Review your helmet.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I broke one of the vent covers off of my helmet sometime this weekend. I think a piece of debri or a really big bug must have knocked it loose. Helmet still functions of course but it looks kind of silly and I figure thats a good enough reason to get a new helmet:thumbup:. Right now it's kind of between a Scorpion Exo 1000 and a Shark RSI. I kind of want to wait for the Schuberth R1, but it's not available here in the states yet and there's no telling when it will be. Main things for me is I want a quiet helmet with good venting and I kind of like the flip down sun-shades in the R1 and Exo 1000. Anybody have any input on any of these?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently own a Scorpion 700, and have been watching very closely for their 1000 to come out. It was suppose to come out in June or July but it got pushed back another couple of months. I don't think it will be available until Sept or October. But I think it will be worth the wait. I understand that it will have dual visors, meaning that you won't have to swap out your exhisting face shields for day and night use.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I had/have a KBC Vision (red patriot graphics) which I liked ok but found a little noisy (might have been a smidge looser than optimum), just acceptable venting, only a fair fit of the shield, and the paint/graphic quality wasn't perfect. of course I got it on closeout for $99 so it's hard to be too upset.

Changed to a Shoei RF-1000 (red Nerve graphics, paid $300) and couldn't be happier - better quality everything, better venting, quieter, better optics - I also really like the three position shield lever (vent, close, lock). My only quibble is why they have they own strap clip-thing that goes into the d-ring slot instead of a simple snap.

I tried to buy a Shark RSF2i in between but my head is too round - my co-worker ended up with it and is happy. It seemed like nearly as nice as the Shoei but a different shape and maybe a little less effective venting. Sweet shield change system with the button though.

CC32

Reaction score
Visit site
Fulmer Review

I have a Fulmer AFM Modus flip-up. Its quite nice for $170. Fits well, comfortable and the visor works well with 6 positions. Ventilation is OK and the black chrome paint job looks very cool, even though I wanted something brighter for conspicuity. I bought the one helmet in the store that seemed to fit. The vents whistle a bit at highway speed though.

Would like to move up to a Shoei Multitec or X-11, or Arai Profile. The first time I tried on a full face I about had a panic attack due to claustrophobia. That's why I went for the flip-up. I think I could handle a regular full face now.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently own a Scorpion 700, and have been watching very closely for their 1000 to come out. It was suppose to come out in June or July but it got pushed back another couple of months. I don't think it will be available until Sept or October. But I think it will be worth the wait. I understand that it will have dual visors, meaning that you won't have to swap out your exhisting face shields for day and night use.

The 1000 is available (at least it is available online). I haven't tried one on yet, but I'm pretty sure I saw one in the local shop the last time I was there.

Scorpion EXO-1000 Apollo Motorcycle Helmet :: New Enough Motorcycle Apparel

Gdubya

Reaction score
Visit site
#1.) Cheapo MAX helmet bought for the MSF course till I figured out what I really wanted. Not bad comfort, but noisy at speed, next to no venting, and the build quality was suspect with uneven gaps between liner/shell and sometimes hard to lift the visor due to clearance over the vents. $35 new with shipping. Way better than nothing.

#2.) Scorpion Exo-700. Fit me better than anything other than Arai. And it was $139 shipped. Much quieter and cooler than the cheapo. New antifog shields are WAY better than the old. New clear shield (came with it) never fogs for me (and I wear glasses so no breath guard, it just fogs my glasses worse) older mirrored visor, I gotta pop up at stoplights every humid AM I wear it. Good thing is you can swap shields fast without opening the toolbox.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a Syko Orbit lid for £25 ($50) as part of a bundle of gear. I got a small so it would fit my wife or daughter. I expected it to be a POS, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It has a chin & Brow vents. The Visor rachets smoothly up & down. It has a quick release buckle. I can't comment on wind noise or comfort as It don't fit me. Oh yeah, and the colours match the supersmooth lightening fast gunmetal variety.

My helmet is an Arai Chaser, in Ealge Blue, cost me £300 ($600). I tried on a number of helmets before I settled on this one. I liked the Caberg V2 which has a cool inner flip down tinted visor (very Top Gun). I also liked the Shoei Raid. But, when I tried the Arai on I knew immediately that this was the one. It just fitted right. It was a 100 quid more than I had intended to spend, but hey, It's your head it's protecting!

It comes standard with a fog city visor insert so no misting up. All the linings are removable & replaceable. Loads of vents, although for preference I ride with the visor open - wind in your face all that stuff you know. a Bit noisy at speed with the visor up. But nice & quiet with it down - I still tend to use the last but one notch. It's a brilliant helmet.

