legal german skull cap (same as above) novelty helmet.
and a Bieffe MX helmet from the motocross days

besier

Reaction score
Visit site
Suomy Vandal

My previous helmet was a HJC and the Suomy fits my head better. I tried on a Arai and it didn't fit as nice (I appologize for the lack of model names, but the Aria was a little more than the $499.99 Suomy) I have ridden about 1000km with the Suomy and I have only one small complaint about the wind noise on the highway, but for longer trips I use ear plugs anyway! I had issues with fogging with the HJC but even if I try to fog up the Suomy I can't do it. (7 degrees Celcius the other morning and I couldn't get it to fog up) Although not a selling feature for me, but the liner is hypo-allergenic. Venting is excellent, lots of air p***ing through. Overall a decent mid-price helmet in my mind, but fit was a big factor.

J

jeffm

I have an HJC-AC11 that is 3 years old very comfortable and economical.

Went to Mid-Ohio 2 weeks ago and tried on Arai and best one for my head turned out to be the Vector. But then I came accross a Shoei RF-1000 for $299.00 in a discontinued graphic (Nerve) so I tried that one and it felt good. So I only have a little over 100 miles on that one but so far it moves much more air than the HJC especially if you open all of the vents. But that does increase the noise level especially on the highway.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
HJC CL-MAX (modular/flip up face)
$145 From newenough dot com

It's a decent helmet, a little noisy but that's to be expected with a flip up helmet. It's suprising cool and the vents move a lot of air. The shield can be a little stubborn and takes a bit of extra torque to move up and down through the detents. The lowest detent is perfect for allowing a bit of extra air to flow through. It also doesn't completely seal when closed, shoddy work in my opinion. The face shield will fog up quickly on a cool morning, but the vents are quick to clear it away (as long as you are moving, sit at a light long enough and it'll white out completely). The flip up chin is quick and easy, single button make one handed operation simple.

General Rating is 6/10, it's a decent flip-up but I wish I had gone with an AGV instead (beetter styling and workmanship from what i've seen).