C Zer

Minnesota Bound
Reaction score
Visit site
Scorpion EXO-700

Bought a new helmet this summer - Scorpion EXO-700. This is a discontinued model, the Red Fury, manufactured in Sept 2006, on close out for $150. This was from Metricbikes Superstore, but I'm no longer seeing that price from them. I should also note that Metricbikes was pretty slow in shipping, it took five business days for them to get it out the door to me.

For reference, I was previously wearing a Shoei TZ-1, which was several years old and had been dropped on the garage floor one too many times. Here are my initial impressions:

Comfort/weight: Overall comfort is pretty good. It does not seem overly heavy, fit is good and supportive. Liner fabric is a little on the abrasive side when pulling the helmet on, but no problem once in place (I have very little hair) and probably helps hold things in place. I also wear glasses, and I am having some difficulty getting them on in a normal position because of the way the helmet fits around the ears.

Quality/fit finish: generally good, one side of breath box keeps popping out, which is irritating but probably easy to fix.

Noise: Good at blocking out highway and exhaust noise. Wind noise is the same or less than my previous lid, but leaning forward a bit significantly increases wind noise, so it seems like the helmet was designed for a more upright riding position.

Air flow: Given the number of holes they have punched in this thing, I expected a breeze to be blowing through, air movement seems minimal at best. Maybe it is just subtle, but being a baldy, I usually notice this pretty clearly. Anti-fog seems to work, haven't had a good test day yet.

Visibility: No problem with peripheral vision. Breath box blocks view downward view in the center, and makes it impossible to see instrument cluster without tilting my head down.

Overall opinion: Satisfactory. Very good given price. Were it not for the abuse it had taken, I'd be tempted to go back to my Shoei (for those of you who have not heard this... you should consider replacing a helmet that has been dropped, micro-fractures can reduce the integrity of the helmet, and you should replace your helmet every few years regardless).

And no, the red does not match the (faster than blue) red color of my '06 very well.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The 1000 is available (at least it is available online). I haven't tried one on yet, but I'm pretty sure I saw one in the local shop the last time I was there.

Scorpion EXO-1000 Apollo Motorcycle Helmet :: New Enough Motorcycle Apparel
None of the stores in Salt Lake City had it yet. I tried clicking the link you provided and it said I can't select that item yet, but they'll send me an email when it becomes available.

My bike's previous owner threw in the helmet, and luckily it fit me perfectly. It's a Gmax brand, which I haven't found advertised or sold anywhere. It's a nice helmet, and has the flip-up front (modular?) design which works well. I want to replace it as its flat black; kinda warm in the sunshine and a possible contributing factor to the number of cagers who've tried to take me out already, need a brighter-colored helmet. The Scorpion 1000 appeals to me with the adjustable air cheek cushions, and the integral sunshade, that'd be nice (although its not modular). My Gmax will suffice until the Scorpion becomes available.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Few other Shoei's here, weird. All anybody wears here are Shoei's and Arai's, with the occasional HJC.

I wear the Shoei TZ-R Nightmare TC-1.

Shoei TZ-R Full Face Helmet - Nightmare TC-1 - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

It is an XL in size. It fits my head beautifully. The venting is decent for only having 2 front vents. It could use a couple in the rear, but that is just me and I ride in 100+ degree weather. In cooler weather on the coast it is almost too cool. The air is channeled through the shell to various spots on your head.
Visibility is excellent. Weight is pretty good. It is much more comfortable than my Bell dirt helmet, though I would hope so. It even has good coverage for my chin. It does let a little bit of air in over my face and this can dry out my contacts after a long day (400+ miles).

Shields are easy to come by and are easily changed.
The anti-fog unfortunately was removed when I cleaned the inside of the shield with windex, this was remedied with a quick wipe of Rain-X.

The main reason I bought this hemet was it was one of the few that fit my head at the time I bought my bike. I have since fallen in love with it, and get many comments from people about the color scheme which is a bit on the unusual side.

It is pretty quiet, though the shields can get a bit distorted if you raise and lower them too much resulting in a slight whistle with my head at the right angle.

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
i have a KBC VR-1 in chrome and its nice and quiet, comfortable but i cannot ride it with my glasses, I also have a ROOF Boxer possibly the most comfortable helmet i have ever worn shame it fogs up and has not vents but the chin bar does rotate all the way over, my other lid is open face and is a HJC Jet II nice and comfy but does lift at over 80mph despite being a perfect fit am looking for a new lid but cannot decide Arai/Shoei/Agv or another KBC

Reaction score
Visit site
Being a tobacco dipping redneck, I naturally prefer modular helmets. My 1st was a Fulmer Modus. It was noisy and the ventilation was mediocre but I had nothing to compare it to. It also seemed to really catch the wind when I looked over my shoulder. This got a lot better when I found out it was too big and bought a size smaller. The noise also improved a little. The mechanism was smooth and easy to operate but the latches looked really flimsy. So, I recently upgraded to a matte black Shoei Multitec. It is much quieter and doesn't seem to buffet quite as bad at high speed. It is a little tighter on my cheeks than I would like but would probably be fine if I would just lose a little weight. Overall though it is pretty comfortable and lighter than the Fulmer. There is much more padding than in the Fulmer. That, in combination with the more sturdy looking metal latches, makes me feel safer. Flipping the face up is still a one handed operation but the release is a little harder to find and operate in gloves. My main complaint is that it seems to fog worse than the Fulmer. If I stop, it fogs, period. This is kind of surprising to me because it seems to be better ventilated. I have yet to try Rain-X or any kind of anti-fogging wipe. It does defog quickly when I start moving again. I also don't like that the upper padding is not removable/washable. This is not an issue as of yet but I'm afraid it will be next summer. I paid $129 for the Fulmer and about $400 for the Shoei. Bottom line: The Multitec is quieter and the Shoei name makes me feel safer but without any objective safety testing data, it's hard for me to say it was worth it.

H

HavBlue

I have 17 helmets in a variety of colors and for a variety of uses from MX to Sport to cruisin. They are from HJC, Vega, Z1R, Shoei, KBC, Nitro and a couple others. I enjoy them all for a variety of reasons and hope I never have to find out how bad or good they actually work. I like the HJC full face and MX helmets as they are very comfortable and their price is very reasonable. Parts for their helmets are easy to get as well. On the FZ6 I use a CS10 for night rides and a CL14 for day use.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bone Dome

I purchased my HJC after a helmet review by ride.
Ride Triangles - Product Tests
The review was 2005. I was unable to open the link this morning. I chosse the HJC as it performed at a level that was better than some so called better brands. I have been really impressed with the HJC 11. Noise is not an issue as I wear ear plugs for more than my work commute.
Nitro has mixed reviews in the UK as a budget type helmet. After witnessing this I would certainly consider one.
This helmet was damaged during the national speedway sidecar championships. The outfit lost control doing about 45 - 50 mph whilst cutting across the infield. The outfit flipped and ejected both riders. One we imobilised and transfered to hospital with back injuries. The owner of the helmet walked away. As the outfit flipped the passenger side landed on his head. Were talking about 300lbs falling from 8 foot at speed. I think that is testiment to the helmet.

Since this post I purchased an AGV K series helmet, it is in the same price range as the HJC. In the shop it felt great. On the road, the vents are poor, wind noise not to bad. No anti fog in the visor (HJC comes as standard) only the crown liner is washable. It also has a good quick release syetem.
In my opinion the HJC is far superior to the AGV.

Neil

Last edited:

au.FZ6N

destroyer of worlds
Reaction score
Visit site
just bought the below today

also have a shoei TZR obelisk (too big after dropping the weight), OGK aeroblade 2 (worlds crappiest ever made helmet....), MDS pillion helmet (cheap), Suomy old school, Nolan old school road helmet), couple of dirt helmets too. i havnt had reason to chuck many helmets out yet, i should probably just go and do it, but they look cool set up in the garage :)

so far the KBC is ugly

god ugly

rediculously ugly

but it was at the shop, it fitted, i had the cash, i think i was drunk or coked up or something....

Hazardous006

Reaction score
Visit site
I myself have a Scorpion Exo 700. No major complaints for me. felt great out of the box, no major hot spots, great venting. Most people say the quick chnge is difficult to use but i change between a clear and reflective visor without any troubles. Wasnt bad for the price i paid for it ($125). And for the fact that i have been in 3 accidents with this helmet and the manufacter says its still in great condition tells me that everyone else i know should get one.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just bought the below today

also have a shoei TZR obelisk (too big after dropping the weight), OGK aeroblade 2 (worlds crappiest ever made helmet....), MDS pillion helmet (cheap), Suomy old school, Nolan old school road helmet), couple of dirt helmets too. i havnt had reason to chuck many helmets out yet, i should probably just go and do it, but they look cool set up in the garage :)

so far the KBC is ugly

god ugly

rediculously ugly

but it was at the shop, it fitted, i had the cash, i think i was drunk or coked up or something....

I must admit I kinda like the design. but then again my wife always says I've got no fashion sense ;)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Nolan N101 flip-up. I am very happy with it. I must admit it was one of the few helmet that fitted me well. I think I have a wierd shaped head as most of the other flip-ups were too tight around the jaw. So it was either a size up which didn't fit the rest of my head snuggly, or feeling as if I was having my jaw crushed.
Here are a few other reviews Motorcycle Gear Review
I love the chin guard in the winter, with this fitted I don't need a balaclava, it totally seals the helmet, keeping me nice and warm.
I love the flip-up in the summer whilst riding around town.
If there was one thing I had to say was a drawback is the amount of ventilation, but this is partly due to the sealed chin guard.
The N101 helmet has now been replaced by Nolan, but I'm still very happy with it.